LegacyGT.com

Growling/Clunking noise in rear while accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd ??

tranny crossmember bushings. One needs to be either thicker or a spacer bushing run as the 05+ LGT and 08 Imprezas have one bushing that is a bit thicker than the older setup. If this kit has a bushing that is a little thicker then it's good. If it's a kit for the older car setups then it won't work.

No worries. Spacers transferred from OE bushing. There are 2 bushing kits. One for older cars, and one for LGT/08+ Imp.

www.RalliTEK.com

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w151/RalliTEK/nasioc-banner.gif

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SeeeeYa just directed me to this thread, I just posted earlier today with these same issues. Here's the link to my thread in the Trans forum in case someone uses different search terms (I searched and never found anything).

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2171404#post2171404

I definitely want to resolve this issue if at all possible - subscribe for a solution!

Just read all 41 pages, seems this should be something SOA should figure out (yes i know that is a naive newbie comment). I've got on 05 lowered with the S-tech's and cobb stage 1. I've had the car for a little over a month and previously never heard the growl. Well now I'm driving cross country to Colorado (colder weather and the car is packed to the brim) and noticed the growl for the first time. Looking forward to testing it in the cold without all the stuff in it to see if the problem persists. I don't mind spending some $, does anyone know a place (cobb maybe) that I could take mine to get some experts to work on it?

Would taking it to a dealer to try to get some warranty coverage work on it even be worth the time?

Also it seems the 05's predominantly have this problem, has anyone investigated potential differences between the 05 and 06+ setups?

Just read all 41 pages, seems this should be something SOA should figure out (yes i know that is a naive newbie comment). I've got on 05 lowered with the S-tech's and cobb stage 1. I've had the car for a little over a month and previously never heard the growl. Well now I'm driving cross country to Colorado (colder weather and the car is packed to the brim) and noticed the growl for the first time. Looking forward to testing it in the cold without all the stuff in it to see if the problem persists. I don't mind spending some $, does anyone know a place (cobb maybe) that I could take mine to get some experts to work on it?

Would taking it to a dealer to try to get some warranty coverage work on it even be worth the time?

Also it seems the 05's predominantly have this problem, has anyone investigated potential differences between the 05 and 06+ setups?

I don't think Subaru will figure it out, as it doesn't happen much on stock powered stock height vehicles.

We still don't completely know the offending bushing, as some mods seem to help but nothing has completely cured it.

Warranty won't help.

Do any of the 07-08 owners have this problem too?

Well I've unloaded all of the stuff from my car and the noise has gone away (temps have gotten down to mid twenties). For me at least it seems more weight than temperature driven. Would definitely like to hear from some 07/08 owners to see if they have the problem (if not it's time to investigate the differences between ours and theirs).

i'm getting this growling noise too (more and more so as the gas prices go down :p), do you guys notice loss off power when it happens? i was taking a hard right hander on to an empty onramp and i got that growl when i laid it out during the turn in second gear. As i let off the gas, the growling went away as expected and the car seemed to "grip" better and shoot off. perhaps i was experiancing a combination of wheelspin and growling? thats my first experiance with growling and hard turns... is something slipping internally? or was i just loosing traction?

FYI, I'm also getting this growling and harsh vibration noise at full boost in 6th gear and sometimes in 5th gear at around 2400 rpm and up.

It vibrates the whole car as well. Def. feels like its coming from the back. '08 LGT.

-John

Different driving condition than our problem so you might have a different problem altogether.

Have all the suspension points inspected as well as go to the dealer and report it.

Any mods?

Yeah Tuning Alliance Stage 1. Hmm.....i hope its nothing too bad...

-John

my noise is happening all the time now, I wonder if it has to do with the higher mileage on my suspension now ( may be sagging more?) the noise is present with only a few pounds in the rear hatch area and perhaps a passenger in the front seat. with a load of stuff and one passenger in the back seat, the car is embarrasingly loud when accellerating at any speed or when taking a corner.

my noise is happening all the time now, I wonder if it has to do with the higher mileage on my suspension now ( may be sagging more?) the noise is present with only a few pounds in the rear hatch area and perhaps a passenger in the front seat. with a load of stuff and one passenger in the back seat, the car is embarrasingly loud when accellerating at any speed or when taking a corner.

Is it getting colder lately? The noise is very much temp dependant.

Your's sounds very much like a wheel bearing. Notice ANY change in volume or sound when you turn the steering wheel right or left at speed? If so, suggest that you have a wheel bearing that's nearing EOL.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I have found that it seems to be aggravated by cold temps, heavier loading (when i have many passengers), higher power output from most of our upgrades, and age of the bushings.

I took a look at the back of the car with a very good mechanic friend of mine. After looking a little closer, he pointed out how the rear suspension is on a sub-frame, which is rubber-mounted to the unibody in 4 places (2 front, 2 back). He thinks that the higher power output is causing the subframe to twist enough to bottom out. He suggested that we may consider unbolting the front mount points and inserting a cut-sheet of rubber between the body mounts and the subframe to see if that helps at all.

So, all the suspension mods we have seen so far which keep the subframe from twisting left-right will probably not help... which would explain why many people who have tried them have not had much success?

This is where I point out that I don't have that "problem" anymore.

I figured out what caused it. I addressed every element of that causation. The problem went away. It's not complicated. But it does take some work that you cannot get done at..... THE DEALER :lol:. You have to get dirty. :eek:

This is where I point out that I don't have that "problem" anymore.

I figured out what caused it. I addressed every element of that causation. The problem went away. It's not complicated. But it does take some work that you cannot get done at..... THE DEALER :lol:. You have to get dirty. :eek:

I think if you were living in a cold environment you would still have that problem. What have you done that I haven't done?

I know you filled in your upper rear diff bushings with that 3M stuff. Well I have the WL poly rear diff inserts, and I can pretty much gaurantee that they allow less movement and are stiffer then the 3M stuff.

I have stiffer engine mounts, STI trans mount, Ralitek poly bushings holding the trans mount (can't remember the exact name right now).

My suspension sags very little (KW2s) on accel.

I only get it when it is about 20F or less outside, but I still get it.

FWIW my Beatrush front diff support bar is on the boat from Japan as we speak.

Maybe it is the rear suspension subframe. Maybe the rubber shrinks when it is colder, just enough to cause some contact somewhere?

^i bet you are right about the subframe. nomatter how tight you hold the diff tot he subframe, you still arent preventing the rear subframe from moving and twisting under accell.

The more I think of it, the more it makes sense to me too.

I am going to inspect it for any evidence of contact. Maybe there is a cheap fix. Of course I will have to do it just before an alignment.