LegacyGT.com

headlight restoration

How do you guys keep your headlights clean and new looking?

I've been using the below product but it doesn't last more then 2-3 months. We get some 300+ days of hot sunny weather.

Tips?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71hIyEv3zfL._SL1500_.jpg

You can use PlastX and then follow up with car wax, let it haze up and then clean off residue with terry towel. Wax will protect it from UV for a while. You will have to do this once or twice per year unless you find some glass lens. That's the bad side of plastic headlights, they fade easy.

If you want something that will last, clearcoat them. The headlight restores we do here use a UV activated clear, but a high quality clear would work as well. Sand first as usual, but don't go as fine a grit before clearing (no higher than 800 say) so the clear can adhere properly.

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

I always wetsand then wax

I usually start at 400, remove all the damage (yellowing and nicks in lens), go 800, 1500, 2000 in alternating directions (its the only way to know that you removed all the scratches from the previous grit). Then buff with 3M rubbing compound and then Wax. they should stay nice a a like while so long as you keep wax on them, or use a polish like posted in #1.

I would use caution if trying to use clear over the wetsanded surface, it may end up yellowing anyway if its not the best stuff.

I usually start at 400, remove all the damage (yellowing and nicks in lens), go 800, 1500, 2000 in alternating directions (its the only way to know that you removed all the scratches from the previous grit). Then buff with 3M rubbing compound and then Wax. they should stay nice a a like while so long as you keep wax on them, or use a polish like posted in #1.

I would use caution if trying to use clear over the wetsanded surface, it may end up yellowing anyway if its not the best stuff.

How many times can you wet sand before you have to simply replace it?

For me it was two times. I used a cheap kit that was all manual sanding the first time (Permatex?). Did a passable job. No wax. Lasted about a year.

Used the 3M kit the next time. Comes with a pad for a drill and the results were awesome. The kit includes wax/sealant. After a year, this one is doing much better, but the lights could still use a touch-up. Except that they are both cracked. One top to bottom with many inch long verticals. Sucks.

Depo blacked out with cleared corners are on the way.

I have only done it to any one pair of lights 2 times, this is something I usually do to remove like 5-8 years of abuse and nicks, not intended to do yearly my any means, . Just depends how much material you remove and how anal you want to get about removing all the nicks.

Also don't bother with any of those wet sanding kits with the tiny little sand paper pads, just go buy the paper you need.

i usually just buy the 3M sheets like in the link below. I use about a 1/4 of a sheet of each grit per headlight, so its a small investment (usually the same as a kit) that can literally last you a life time.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/3M-03001-Imperial-Automotive-Sandpaper/dp/B002NEWXH4/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1377186656&sr=1-5&keywords=3m+sandpaper+9]3M 03001 Imperial Wetordry 3-2/3" x 9" 1000 Grit Automotive Sandpaper (Five sheets per pack) : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Also for just clearing up minimal hazing, i have had good luck using Never-dull in the past, works best for cleaning up SS and exhaust tips though, still a nice thing to have around. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-One-1035605-Nevr-Dull-Wadding/dp/B000CNBI1A/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1377187013&sr=1-1&keywords=never+dull]Amazon.com: Eagle One 1035605 Nevr-Dull Wadding Polish - 5 oz.: Automotive[/ame]

Maybe i will need to make a "legacy" diy, i just bought my OBXT and its headlights and fog lights need it badly. I should also mention that my methods are quite time consuming, i usually spend 1.5 to 3 hours per headlight, so usually i remove them, bring them inside and watch a movie while i wetsand over a rubbermaid tub. I will dig up some pictures of the results i usually get.

I use the same PlastX as the OP, and it does a nice job of buffing up any cloudiness and makes them shiny and purdy again...

But it wears off after a few months and you have to re-apply.

It's purely a Band-Aid quick fix solution. But it works for a while.

A gentle sand, polish, wax like others have stated is a much more permanent solution.

You put your method exactly as I do it too. I've done my own Chryslers (which yellow about 15 minutes after they come out of the mold) with exactly the same method a couple of times in the past-one is a 2000 and the other is a 2002- and I can generally get about 2 years out of them without having to do anything again. I use the rubbing compound (orange), then use the white polishing compound, then use The Wax Shop race glaze over them with a small drill pad (wool) and they stay very clear for a long time. I put the race glaze on them about 5-6 times a year.

I've also done my daughter's Olds the same way and I only have had to do them once in 4 years. She puts the race glaze on them about once a month and they've stayed quite nice. At this point, I think I should do them again, but to go 4 years, is pretty good.

I used the Sylvania kit last summer on my wife's MDX the car bakes in the 90+ sun all day and they still look like I just did them. I think I'm going to go with wetsand method from earlier posts on my GT.

Archived