LegacyGT.com

Navigation System Version 2.0?

07spec

Hey everyone,

I got an email from Subaru saying I could now get a new version of the DVD software for my Nav from Kenwood.

I followed the link, and it goes to Kenwood's site, where you can buy the Subaru Navigation DVD Version 2.0

My car, an 07, came with version 1.1 As I suspect everyone else's cars did too.

My problem, Kenwood wants like $250 bucks for the DVD's. I'm not going to pay that.

Does anyone know what these DVD's do? They just update the maps and the roads, right???

Thanks.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone in the other thread had mentioned that the Euro version allows that, after "clicking" a disclaimer that you're the passenger.

I need to find out if this is the case. Also, has anyone tried any of the Kenwood versions to see if this is enabled?

Other thread: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=862135&highlight=european+dvd#post862135

When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.

07 Spec, what's the link you got in your e-mail? I've got an 07 too, but didn't get any line from Sub re: the updates. $250 for a better map... tempting. I've had my 07 since Sept last year and the age of the map really kills me in the DC area. My house isn't on the map.... So, everyday, I get the reminder my new car doesn't recognize a 5 year old development.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that’s sort of what I was trying to get at with this thread....some one that got the 2.0 discs with there new car...could rip them and post them some how...

It would be super cool of some one to do for us cheap bastards out there...

But, the question is of course....Would it work?

I'm assuming an ISO file of the DVD, transferred and then burned as an ISO image on another DVD....would work...

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

This is just one brand,

http://www.kanguru.com/1to1dvddup.html

For about the price of a Kenwood disc you could buy this.

Formats Supported

CD-DA (Red Book), Compressed Audio/Video (CD-ROM/XA), CD-ROM mode 1 & 2 (Yellow Book), Video CD, Mixed mode CD, Enhanced CD, CD Plus, CD Extra, CD-I (Green Book), Photo CD Single/Multisession, ISO 9660 Level 3, ISO 9660 Extension, HF, HFS, HFS+, Games CD, Joliet

*Commerical DVDs are NOT supported

*As with all DVD Recorders using value brand blank media (ie - Memorex) can result in poor recording results.

Don't know if this qualifies as a "commercial DVD".. but there's probably a hack for that, and Ouch! what a dig at Memorex.

Anyway, with a little effort, you're copying

Just got my car and it came with the 2.0 disc

Just sent the message below to SOA. Will post here when they reply (don't hold your breath):

I have a 2007 Subaru Legacy Spec.B. that I puchased before Christmas last year. The navigation system DVD that came with the vehicle at that time was very outdated. Now, I understand that Kenwood, the maker of the nav system, has released a DVD update AND that new 2007 vehicles now come with the updated data. Is SOA going to offer this update to 2007 vehicle owners at a discount?

I understand it is at a discount, call me crazy, but I think it should be free.....

I think it should be a similar situation to a free software upgrade...

Like XP Service Pack 2, SP2 is a free download....

Honestly, for the price of a new Garmin that is way more featured you can just dump the on-board Navi with all its limitations.

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. I'm sure next year's Garmins will be the bomb. The OEM system is an excellent tool. Very happy to have it. Works great. :) Maybe a little too safety conscious but looks like the voice control "hack" bypasses a lot of that.

actually copying a DVD wouldn't be so hard, all you essentially need to do is to copy the whole image using Alcohol 120% or another program, then burn the entire image to another machine. But I wouldn't know anything about that

Sorry to butt in since I don't have the Nav but I just wanted to point out that on another board I was a party too there was some discussion about "backing up" copywrited material and it was pointed out that since this could be a copywrite infringement issue, passing info on how to do it could put the writer and the board itself at risk for lawsuits.

I'm not a lawyer, just throwing that out .

Cheers

Archived