LegacyGT.com

new front wheel discs + brake pads

GeorgeB

i changed today front discs + brake pads.

the discs where changed on warraty. it seems that the stock discs have some problems , if braking hard when wet they are not centered any more. i don't know the english term for this .

i got new brembo discs + rotahouse brake pads ... i can abs it on dry road now :|

62JE0161.jpg.21f3d65d8d505b85091a6749f333cd5d.jpg

Its been talked about a lot.

The stock brakes become warped. I just had mine resurfaced at the dealer. If it happens again I will have then resurface it again and I will change the pads to something else. Aparently the problem is the OEM pads.

the dealer told me the disk brakes are the problem . not the brake pads .

although i see the original brake pads as beeing somewhat of a problem at 267$ a pair :| the rotahouse i have now on are only 88$ :|

Front Rotors for 05/06 legacys part # 26300AG02A...

List Price $76.95

My Price $50.79

Henry, this is a bit off-topic but...

how much for:

Front Calipers

Front Caliper Brackets

Rear Rotors

Rear Calipers

Rear Caliper Brackets

Thanks!

Keefe

brackets come with the caliper when you order the actual caliper. For you they are:

f calipers 26292AG040/50 $184.40 per side

r calipers 26692AE040/50 $197.97 per side

rear rotors 26700AE080 $62.67 per side

tHe HoV

oh they do not come with pads... But I dont think you'd want those anyway...Mr. Endless...lol....

I'd figure the stock pads are around $80 front and $60 rear... so that's not too big of a deal for me, but then again, I have 2 spare sets of stock pads at home along with an extra set of track and street pads too.

Keefe

Any other opinions on whether pads help solve the warping problem or is it disks or nothing? What good disk options are there out there and can stock calipers, etc, be used? (e.g. what's the cheapest, but effective, option?)

What's a good place to purchase disks (if that's the best option)?

Hey hovied, are the part numbers you listed above for stock rotor replacements new Brembo rotors or are they the Subaru produced ones that were already available?

OEM rotor replacements..

as for aftermarket OEM sized rotors, http://www.racingbrake.com has them of which I run and they work just fine, even for track use for a very doable price.

Keefe

brake pads don't solve the problem . they help reduce braking distance ;)

the problem is the material itself !

Brake pads are designed to help produce friction to turn the kenetic energy into heat.. and a faded brake pad will NOT reduce braking distance. you want a brake pad that fits your needs. Operating temperatures play a big role.

Keefe

Any other opinions on whether pads help solve the warping problem or is it disks or nothing? What good disk options are there out there and can stock calipers, etc, be used? (e.g. what's the cheapest, but effective, option?)

What's a good place to purchase disks (if that's the best option)?

A warping issue comes from overheating the brakes and then as the brakes cool improperly the rotor warps... it's like heating up a piece of metal to where the metal is soft and formable.. as you are sitting at the stoplight from a hard braking situation with the calipers squeezing hard on that ONE spot, the brakes will cool down and it will form that little crushed portion of the rotor, that is a major cause of warping: improper cooling of hot brakes.

Keefe

So do you think RacingBrake's basic slotted OEM replacement for $127 each (P\N 9013-111) would significantly reduce the risk of warpage on the fronts? That would be well worth it to me if it did. Anyone using these rotors?

I've already bought a set of SS-M pads (I know you'll like that Keefe)--definitely don't want rotors to damage those.

To me it's disappointing that some firm off ramp braking, etc, could warp rotors.

Thanks.

A warping issue comes from overheating the brakes and then as the brakes cool improperly the rotor warps... it's like heating up a piece of metal to where the metal is soft and formable.. as you are sitting at the stoplight from a hard braking situation with the calipers squeezing hard on that ONE spot, the brakes will cool down and it will form that little crushed portion of the rotor, that is a major cause of warping: improper cooling of hot brakes.

You will be fine with getting a set of new stock rotors. The stock rotors have more thermal capacity than the RB replacement rotors. You are not getting warp, you are getting uneven deposits from the stock brake pads...

Ted

:spin:

Really? Can I just have the rotors "turned" before slapping on the Endless pads or is it best to buy new OEM before putting on the pads?

Any other comments on the stock being better than the Racing Brake's slotted?

Thanks all.

You will be fine with getting a set of new stock rotors. The stock rotors have more thermal capacity than the RB replacement rotors. You are not getting warp, you are getting uneven deposits from the stock brake pads...

Ted

Yes, you can just get them turned.

The stock rotors have more metal to absorb heat, and the RB rotors have straight vanes like the stockers, not curved . The RB are slotted and lighter than stock. The passages are larger (that is where some of the metal is lost), so it is possible that they will cool a little better, but they will also heat up quicker because of the lack of thermal mass. If you check Xenonk's post about the install, you will see the differences in sizes.

Ted

:spin:

Ted

+1

Archived