LegacyGT.com

how to reduce catless smell?

just bought a legacy, has a cnt catless dp and also Stage 2 cobb OTS map. dont really like the smell when its idling and if i step on it it makes its way into the cabin as well. I dont hear any exhaust leaks but its possible a gasket is loose as well.

from what i gather i might be much better off with a protune and this will help reduce the smell. i was also thinking of having a hi flow cat welded in.

thoughts?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Street cars should have cats.

Period.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

just bought a legacy, has a cnt catless dp and also Stage 2 cobb OTS map. dont really like the smell when its idling and if i step on it it makes its way into the cabin as well. I dont hear any exhaust leaks but its possible a gasket is loose as well.

from what i gather i might be much better off with a protune and this will help reduce the smell. i was also thinking of having a hi flow cat welded in.

thoughts?

I would not hack up the DP I would get a quality DP with a cat or go back to a stock DP and tune. There is no tune the will improve the catless smell. The only way to stop it would be to seal your cabin from all outside air souces.

Gee most of us old guy's don't even notice the smell. May be that's because our panerts cars didn't have cat's either.

My wagon smells just like my parents 1960's cars. Nothing wrong with that. Look at all us old people...there's nothing wrong with us....lol

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators
I would actually install a cat in your current pipe rather than sell it and replace. I say this because you'll lose money selling / shipping the CNT, and because if you get one custom-welded in you can choose where to put it. Unless you spend big dollars on a cobb downpipe, you'll end up with the cat in your engine bay. By going the custom route, you can have a catted pipe for the cost of the cat + the cost of the welding (shouldn't be much) and you can have the cat welded in at the back of the pipe to reduce underhood temps.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

lol this is just masking the problem. i dont want it to smell anywhere[/QUO

Just try it for the sake of pete!:rolleyes: It works. Save your money because you will still smell fumes either way, if it's raw fuel or rotten egg smell.

I would actually install a cat in your current pipe rather than sell it and replace. I say this because you'll lose money selling / shipping the CNT, and because if you get one custom-welded in you can choose where to put it. Unless you spend big dollars on a cobb downpipe, you'll end up with the cat in your engine bay. By going the custom route, you can have a catted pipe for the cost of the cat + the cost of the welding (shouldn't be much) and you can have the cat welded in at the back of the pipe to reduce underhood temps.

thanks, this is pretty much my debate. just buying the cnt catted pipe and hoping to sell my used one or just welding in a cat. Any idea how much a hi flow cat is by itself?

I am lucky enough to have MAP and grimmspeed shops in my area

lol this is just masking the problem. i dont want it to smell anywhere[/QUO

Just try it for the sake of pete!:rolleyes: It works. Save your money because you will still smell fumes either way, if it's raw fuel or rotten egg smell.

no prob ill give it a go, its also possible i have a small leak in the dp/stock exhaust bracket

^ I can only smell mine when I pull into the parking spot at work and then back up into the spot.

Get your car tuned first, it may be rich.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

The problem is you never smell it unless you romp on it, the I would smell it. When the car was stock I would get rotten egg smell under the same conditions. The exhausters are right by here the exhaust exits. Some type of negative pressure happens with the windows cracked open and draws the fumes in.

^ I can only smell mine when I pull into the parking spot at work and then back up into the spot.

Get your car tuned first, it may be rich.

thought about this as well. it does seem to suck gas down really quick as well. it has an ots cobb stage 2 map

The problem is you never smell it unless you romp on it, the I would smell it. When the car was stock I would get rotten egg smell under the same conditions. The exhausters are right by here the exhaust exits. Some type of negative pressure happens with the windows cracked open and draws the fumes in.

have had windows up most of the time and this still happens. I feel like whatever comes out of the BOV comes into the air vents, no?

thought about this as well. it does seem to suck gas down really quick as well. it has an ots cobb stage 2 map

have had windows up most of the time and this still happens. I feel like whatever comes out of the BOV comes into the air vents, no?

What does the car get for MPG. My wagon's dash will read over 24mpg most of the time. The other week it was stumbling a bit at part throttle. The tuner took our 3% fuel for starters and tweaked a few other things.

He made some adjustment and said that should help the MPG on the drives to VT this winter.

Get the car tuned, the fuel smell shouldn't be that bad.

Archived