LegacyGT.com

How many miles on your CVT? Any Issues?

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ Butt hurt much?? I posted an accurate account of what did occur to my Subaru Legacy. This is a forum asking for feedback on CVT is it not?? Jeesh

So your torque converter failed and is being replaced under warranty Awesome, now the next owner won't have to worry about this well known issue. Maybe if you would have joined earlier you could have had the issue resolved long before it left you stranded on the highway. :eek:

^^ Butt hurt much??

Believe or not until your post, I actually had made an assumption that term would have applied to you. I assumed that you were not happy so searched for this thread and signed up with a not happy username. You took time to post your story in a 400 post thread to vent and let the world know about how crappy your Subaru CVT is. It seemed that you made a rash decision to sell your once it was fixed under warranty because of how mad you were at your car. Anyways, thanks for the clarification.

Because although it's completely understandable that you're upset about your torque converter failing (and given the way yours failed, I'd be REALLY pissed myself), your post comes across more like you being upset about getting a free replacement transmission.

The fact that you're hating on CVTs categorically doesn't help your cause much, either- considering a very significant fraction of Legacies built in the same years as those owned by members in this subforum (as well as all of them from 2015 on) have CVTs, your statement that "CVTs are crap" comes across as an attack. CVTs aren't new tech, even for Subaru; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission

Transmissions definitely shouldn't fail in under 60k miles, but the purpose of a warranty is to account for the times where it happens. Being man-made, it will eventually fail (see also: design life, planned obsolescence, etc.), it's just a matter of when, and warranties exist to cover the "That little guy? I wouldn't worry about that little guy." outlier situations like yours.

Your failure doesn't seem like it's the same as most other people in this thread have noted, either- there really aren't many ways that a torque converter can fail which will result in the wheels locking up like that, because the torque converter has no mechanical link to anything that's not spinning. You'd have to throw parts so far out the side of the TC that something wedged between the TC housing and the transmission case, and were that the case, your description probably would have included a loud "bang". Locking up the wheels like that would probably take something getting jammed up between some of the gears inside the transmission case, such as the parking pawl, or some other failed internal component. What got jammed where would change which wheels locked up mechanically (jammed gears) and which came along for the ride (pulled down by the locked TC or the center differential), but locking either axle would pretty well wreck the center diff, and potentially the torque converter and/or CVT sheaves and chain as well.

Basically, you came with misdirected rage, they responded with snark (because this is the internet, that's what happens), and you continued with the personal attacks.

• 3 months later...

Old thread, but figured I would post for future.

2014 Subaru Legacy Limited. 52k miles on it

My CVT just suffered complete failure and is currently at the dealer awaiting a remanufactured transmission.

I have a 25 mile round trip commute to work and don't do a lot of driving other than that anymore. Most of my miles were from the 1st year and a half of owning the car as I had an hour lon commute.

I'm not hard on the car and I never tow anything or do mountain driving.

I drove in to work without any issues. 8 hours later I got in, put it in reverse and the car barely moved crunching the whole way. Popped it into forward and very slowly eased it into the space again, all the while the car was jerking. Only talking a few feet here.

As soon as it started jerking in reverse the dash lit up like a Christmas tree, and I got a warning for Transmission and Vehicle Dynamic Systems.

Dealer says a pressure sensor that controls the fluid went bad in the transmission and subsequently destroyed the clutch and the entire transmission.

Luckily it's covered under 60k powertrain. I am grateful it is being replaced at no charge. However like the previous poster, I am rather upset that I am now being given a rebuilt transmission, with no extended coverage on the rebuilt one, and 10k miles from now if I suffer another issue I'm looking at about $8k to repair a vehicle I only owe $11k on.

So yes, very grateful I got lucky and it's covered, however a transmission really shouldn't be going at 50k and I'm starting to think Subaru really should at the very least increase the powertrain warranty to at least 75k. At this point I think I'm going to have the transmission replaced by the dealer and then trade it in shortly after. I don't feel very confident keeping the car with 3 'ore years of payments, no warranty (first time I've declined extended, and of course the first time I could have used it) and the fear of a $8k repair looming over my head.

I'll still get another subie, just probably gonna upgrade to a wrx with a manual transmission.

Old thread, but figured I would post for future.

