LegacyGT.com

This was NOT supposed to be the subject of my first post

I have been lusting after the 05-07 LGT wagon since I first saw one in 2004. Well, my dream finally came true on Monday and I bought a Subaru Certified 2007 LGT Limited wagon with the exact color combination that I wanted with 35,600 miles. I had never seen an '07 wagon for sale, so I jumped on it.

So I have now owned it for 48 hours and it has already been in the shop twice. It is currently sitting at my local dealer (had to travel out of state to buy it) waiting to have the problems diagnosed. Seems to me it is the all-too-common misfire issues a lot of you all have experienced. I had a rough idle and headlight flicker and then my CEL came on, the indicator started blinking and the cruise light started blinking. Tuesday they just cleared the CEL and said there was no history but the code was for a misfire. It was fine again until today and it went through the same issues. So I had to leave it there tonight and find out what's going on tomorrow.

What should I expect from the dealer? Are they going to try to fix it by chasing the cheapest fixes first, or will they actually go straight for the common major issues?

I'm really frustrated and deflated. I was so excited the night I bought it, and this really sucks.

I still love how it looks though.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9213/subarufront.jpg

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7788/subarurear.jpg

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4990/subaruinterior.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It has a 6 year 100,000 mile power train warranty from the in service date which was 12/31/06. So I don't anticipate having to pay for the repairs, but it really stinks that I sunk all this money into a car just to put it right in the shop.

If it's the car you want (and it appears to be), then take the time to get it sorted out right and make sure you maintain diligent records of all your future maintenance (i.e. oil changes). Also, change all the major fluids ASAP. Brake, oil, trans, rear diff. It gives you a nice baseline for your future ownership :)

Just my .02

okay i had the same light sequence today , the cruise would flash and the S from the SI drive would flash , my eng check and traction control light stayed on , reason they did this is after removing my intake silencer i forgot to plug the MAF back in , then cranked it , took it to the local subaru dealer and they cleared it for me , so my guess from exp would be intake/vacuum being the cruise works off the boost line on the turbo , and SI drive alters boost also ? so i dunno have a dealer check it , they didnt charge me at all to clear it

If it's the car you want (and it appears to be), then take the time to get it sorted out right and make sure you maintain diligent records of all your future maintenance (i.e. oil changes). Also, change all the major fluids ASAP. Brake, oil, trans, rear diff. It gives you a nice baseline for your future ownership :)

Just my .02

+1 I agree.

I too have the certified warranty (6 yr 100K). I understand it is up to me to keep the maintenance records, but does anyone know what SOA will accept for records if I change the oil myself? I would much rather do it in order to know its done right. I was thinking maybe the receipt of the oil/filter I bought? :confused:

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. After dealing with a POS Audi for a couple years, I am sensitive to my cars having issues.

I'm religious about maintaining my cars, so maintenance won't be an issue. And if it is just the MAF sensor, I am not worried at all. But, that being out wouldn't cause the car to stutter and feel like it is going to stall would it?

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. After dealing with a POS Audi for a couple years, I am sensitive to my cars having issues.

I'm religious about maintaining my cars, so maintenance won't be an issue. And if it is just the MAF sensor, I am not worried at all. But, that being out wouldn't cause the car to stutter and feel like it is going to stall would it?

When my MAF sensor got covered in crud I had idling & stuttering issues with CEL codes indicating cylinder trim values out of spec. Cleaned the MAF with spray cleaner, reinstalled & cleared codes and no problems since.

Am I missing something or are Subaru warranties different than all the others?

6 year 100K powertrain won't cover something like this will it?

Other than dealership goodwill covering it,if this had happened 9 months down the road, the subaru warranty wouldn't cover it.

Subaru Certified is power train only as far as I know...yes?

While it's at the shop today, call them and verify that the turbo oil-line recall fix was implemented on the car (if it's one of the late-build 07s that needed it). This will save you another trip in, should that line start to leak. (If it does, you'll know about it by the smoke coming out the scoop. The line drips slowly onto the exhaust header.) HPH

Am I missing something or are Subaru warranties different than all the others?

6 year 100K powertrain won't cover something like this will it?

Other than dealership goodwill covering it,if this had happened 9 months down the road, the subaru warranty wouldn't cover it.

Subaru Certified is power train only as far as I know...yes?

How is a CEL and driveability issues not driveline related? This is exactly the kind of thing that would be covered by a powertrain warranty in my mind.

Good luck getting it sorted out! Car looks great!

Power-B - Keep a written or electronic log combined with the receipts.

FYI, I don't have receipts myself. Just a detailed log. I buy oil all at once, in bulk, along with filters that fit both of my cars.

I do the same thing as Joe. I bought 10 filters / washers and buy my oil in quantity when it is on sale. I taped the filter reciept inside my owners book and just write dates of changes and mileage down.

How is a CEL and driveability issues not driveline related? This is exactly the kind of thing that would be covered by a powertrain warranty in my mind.

You've obviously never tried to get stuff done under warranty...

Unless one of the items on this list goes bad..it won't be covered..unless of course the dealership decides that their good name is more important:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/cpo1ca.JPG

Don't get me wrong here..I hope it is covered also the reality of most powertrain warranties is that it won't be covered. Powertrain means powertrain...unless one of the items above failed which caused the CEL....it won't be covered.

Don't get me wrong here..I hope it is covered also the reality of most powertrain warranties is that it won't be covered. Powertrain means powertrain...unless one of the items above failed which caused the CEL....it won't be covered.

Sensors are mostly not covered under the drivetrain warranty. Ask me how I know.

That blows my mind to be honest! I haven't had a warranty issue since I got rid of my '01 Sunfire GT, I've bought used and repaired on my own ever since as it was not worth the hassle of dealing with the dealer. I assumed electronics would be included under any powertrain warranty, consider my eyes opened!:eek:

Think of powertrain warranty as covering anything that makes the car move forward....that sums up most stuff. Electronics are never covered up a powertrain.

I would say a misfire could fall under the the engine block.

Also, to the OP you could see if the dealership can change that powertrain warranty to a bumper-to-bumper. Dealership cost on that is roughly a couple hundred dollars with a $100 deductible and that would cover everything. All in all, powertrain warranties are mostly useless....If you just bought the vehicle, call that dealership and see if they can switch that out for you....

G/L with everything though. You'll get it all sorted out and be back loving your Subaru in no time.

Well this is all very frustrating to read. If this is not covered then I will certainly be in touch with the dealer that I bought from.

Many have asked me and I haven't bothered to look anywhere, but isn't there an implied warranty on all cars for 30 days that any major problems will be fixed unless sold As-Is? I may be naive, but that was sort of my impression - being that I've never had a car break within 24 hours of purchase.

Ok, I got too curious:

"State laws hold dealers responsible if [used] cars they sell don't meet reasonable quality standards. These obligations are called implied warranties - unspoken, unwritten promises from the seller to the buyer. However, dealers in most states can use the words "as is" or "with all faults" in a written notice to buyers to eliminate implied warranties. There is no specified time period for implied warranties."

This is definitely not an As-Is situation. I would certainly hope they would stand behind a CPO for more than the time it takes me to drive off the property.

I talked to the tech and he (of course) said they couldn't reoplicate the problems and asked me to describe when it happens. So I did and now, 4 hours later, I haven't heard back.

We are expecting 16-35 inches of snow over the next 5 days - and this is exactly what I bought the car for since I am required to report for weather emergencies. I'm going to be pissed if I am stuck without it and miss out of report time and major overtime.

Archived