LegacyGT.com

A cat in my car

So the lady and I are picking up a.... Dare i say it here......a cat.... in two weeks and i have to say, as excited as i am to have a cat in my life again....i cant even comprehend letting him in the prestine backseat of my car at the moment. I already bought a pet hammock for the back seat which basically grabs onto the front and rear headrests and completely covers the seats except for the doors. Im worried about the kitten gouging the leather there.

Our intention is to use the wifes car as the primary transport as its a 89 chevy which imo is a heap. But there may be occasions when i have to take the little guy in my car. Anyone here have a car and want to share their ideas/cautions?

I regularly have my girlfriends two pomeranians in the car. She made a heavy duty seat cover for the back seat. I'm not sure if the leather in the spec B is the same (I assume it would be) but it seems pretty resilient and least to fairly dull dog claws. Declawing the cat would be a big help lol. Biggest pain for me is constantly cleaning up the fur.

Get a cat carrier (cage). Unlike a dog, a cat (free to roam) will be all over the car, exploring and getting into mischief.

Remember, you can call a dog, but a cat will just take a message.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

So the lady and I are picking up a.... Dare i say it here......a cat.... in two weeks and i have to say, as excited as i am to have a cat in my life again....i cant even comprehend letting him in the prestine backseat of my car at the moment. I already bought a pet hammock for the back seat which basically grabs onto the front and rear headrests and completely covers the seats except for the doors. Im worried about the kitten gouging the leather there.

Our intention is to use the wifes car as the primary transport as its a 89 chevy which imo is a heap. But there may be occasions when i have to take the little guy in my car. Anyone here have a car and want to share their ideas/cautions?

got a link for the back seat cover ?

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Cats claws are like razor blade compared to a dog's claws, so I wouldn't transport them in the car without a carrier. When I bring my pussies to get groomed, I place them each in their own carrier, facing each other in the hatch area of the wagon.

Letting a cat roam free in the car is a recipe for disaster, and doesn't make you an animal person, but rather an idiot. IMHO of course.

It all depends on the cat. I have two. One of them is good to sit on my wife's lap while we drive. The other will make a mess and must be crated.

A kitten, just put it in one of those cardboard carriers.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Everyone else is removing cats from their car and you're ADDING one?

I've seen a few mellow cats just hang out comfortably in cars. I've also seen psycho freak out cats bouncing off the windows and yowling and crying like someone had poisoned them.

I think if you get it comfortable in a carrier from a young age it should be cool to just throw him/it in the carrier when you need to go in the car.

When I take a turn a little hard or stop fast my dog just falls over or bounces off the seat (yes I'm an amazing dog owner, haha). If he had cat claws I'm sure he would just sink them into my pretty leather interior and keep his grip.

It all depends on the cat. I have two. One of them is good to sit on my wife's lap while we drive. The other will make a mess and must be crated.

A kitten, just put it in one of those cardboard carriers.

my cat used to shit everytime we put him in the car (always used a carrier), never had to worry about getting a stool sample for the vet :)

• Mega Users
A kitten will probably mess with any towels that you put down and eventually get to the leather. Best bet is to get a carrier. I had a cat a while back that would constantly walk around in the car. When I would turn, he would dig his claws into the back seat. He also would lay on the dash behind the steering wheel.

it highly depends on the cat, but as a kitten you should get a carrier. not only will it protect your interior, but it will train the cat to stay in the carrier during travel. one thing i learned is that a cat in a carrier will be very vocal if it doesn't like where it is (aka meowing your entire trip), so you may as well just get it adjusted to traveling. my cat would sleep on my lap in the car or find another comfy spot when he was tired, but also would often explore the car...its not fun trying to concentrate on the road while keeping a cat from going down by the pedals.

edit: a carrier will also contain any pee/poop as well. the LAST thing you want is the scent of cat urine in the rugs/leather etc as its hard to get out and smells horrible.

Archived