LegacyGT.com

Shallow door dents?

reddog15

Hello all, I have very shallow door dents that have appeared in the upper right corner of each door. They are above and to the right of the door handles and are un-noticeable unless viewed from the right angle. I know that the doors were not hit with anything. My theory is that in the heat (phoenix) the panels are expanding and causing the deformations. Anyone else run across this?

i have two unexplainable dents on the driver side. one is at the top of the rear quarter panel(between the little window and and rear window). The other one is on the same panel but closer to the tire. the reason why i say that they are unexplainable is: there isn't a single scratch or mark around that area. it's as if someone just used their finger to push them in. If someone can shed some light on this mystery i would really appreciate it.

Yes, I get these too - it's almost like someone leaned up against the car. I have a couple. They are VERY frustrating, but probably unnoticeable by anyone except for me.

I'm thinking dent wizard would take them out very easily.

I feel as though it might be that the metal is just that thin.

If they're anything like what they use in their WRX cars, they ARE that thin. A coworker of mine managed to make some indentations into a friend's WRX just by pushing/leaning (accidently of course) into the car with his *fingers*. They were slight, but they were there.

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

dent wizard is the answer..These cars have very thin panels. Find a dent wizard location and become friends. Mine was in already for a door ding and two soft pushes that happened at the dealer.

Just because there is no paint missing or scratches doesnt mean it wasnt hit by a door.

Oh WOW! I thought I was going mad. I found an indentation on the passenger-side back door. By the time I had the dent doctor by to take care of it, there was a SECOND indentation on the passenger back door. (I park in my personal garage, and when out and about, you'll find the car parked 'way out in the north 40.) Now there is an indentation above the door handle on the driver's side. I'm convinced that only one was a real door ding. The others just sort of magically "appeared."

Yes, dent doctor should get em out easy enough...but why would they occur spontaneously?

7 years of parking my old Explorer in a side-by-side outdoor parking lot, and no dings. 3 days of Subaru in a closed garage, and 2 dings. Amazing.

AAAWWWWW!!!!!!!

I hate the Leg thin skin.

I got the same dent above the driver side door handle.

I was thinking, no way a door in a parking lot did that!!!!

Way too high.

No paint damage.

Not noticable by anyone but me, but still.....

You want thin sheet metal (if that's what you can even call it...)?

My Acura EL (Canadian Civic Si) had been to Dents Unlimited twice over the last 7 years, each session they took out 12 plus dents all over the car.

That was with extra care and attention taken over the years to avoid parking beside grandma's in their Benzes... but it didn't matter, dents would just show up all the time.

The Leg. seems to be made of stronger than my last tin-can Acura, but it still worries me.

Oh well, a hundred bucks a year to get the car dent-free is a small price to pay...

Funny,

I'm going to the Dent Wizard on Friday. I have the dent above the driver's door handle many people are talking about, and 5 small dents on the passenger side rear doors! I've always noticed late model Honda's and Acuras with these dents, but not Subaru's.

Whoever is only paying $100.00 a year for dent free ride, has a pretty good deal because my quote is closer to $200.00!

Funny,

I'm going to the Dent Wizard on Friday. I have the dent above the driver's door handle many people are talking about, and 5 small dents on the passenger side rear doors! I've always noticed late model Honda's and Acuras with these dents, but not Subaru's.

Whoever is only paying $100.00 a year for dent free ride, has a pretty good deal because my quote is closer to $200.00!

200.00 US for only 6 dents? I think you might be getting hosed.

My deal with my guy is 80.00 cash and roughly 5 bucks a dent after that... there is a lot of haggle room with him as it's a small business and he's not the only guy in town.

Who knows? Others here might have much better deals than me... but shopping around and haggling is key.

I think I remember PatagonianGT saying that he gets single dents taken out by a guy in his town for 35 bucks...

Thanks for the response! I think I am going to cancel my appointment and shop around. 5 of the dents are located on one panel and so small I am the only one who notices. You would think most of the labor time is taking off the interior panels of the doors to get to the inside.

Most guys locally here don't take off the door panels, they just tap a small hole in the door edge underneath any weather stripping (so you can't see it, and thread in the popper tools in from there.

If you are getting quoted that high price due to all the labor involved with the door or interior panels, then that is understandable. But there are cheaper, faster ways to remove dents that are widely used.

• 1 month later...

Dents don't come back after you pull them. Something would have to hit your car to cause them again.

Check with your dealership. Most dealerships have someone come in to pull dents from trade in vehicles and such. If you can find out when that person will be there then you can usually get your car in line with the rest of them.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Dents don't come back after you pull them. Something would have to hit your car to cause them again.

Dents don't normally appear for no reason in the first place though -- and my dent (like others posted in this thread) seems to have appeared out of nowhere for no reason.

I'm just worried that whatever warping of the metal to cause the dent in the first place will do it again. So spending money on a dent that is hardly noticeable to just have reappear would suck.

Your right though, normally a dent shouldnt' come back if fixed properly.

I do PDR for a living in the Columbus GA area for over seven years. And no dents don't reappear after they are repaired. Most dents can be fixed w/o removing the door panels, od drilling a hole. Most PDR companies charge per panel ranging form $35-75 a panel. I personally think the dents on the legacys are caused from closing the door with something in your hands, perhaps keys or even a ring or something. Because they dont have upper door pillars that's were most of us close the door, up by the handles. That's just my observation.

I found one on my passanger side door. I know it was a white car(but not the one that took its space) luckily its just a dent and not paint...otherwise I would have went out of my way to teach him to be a little more considerate.

Archived