LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy 2.5i Mods

So, what can be done to a 2.5i performance-wise? The car quite slow and needs to be fastar. Intake? Exhaust?

How about suspension- or brake-wise? Would LGT sport springs/coilovers or upgraded brake pads/stainless-steel brake lines fit?

I already have a set of dedicated summer performance tires on order. I also know that there is a member here with a modded silver 2.5i, but I can't remember their username.

Welcome fellow Canuck!

Don't waste your money on intakes and exhaust. It'll just cost a ton of money, make your car sound like a rice-mobile, and will net you less than 10hp, total.

Turn your car into a suspension/ handling beast. anti-sway bars, springs or coilovers, and upgraded tires will net you a huge driving improvement. One that you will notice.

Getting intakes or exhaust doesn't cost a ton of money, you just gotta look for deals. I got my Injen intake for just a bit over $200 and my Perrin axleback for $500. Beautiful sound with a little gain in power (READ: Not like a 'rice-mobile'). I've borrowed a friends Borla header to try out and I didn't like the loss in midrange torque, considering it is already suffering from lack of power I had to remove it.

Like Gire said turn your car into a corner carver. Start with some rotors and pads, better tires, springs or coilovers, anti-sways and you'll have a Legacy that will out corner most GTs out there.

Thanks for the input.

I do want an exhaust simply for the rumble; a little gain in power wouldn't hurt, either ;)

In terms of brakes, I plan on ordering lines, pads, and rotors. Suspension-wise, anti-sway bars and sport-springs are a must on my list, and I have ordered a set of Falken FK-452 tires.

I'm not sure about coilovers because the roads in Toronto are terrible and I don't want to feel every single bump on the road.

i'd recommend swift springs and try to get yourself some bielstien struts.. nice combo there. run rsb's. i wouldn't recommend a fsb just because its my own personal taste and opinion on wanting more oversteer vs. understeer. since i doubt you have the pzero motor, you can opt for an aftermarket cai, headers and an exhaust system, but do mind the piping and not going too large of a diameter through...

good luck w/ the modding and keep us up on the updates.

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

For springs you should check into a used set of Pinks, or iON's.

As for a little boxer rumble, it's cool, but I am just a little jaded because there is a kid in town here who has a newish Impreza 2.5i with the loudest freakin' exhaust I've ever heard on a Subaru, turbo or not. I can hear him half a mile away.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Don't be that guy, OK?;)

Unfortunately there is not much available in terms of 2.5i performance. There is a a company right now called AVO that is working on a Turbo that will be about 6psi. They are working on a test model. It was supoosed be done late last year but it never happend. It is taking a bit more time than expected. There is a thread on it that you can look at. The bad news with the turbo, however, is that even when it is finished, it will cost about 4000$. For that kind of money you can come close to upgrading to LGT. This small intake stuff and exhaust will do nothing. 5 - 15 hp....you will not even feel it.

Getting intakes or exhaust doesn't cost a ton of money, you just gotta look for deals. I got my Injen intake for just a bit over $200 and my Perrin axleback for $500. .

Ah, but that's my point. I know it's all subjective and everyone can spend their money where they want, but for 700 bucks, you'd be on your way to buying some wicked tires and lowering springs. Those two mods alone will transform a 2.5i.

700 bucks worth of 'sound mods' seems like a lot to spend. Yes, the car will be louder, but is it worth it over something that'll give you a more dynamic driving feel?

Now, if you had 1400.00 to spend then doing an exhaust and some sway bars would round out the car nicely.

But don't look at me... all my mods in the first year were purely JDM exterior cosmetic mods, so what do I know?:lol:

I thought about headers... to get the rumble... but my car's a lease, so I'm not going to go that route.

My plan is to install some swift springs, keeping the stock struts. I want a STS... and that's about it. De-badge the baby. Already done tints, so that's about all I'll do. Looking into the lightweight pulley suggestion as well.

