LegacyGT.com

quick Key question

i just got my LGT and the dealer only had one Key for it i need to get a 2nd one i did some google and found the transponder keys for it for under 20 but want to make sure they will work the same with no issues i know that it needs to be programed by the dealer just dont want to give them a 100 for key and programing vs just 50 for the programing.

any one bought a key off the web and had it programed?

I ordered my 2nd key from Fred Beans and actually ended up taking it to Fred Beans to have it programmed (they charge the least around here for programming).

I had a great experience with them, I would suggest using Fred Beans.

• 3 months later...
Thats the key I got. However, I don't see where it says the price includes programming. They will cut the key for you for no charge, but Fred Beans can't program a key then send it to you. They need all the keys for your car and your car to program it.

Has anyone bought the 08-09 all-in-one key yet? Here's the Fred Beans link:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/subaru-legacy-all-in-one-key.html

If it works for $65 including programming, I might get one.

Like Phila said; you need to take the key and your car to your local dealer to have them programmed. It's $105 at mine, which is the dealbreaker for me. $170 is way too much for a new key...

I got my key from Fred Beans and took it there to get programmed. $100 total for everything.

Shop around. The closest dealer to me wanted $70 just for the programming. I only had to drive 15 minutes longer to Fred Beans.

Program the key yourself...
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I bought a second programed key at a local hardware store.

They had the key blank with the un-programed transponder. I watched as they duplicated the key and then stuck my key in little box and it copied the code, then they stuck in the new key and programed the transponder. It all took less than 5 minutes, and cost me $65.

I bought a remote off ebay for $18 and programmed it myself.

It's a good thing too, because last week I was trying a Momo shifter knob and got out and locked my key & remote in the car by using the door lock button. Now, I'm only using the remote to lock the car.

I'm in the same boat, only had 1 key. Bought that same all in one key off eBay for $35 and called Subaru dealers in the area for best price to program. Cheapest to reprogram my existing key and cut/program new one was $55. So just a shade under $100 to get new key and have it programed.

I got the all in one key from Fred beans. I called all the local dealers, most wanted $50 or more but one only charged $20. So I had the key for $85.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Yep, I went to van bortel in victor NY. They charged me $20, the service guys were surprised it worked and said they would recommend the newer key to other customers from now on.

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Any reason this wouldn't work

I mean I'd still bring it to a dealer to be programmed, do you think they wouldn't do it because it wasn't a genuine Subaru key? I only need the second crap key for a remote start/alarm install. I wouldn't even have it cut.

That would be a question to ask the dealer or locksmith you plan to have do the programming.

The key would most likely have to be cut because the key must be inserted in the ignition and turned on for programming.

Check with your local lock smith to see if they can do the reprogramming. Some do, some don't, and it may be cheaper.

• 1 month later...

Archived