LegacyGT.com

05 LGT w/ 5EAT

trailblaze

going to drop the tranny pan, drain some fluid, change filter and fill back up.

two things i want to clear up since i don't have my "books"

1. Can i use any old ATF fluid thats non-synthetic? and how many qts?

2. Does the tranny pan need a gasket or will RTV work? whats on stock... gasket or rtv?

Thanks guys!

why are you dropping the pan for a drain and fill? It is not necessary.

Also, you realize the trans filter is in the driver side fender well, correct? With the front bumper off it's simple to get to, but otherwise a lot of work for a filter that does not necessarily need replacement often (I plan on changing mine out when I do the timing belt).

You should use 5EAT specific tranny fluid...I use subaru stuff, some use amsoil. Do NOT use regular old ATF.

RTV will work for you gasket material...most auto parts stores sell this 1 minute gasket stuff that works pretty well and cures quickly.

The stock pan is orange subaru RTV type stuff...this stuff takes a long time to cure.

If you end up taking the pan off, a good wire wheel brush will make your life very easy in removing old gasket material.

I'm dropping the pan because it's seeping a bit.

i knew the filter is up under the battery area. i'm having hard downshits 3rd to 2nd and into 1st. the fluid smells a tad burnt and is brownish. it's got 47k and never had a tranny service done.

so you feel stock subi fluid is the best way to go?

Archived