LegacyGT.com

Steering wheel vibration

TakmaN

I got new wheels and tires and had them properly mounted and balanced and an alignment done. I had some slight steering wheel shake and put on hubcentric rings but still have a steering wheel that annoyingly vibrates when I'm going about 55+ mph.

Any ideas what other issues could cause this? I've done everything tire/wheel related that I can think of to solve the issue and nothing is helping.

Thanks all!

I had the same amount but possibly slightly less vibration with my previous set of wheels which were aftermarket as well (had Wedssports and now have Gram Lights).

Had 3 different tire shops look at my wheels to make sure they were properly mounted and balanced. The last tire shop did a great job as the steering wheel would shake pretty violently before they completely re-balanced it.

Sounds like the rotors could be the culprit as my steering wheel shakes like crazy when I brake at highway speeds. I didn't know they could have an affect on the steering wheel shaking when not on the brakes.

Have you done a road force match mounting on your wheels and tires? Excessive road force variation can cause steering wheel shimmy. Any road force variation above 16lb is likely to be a problem.

I did not get them road force balanced but I did have similar vibration with my previous set of wheels which leads me to believe it's something else coming into play (possibly LCA bushings, tie rods, wheel bearings, ball joints, steering rack, etc.).

Two more thoughts. Cooking the brakes can lead to disc warping and / or in combination with a tire shop not correctly setting the torque on their air wrench.

It still could be something else but, it's step by step now.

Archived