2014 Subaru Legacy Limited. 52k miles on it

My CVT just suffered complete failure and is currently at the dealer awaiting a remanufactured transmission.

I have a 25 mile round trip commute to work and don't do a lot of driving other than that anymore. Most of my miles were from the 1st year and a half of owning the car as I had an hour lon commute.

I'm not hard on the car and I never tow anything or do mountain driving.

I drove in to work without any issues. 8 hours later I got in, put it in reverse and the car barely moved crunching the whole way. Popped it into forward and very slowly eased it into the space again, all the while the car was jerking. Only talking a few feet here.

As soon as it started jerking in reverse the dash lit up like a Christmas tree, and I got a warning for Transmission and Vehicle Dynamic Systems.

Dealer says a pressure sensor that controls the fluid went bad in the transmission and subsequently destroyed the clutch and the entire transmission.

Luckily it's covered under 60k powertrain. I am grateful it is being replaced at no charge. However like the previous poster, I am rather upset that I am now being given a rebuilt transmission, with no extended coverage on the rebuilt one, and 10k miles from now if I suffer another issue I'm looking at about $8k to repair a vehicle I only owe $11k on.

So yes, very grateful I got lucky and it's covered, however a transmission really shouldn't be going at 50k and I'm starting to think Subaru really should at the very least increase the powertrain warranty to at least 75k. At this point I think I'm going to have the transmission replaced by the dealer and then trade it in shortly after. I don't feel very confident keeping the car with 3 'ore years of payments, no warranty (first time I've declined extended, and of course the first time I could have used it) and the fear of a $8k repair looming over my head.

I'll still get another subie, just probably gonna upgrade to a wrx with a manual transmission.

The transmission should have it's own warranty separate from the powertrain that goes into effect at the time of installation. I would demand a 3yr 36k one if it's the usual 1yr/12k mile that most everything except the engine gets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

The transmission should have it's own warranty separate from the powertrain that goes into effect at the time of installation. I would demand a 3yr 36k one if it's the usual 1yr/12k mile that most everything except the engine gets.

I'm gonna try this. I didn't get anywhere today when I picked up the loaner. I'm thinking I may have better luck from calling SOA directly instead of arguing with the guy on the other side of the counter

I'm gonna try this. I didn't get anywhere today when I picked up the loaner. I'm thinking I may have better luck from calling SOA directly instead of arguing with the guy on the other side of the counter

You're on the right track, call or email SOA directly. I did when my headgaskets went at 59k miles. I asked for an extended warranty beyond the 1/12 the repair included, they didn't give me one but did send me $200 in Subaru bucks.

Okay so figured I would post a follow up. I spoke with SOA by email this morning. I was informed that the "remanufactured Transmission" was a brand new transmission and that only the box it ships in is recycled. Not sure if true but I have it in writing. They also called the dealer where t is being repaired to verify t was an internal failure not caused by fault of my own. I was told they would not extend the warranty beyond either the remainder of the 60k powertrain or 1yr/unlimited miles replacement part warranty, however if for some reason I have another issue with this transmission to reach out to them directly. She also stated to make sure that going forward I follow the scheduled maintenance per the Manual. So I will make sure o do the scheduled maintenance and I am interpreting this as we will help you out, but not if you don't get the maintenance done as recommended.

Just be thankful that you do not have JATCO making your transmissions those belts are by FAR weaker than that chain Subaru uses and that thing breaks in a most noticeable way when a pulley over extends and jams up

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai

• 2 weeks later...
Way to step up Subaru! Now what about all those who have paid out of pocket for their repairs?

The letter actually came with a reimbursement form (see attached). So if you paid out of pocket for a repair under the new warranty period you can submit it with the form. Not sure if they are going to give you dollar for dollar, but at least it is something.

CVT 2.pdf

well this thread is exactly what I didnt want to see after just picking up a 2010 2.5i with 81k on the clock this month :(

If it makes you feel any better...

My 2010 2.5 was starting to have the "almost die at red light" issue starting about 3 years ago. In the last 6 months, it has almost gone away, gotten better.

Strange.

I am currently at 91k. I'll watch it like a hawk in light of the current letter that is out there. But as it is right now, there are no symptoms so nothing they could repair or I could report.