LegacyGT.com

Pics of the VDC Stereo

rao

I received it today - Thanks Mastro Subaru - great folks to deal with. To my surprise it came with the front plate, I don't know if I should be happy because it wil be easy to install or cncerened becasue it should have been cheaper without the front plate (though the other faceplate may not work - who knows?)

Should be easy to install, which I hope to do later ths week.

1981575110_VDCStereo9-27-04(3).JPG.e4cdb5208b87311227084037afbf43ea.JPG

wow... I've been told by a Subaru Tech that the Legacy radios are programmed for your specific car and that a simple radio swap may not be as easy any more. He told me that it's possible to do the swap, but the new radio will have to be re-programmed for the car. Have you heard otherwise?

Am I missing something here? Is it just an MP3 player in addition to the factory radio? What is VDC? Did it come with the controls for HVAC too? Fill in the gaps for me and others who are in the dark.

[quote name='TLS']Am I missing something here? Is it just an MP3 player in addition to the factory radio? What is VDC? Did it come with the controls for HVAC too? Fill in the gaps for me and others who are in the dark.[/quote] not sure exactly what vdc stands for, but this cd player will play mp3 files that you have stored as files on a cd. the benefit is that you can fit a ton of mp3 files on a cd. it is the exact same comsole that you have (6 disc changer, HVAC controls, etc.) except the cd player plays these mp3's.

[quote name='rao']That sounds like a bunch of BS to me, but I will know for sure shortly.[/quote] Please do. I'm looking at swapping my single CD to a 6 disk. If it all works, you wouldn't want to sell me your 6 disk changer?

OK! Thanks for clearing the fog! But what Subaru gets this option? If I spent six hundred clams on a new radio, it better be a real thumpin' system that LOOKED like factory. I personally don't care for the clarity of MP3's.

It is the radio from the Outback VDC. The only difference is that it plays MP3s (and it likely has a speaker level subwoofer output). It does come with new HVAC controls, the whole problem is that the HVAC controls are integrated into the stereo and cannot be separated. The part number has been posted here, but I can find it if anybody is interested. BTW, I am sure my Pioneer MP3 stereo sitting right next to it on my workbench is better then the stock stereo but there is no way to put it into the car. I have an I-pod but I have no interest trying to use it in the car - I can barely use it walking down the street :) Some people pay for grounding kits, I wanted to play MP3s with a stock stereo because there wasn't an alternative that appealed to me.

[quote name='rao']It does come with new HVAC controls, the whole problem is that the HVAC controls are integrated into the stereo and cannot be separated.[/quote] Damm, that doesn't help me at all. :(

I might be in your boat too, Rao... I want MP3 capability, but I'm not sure I want to cobble together another solution. The other alternative is to wait a little longer to see if Subaru steps up with DIN plate that works with aftermarket units. Subaru should just make that stereo an option on the Legacies.

[quote name='Edvig'][quote name='rao']That sounds like a bunch of BS to me, but I will know for sure shortly.[/quote] Please do. I'm looking at swapping my single CD to a 6 disk. If it all works, you wouldn't want to sell me your 6 disk changer?[/quote] I wonder if dual climate control will work for you?

[quote name='SC GT'][quote name='Edvig'][quote name='rao']That sounds like a bunch of BS to me, but I will know for sure shortly.[/quote] Please do. I'm looking at swapping my single CD to a 6 disk. If it all works, you wouldn't want to sell me your 6 disk changer?[/quote] I wonder if dual climate control will work for you?[/quote] I doubt it...I'm sure that the climate control portion is different on my 2.5i ECU than it is on the other Legacys. Sad...

[quote name='rao']To my surprise it came with the front plate, I don't know if I should be happy because it wil be easy to install or cncerened becasue it should have been cheaper without the front plate (though the other faceplate may not work - who knows?) [/quote] I've always wondered if you could just change the front plate and if the laser/reader/buffer portion was the same between the 2? Does anyone know?

Archived