LegacyGT.com

I am so over and done with this car

This POS has got to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the 95 with the 2.2 but the 97 with the 2.5 is a piece of crap!!!!!!!!!!

I can change the plugs in the 2.2 --- no problem. In the 2.5 it is a hassle.

Changed the valve cover gaskets in the 2.2 no problem...the 2.5 -- whew!!!!!!!

I was going to check the valve clearances on the 2.5 but hold on there...ya gonna need to do a 2 page protocol.

Because of the cyl 4 misfire I can't pass emissions. I have the valve cover off and what I am thinking is to install a gasket and take the thing to the auction. Never.....ever....never....ever again will I own a subbie with a 2.5

I can only imagine what a PITA the 3.0 must be. All this for .3 more on the engine?

I promise I will never again say a bad word about the flat head 6 on my XJ6. I promise...promise...promise.

Now how in the world will I get the bottom rear valve cover bolt screwed back into the left side valve cover. My hand isn't small enough to fit between the chassis and the valve cover.

Did they even engineer this car? The parts guys know me from all the cars I work on and no wonder the one guy said he'll never work on a subbie again. If I had only known. The guy that helps me out when I get in a jam is in the hospital with heart problems. Errrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes after reading of all the trouble that people seem to have with the 2.5 motor, I think I will stick with my 2.2. It runs like a dream and I have only had to do minor maintenance on it in all the years that I have had it. God only knows how long it will continue running for ? 229.000ks so far.

Yes our 95 Legacy 2.2 has 210,000 on it. It burns no oil, runs smooth, idles smooth, shifts smooth. Whoever came up with the idea of squeezing that 2.5 into the engine bay should be whipped.

:lol:

The only thing that the 95 needs is to stop the pwr steering fluid leak that is hitting hits the exhaust. Yes it does have some rust in the usual places but last summer I did a fairly good job of fixing the right rear wheel well.

The Legacy Outback interior and other amenities are nicer than the 95 legacy. But the nasty, ugly 2.5 negatively outweigh those amenities.

In 1997 I owned a 90 Subbie, it was a good commute car for my wife and very low maintenance.

Yes after reading of all the trouble that people seem to have with the 2.5 motor, I think I will stick with my 2.2. It runs like a dream and I have only had to do minor maintenance on it in all the years that I have had it. God only knows how long it will continue running for ? 229.000ks so far.

I feel your pain.

A ratcheting 10mm wrench will work once you get the threads started..

I had to use a magnetic pickup tool to place the bolt into the hole.

Make sure your vc gasket is seated all around(check from the bottom).

O.

The only thing that the 95 needs is to stop the pwr steering fluid leak that is hitting hits the exhaust. Yes it does have some rust in the usual places but last summer I did a fairly good job of fixing the right rear wheel well.

The Legacy Outback interior and other amenities are nicer than the 95 legacy. But the nasty, ugly 2.5 negatively outweigh those amenities.

so put the 95 ej22 in the outback and call it a day.

no more rust,

no more velour interior,

and you can fix the steering pump leak when the engine is out.

there is some teenager out there who will buy a 95 lego with a 2.5L engine in the trunk.

or keep the 95 for parts.

I didn't know the 2.2 could be a full exchange for the 2.5? I wouldn't need to change the computer, etc?

You've got my interest! Not sure where you are in PA but we could do it in my driveway and I could get my neighbors hoist.

Is it really that quick for an engine swap?

Im tryin to get a 2.5 for my car if ur intrested in a trade? My ej22 for ur 25. Im in pa we can meet up and swap motors in the parkin lot ill bring the hand tools ur bring a hoist. It will be fun :)

I didn't know the 2.2 could be a full exchange for the 2.5? I wouldn't need to change the computer, etc?

some years swap easier than others.

the 95 ej22 w/ EGR (auto trans car) is the ideal donor for a swap into a 96 - 99 outback.

the 96 - 98 ej22 w/ EGR (auto trans car) will swap but you need the exhaust y-pipe to go with it.

DO NOT SWAP the computers, ever, unless you are swapping the wire harness as well.

the computer MUST match the harness in the car.

the the ej22 and ej25 will both run fine on either computer..

So you are about 90 miles from me....not too bad.

My neighbor the mechanic is out of the hospital and offering his expertise to get the 2.5 running. I'll let you know, kind of depends on how PO'd I get at the 2.5 engine.:spin:

Should have done the valve adjustments before dumping this engine in the car in March 2013.

Im outside philly and yea plug and play. Should only take about a day if that

A wobbly extension does wonders on subarus. Get one for both 1/4 inch and 3/8. But I do agree that the 2.5 is a real pain to work on compared to the 2.2 which is quite simple. Also, like zues said, its not hard to just pull the motor and do all your maintenance at once. Be done with it and drop it back in. I had zero motor pulling experience prior to owning a subaru and I have pulled two motors in the past week by myself in a one car garage with ease.

the 2.5 isnt bad at all, if you dont like the design then get a different car. replacing plugs in a brz isnt bad you just need a thin wall plug socket and some wobble extensions of the right length. it pays two hours, can do them in about one hour.

the 2.5 dual cam doesnt have adjustable lash unless you shim the buckets/tappets and it shouldnt really ever need adjustment anyways

all subaru DOHC engine are a pain to change the plugs as compared to the SOHC.

on the DOHC the plug tubes are flat, horizontal.

on SOHC the plug tubes are slanted up.

you can make the job easier by removing the two 14mm motor mount bolts and jacking the engine/trans up several inches.

this will allow the plug tubes to clear the frame rail.

or you can just drink 1.5 beers for each plug,

and do #4 last.

it will not be easier, but you will not mind as much.

After removing and replacing about 4 different sets, I can do the 2.5 plugs rather fast now. The correct set of extensions, plus a wobbly connector are the key.

I still wouldn't say they are a breeze. Try doing them on the flat 6 of a 1990 Jaguar XJ6. Now that is a breeze. You could do them in your best Sunday white shirt and not get dirty. Now that is a breeze! :)

I never had an issue replacing plugs on the 2.5? Just need the correct length extension. Trying replacing plugs in the BRZ.

I believe it was this forum that suggested that the valves need to be adjusted every (X) amount of miles. Something about them getting tighter with age. Could be wrong because it has been about 3/4 of a year back when I was complaining about the cyl 4 misfire.

the 2.5 isnt bad at all, if you dont like the design then get a different car. replacing plugs in a brz isnt bad you just need a thin wall plug socket and some wobble extensions of the right length. it pays two hours, can do them in about one hour.

the 2.5 dual cam doesnt have adjustable lash unless you shim the buckets/tappets and it shouldnt really ever need adjustment anyways

Whey is it that beer always makes the job seem easier? What is even better is having a friend work on the car with you and both be drinking beers. Then maybe the neighbor wonders over and.......it's a party!

all subaru DOHC engine are a pain to change the plugs as compared to the SOHC.

on the DOHC the plug tubes are flat, horizontal.

on SOHC the plug tubes are slanted up.

you can make the job easier by removing the two 14mm motor mount bolts and jacking the engine/trans up several inches.

this will allow the plug tubes to clear the frame rail.

or you can just drink 1.5 beers for each plug,

and do #4 last.

it will not be easier, but you will not mind as much.

Archived