LegacyGT.com

Problem starting, related to Battery or ECU?

Hi Gang,

I encountered a serious problem w/my 06' LGT w/34k miles (I'm on Stg II AP) today. I went to start it up aftrer being parked in the garage for 2 weeks, no electrical power/dead battery, found out my trunk wasn't fully closed. So I went to jump start it w/my other car, was able to get all my accessories powered up, great! BUT upon cranking..................

Car won't start!!! It makes this electrical buzzing sound (same sound as a Taser makes in action) upon cranking, and all dash/interior lights blink in the same rythum as the buzz sound?? No cranking from the engine/starter at all!!!!

So my first question is, I should be getting enough juice to start the car, considering all my accessory lights came on and the car cranks, right? Vehicle w/booster battery was running obviously.

Took out my AP to see what's going on, base map stayed same despite lost of power, tried changing the realtime map to various different ones, including revert to stock, no luck. Even tried resetting ECU as well as change base map to stock (but base map was never altered according to the AP). I'm tried all the possible functions on the AP besides unmarry it.

What do you guys think my problem is? Hopefully I didn't fry the ECU? Any tips on how to further isolate the problem? Last thing I need is a tow to the dealer, esp. when the car just went past warranty a month ago!

Thanks in advance for any help on this !!!

It just sounds like the batter in your car isn't charged enough, let the charge car sit connected for like 5 min without touching your car at all, try it then, it should start right up. I've seen lots of cars that everything else will work but the battery doesn't have enough amps to run the starter, ignition, fuel punp and injestors all at the same time, so they think that they are doing it wrong, or it's something more serious

What had me freaked out was the "buzzing" sound the car was making during startup. I've had dead/weak battery before leading to no start, but it didn't seem anything like it yesterday.

If I'm able to start up the car, should I drive it for awhile to let the dead battery recharge, since its only 3y.o.?

I still say get a good charge on your battery and go from there, but it still seems like the batt is just real dead. Let it good charge then see what happens, and if ecu is toast for some reason what is a charged battery going to hurt...and go for a drive, the car has been sitting, make it happy by taking it out for a half hour

kinda hard for the ecu to be toasted... Im thinkin its the battery as well. Its probably really dead. My cars battery died at 28k miles. And some of my old custmers died at 12k miles, so dont go on the basis that your car has only xxx miles or only xx years old. when I bought my car, the battery died the following week. I remember AAA came out to jump my wrx and had to use the booster when jumping my car.

Just go out and buy a new battery.

battery, and now if you get a new battery (or bost by an other car), if it won't start, check the spark plug. They me be (sink? I mean "noyer" in french?) with full of gaz.

+5678

almost dead battery, not enough juice to fire up the starter motor.

totally dead battery = dashboard lights/startup sequence wont even work

after you did your seatbelt chime disable, is the belt alert now chiming again? that's a nice early indicator of a nearly drained battery as well.

+5678

almost dead battery, not enough juice to fire up the starter motor.

totally dead battery = dashboard lights/startup sequence wont even work

after you did your seatbelt chime disable, is the belt alert now chiming again? that's a nice early indicator of a nearly drained battery as well.

Based on your thesis my battery is totally dead then, as I had no accessory power (not even dome lights) until I connected the jumper cable. My seatbelt chime is back as well.

Any idea why my battery would go dead? The only probable cause I could find was my trunk wasn't fully closed. (daughter pressed the trunk botton on remote sometime during the 2 wks)

Any idea why my battery would go dead? The only probable cause I could find was my trunk wasn't fully closed. (daughter pressed the trunk botton on remote sometime during the 2 wks)

Trunk light could've been during that time on or your battery was already on its way out. Two weeks without running your car and the battery got drained by the alarm, ECU, etc.

Have you tried to charge the thing up yet???or just jump it real quick...if it's dead as in drained then let it charge for a while and see what happens, ethir way, a quick 30 second connection to another cas isn't going to do squat on any battery that is that dead...even if you have 0awg jumper cables...go get a charger, take out the battery and take it to an auto parts store and load test it or something. Have you been without a car for the last few days too?

No my LGT is a wknd driver, that's why I left the car parked for those 2 wks. I'm gonna charge/replace battery this wknd as I get home too late from work to goto an autoparts store for the battery. Thanks for the inputs thus far, which puts me more at ease knowing its not ECU related.

You may want to clean the terminals too. Years ago, many years ago, my car wouldn't crank but all the lights would work. I cleaned the terminals and the car started.

Lots of post on batteries lately...for the $70 or so think about getting a new one. There's another battery thread here, check it out.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108962

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

yeah try using the one that you have till it dies for real, not just dies from having the trunk open for 2 weeks, we are coming out of the winter so you should be good for the rest of the year on the one in your car atleast...you have an access port right??? Hook that thing up to it and see what kinda of charged voltages you have with lights and things like that on for different times...if it starts to drop real quick from the 12 volt range the battery is porbably starting to go...or have the auto store load test it

^^ good point, have a auto parts store test it, it's free, just takes a little time. About an hour for the full test. Some times they can tell you in a few minutes it's bad.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well, I'm happy to report that it was the battery!! Hooked it up to a jumper/booster car and let it sat for 30 mins, then cranked right up, although a bit weaker than norm. Drove it around for a good hr or so and so far so good!! Thanks to all for the help!!

FYI - the culprit of my battery drain was indeed the trunk light, as my daughter must've popped it using the remote sometime during the 2 wks of sitting. I'm kinda surprised that the trunk light would turn and stay on in this situation. Bad design.......

• 1 year later...

Archived