LegacyGT.com

Thermostat 5eat trans cooler???

BlackBird97

I have done a search on this multiple times and wasn't able to come up with anything. I was wondering should there be a thermostat on trans cooler? I live in Chicago, so I have 105* weather and - 5* weather. Would it make a difference having one? Thanks for the input guys! Also, would you be able to recommend me products? Thanks again.

With that size cooler and cold winters, you'll definitely want the t-stat. Without it your car will act as if it's cold for much longer than stock. You'll probably only make use of it for racing, towing, or on really hot days, anyway. But it does give you the option of going with a full aluminum aftermarket rad when the OEM goes, which is usually only available for manual trans (no built-in trans cooler).

The TruCool has a low pressure drop bypass, which is like a t-stat, built it, but the temp for full flow is much lower than the 13011, which is 180*.

Thank you so much for the response! Do you think this is a good setup for a 09 lgt stage 1? This car is just a daily driver, I'll be doing a lot of stop and go driving on the highways and in the city. Good ol Chicago temperatures will go from 105 in the summer to negative 5 in the winter. I wasn't sure if this was over kill or not. Do you think it is?

I don't think that set up is overkill, just cheap insurance. The car will warm up like normal, once exceeding 180F it'll allow the TruCool 4454 to cool the ATF. In the event that the TruCoool 4454 "overcools" the ATF, the Derale will by-pass and run the ATF like normal. So in the event extra cooling capacity needed, you'll have it but only when you need it.

Archived