LegacyGT.com

BNR EVO 16G ordered

It will be delivered tomorrow. Last week my 2006 LGT w/ 74k threw a CEL which puzzled me because it was running fine. I drive for about 2 miles and accelerate and I hear a screeching sound coming from the hood. I immediately think my turbo is going out. I get to autozone have them read the code and it is the p0011 code. I had no idea what that might be but I was pretty sure it was from the turbo. I have been on this forum for the last week reading horror stories. So this week is my moment of truth. I'm going to try to pull the turbo out today, if not today then thursday and pray that it didn't grenade on me. No metal in the engine please! So wish me luck. I ordered the BNR turbo and new oil lines from Bryan yesterday. Any tips you guys might have for the swap?

Everything I have read on here has pointed to oil issues and the turbo associated w/ this code. That I'm getting this AVCS fault because it is lacking oil pressure from the clogged oil line which has destroyed my turbo. The turbo is done. It sounds like there is gravel in it.

I'm guessing the banjo bolt caused this. I haven't taken it apart yet. I've only had the car for 3 months. I had no idea of this issue with the filter screens or I would have inspected it from the start.

Never had any issues w/ my 06 STI when I had it so I thought the legacy wouldn't have any issues. :) guess I was wrong.

This is the first mod. :lol: Wasn't planning on doing much if anything to this car as it's my daily driver and I want it reliable. But that didn't work out. So this is my first mod. I may add a few things now that I have the 16G. Not too much though because i don't want the 5EAT to go out too. First thing though is hoping there is no metal in the oil pan. I might puke if there is.

This is the first mod. :lol: Wasn't planning on doing much if anything to this car as it's my daily driver and I want it reliable. But that didn't work out. So this is my first mod. I may add a few things now that I have the 16G.

Haha :lol: Famous last words.

Are you considering any improvements to the tranny if you're going with the BNR 16g (or any turbo upgrade for that matter)? I've been reading for what feels like months about turbo upgrades for the 5EAT and I've settled on the BNR 16g but I'm still scared about what it's going to do, or possible do, to my transmission. I've even spoken with Ty at IPT to get some pricing for a rebuild...and now I'm even more scared. I have a 4454 cooler, rallitek mount, IPT VB mod and differential bushings and I'm running Amsoil fluid with frequent drain and fills.

Please keep this thread updated with results.

...Support your LGT community...

Well like I said above wasn't planning on modding this car at all. So this turbo is what I thought was the best for the money and I've heard nothing but great things plus the 1 year warranty included w/ it. I have read not to mod too much w/o upgrading the tranny. i may add a downpipe and get a conservative tune. Like I said want to keep this mild and keep this car up and running for awhile.

Well I got the turbo off tonight finally. The amount of shaft play is ridiculous. Some bent blades but didn't look like it was missing much so I'm hopeful that I may be ok. As for the milky substance I noticed it on the intake side of the turbo as well. I know this is antifreeze and oil mixing. Could this just happen in the turbo since it is toast? Not sure how the internals of the turbo are put together. Whether the oil and coolant could mix if the internals of the turbo were worn out. Or do I need to worry about the head gasket?

The adapter he is referring to is the 3" to 2.5" adapter. The CNT DP is 3" wide, and the stock CBE is 2.5".

You'll be able to drive around without the adapter, but there might be a bit of exhaust leak. I have my CNT catted DP hooked up right now to my stock CBE until i get my new one, no problems here.

^+1. It's not plug-and-play. I'd recommend a DP and at least a transmission cooler ($45...not a big investment) along with a very conservative tune. Check and make sure your '06 doesn't have a cat in the UP (infamous?). Mine doesn't.
...Support your LGT community...

How hard is the install on the transmission cooler? I'm sure not too difficult. Anyone have any recommendations on where to get one?

infamous tune (heard great things and Bryan from BNR recommends)

http://www.infamousperformance.net

Trans cooler walk through here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2605348&postcount=234 Not too hard at all. You can get them at http://www.transmissioncoolers.us I personally have a TruCool 4452, it fits fine and does its job.

Definitely install a catless UP as well the same time you do the DP. Don't want that UP cat coming apart and destroying your new turbo.

Car is back together.. Now just need to get the tune done. Need to get a new inlet pipe though. Poked a hole in it when installing the turbo. I'm guessing that is why I'm hearing a little louder than normal "whoosh".. ran for about 10 min. Going to change the oil again to try to get any possible metal fragments. Had some in the downpipe. Hoping that was it.

Archived