BTW... I'm a Canuck too :)

if you just want that boxer rumble as ghetto as it is, can do hogzaust for under 2 bucks and a half an hour of wrenching time. I did it on my spec.b till i get the money for a Greddy EvoII catback. Im also planning on gutting UP/DP and going STG II with the APv2 this summer. but i admit as rice as i feel doing it it does sound a lot nicer, and since its a lease its another 20 minutes to bring back to stock when you return it...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35764&highlight=hogzaust+hogmeat

Also this sticky of mine has a lot of cheap things you can do to your car

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84688

^^^

Good call. Save 500 Bucks, get the same level of horsepower.

Excellent call, CTATV.

yeah I mean it sounds good and I think the stock tips/cans look nice I just shined mine up last week

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/fiidgett2/IMG_2596.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/fiidgett2/IMG_2597.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/fiidgett2/IMG_2598.jpg

Lots of mods you can do... here's how mine sits:

tinted

ventvisors

cleared corners sylvania silverstars

rbs diy grill

JDM 20mm rear sway

JDM spec B Rev A Bilsteins

Swift Sport Mach springs

MSI F&R endlinks

Group A lightweight pulley

Group A Throttle Body Spacer

braided brake lines

borla replica headers

magnaflow cans

perrin panel filter

grounding kit; 4 ga alt direct to batt

rocket rally short shifter

wrx pedals; autospeed deadpedal

17x7.5 rota action

225/45/17 Toyo Proxes 4

16" '06 impreza 5-spokes

205/55/16 Winterforce,

i.c.e

sony indash mp3 cd

a/d/s p440 powerplate

jl audio 500/1

jl audio 61/2 coaxes in front doors

jl audio stealthbox

and a hidden hitch...

ive got a 2005 2.5i and my friend just ggot a wrx tubro for free that he wants to give me. i know i would need to get a new manifold and such but mine is an auto and has 4 gears. is it even worth it?

ive got a 2005 2.5i and my friend just ggot a wrx tubro for free that he wants to give me. i know i would need to get a new manifold and such but mine is an auto and has 4 gears. is it even worth it?

i know nothing about it but im going to predict the cost/time to put the turbo on not worth it...I belive i was reading somewhere AVO is working on a turbo kit for the 2.5i and its going to cost like 4 grand and only pull 6psi:eek:

• 2 weeks later...
would the difference be noticeable with only minimal suspension enhancements such as installing front and rear sway bars and strut tower bars? or would the gains be too small just not even really be worth pursuing that without other modifications?

Would the WRX 4-pots provide any improvement in braking in conjunction with better rotors and pads or just increase the 'bling' factor? Would I be better off installing some LGT calipers as opposed to the WRX 4-pots?

would the difference be noticeable with only minimal suspension enhancements such as installing front and rear sway bars and strut tower bars? or would the gains be too small just not even really be worth pursuing that without other modifications?

Rear sway bar is highly recommended - you will notice a difference.

Front, I doubt it - the only one available is only about a mm thicker and I don't think you will notice it...

Strut tower bars are pretty much visual only from what I've gathered... there are much more worthy/better bang for the buck upgrades you could do before spending your money on those.

• 2 weeks later...
yes it does, and I did it.

Its putting washers between your pipes and mufflers creating an exhaust leak that sounds nice... I did it. I will be getting greddy EvoII catback eventually but I dont have a problem with it...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35764

It doesn't sound as good on a normally aspirated Suby. I tried it on my 2.5i and it sounds real raw. I was not a fan. On the other hand it sounded better on my GT; much more "throaty."

• 2 weeks later...
Rear sway bar is highly recommended - you will notice a difference.

Front, I doubt it - the only one available is only about a mm thicker and I don't think you will notice it...

Strut tower bars are pretty much visual only from what I've gathered... there are much more worthy/better bang for the buck upgrades you could do before spending your money on those.

sorry i haven't checked this thread in a while but thanks for the info.

on a side note, and this probably sounds stupid, but does anyone know if the gt engine covers can fit in the 2.5i engines or do the attachment points not exist for that? i kinda would like to try it just to get a cleaner looking engine bay, has anyone else around here done that?

Archived