LegacyGT.com

Headlight clearing (w/pics)

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Step one - Grow a pair

Step two - Take off all the pop its around the bumper (a flat head screwdriver works well). Just pop the tabs up and pull them out. There are a few on top and underneath that are easy to find. But make sure you remove the ones in the wheel wells before trying to pull the bumper off. They are right in the wheel well where the bumper meets the rest of the body.

Step 3 - After all the pop its are removed and if you don't need to mod your grill the bumper and grill should come off in one piece. Just start with one side at a time and it should release from the bumper with a little force.

Step 4 - After removing the bumper and setting it aside there are about 6 screws in each light that need to be removed. I did one light at a time to ensure that I knew how to put it back on. Remove the screws and the light should come out no problem.

Step 5 - Remove all the bulbs and wiring from the light. There are also three screws on the back of the light that need to come out. After this throw it on some aluminum foil in the oven. I did it at 260 F for 15 minutes and there was no damage to the lights. Just loosen the tabs and pull apart with some force.

Step 6 - After the light is open and apart there are three screws inside that need to be removed. Take these out and feel free to customize whatever you want. I just took off the orange reflectors which was harder than I originally thought. I used a butter knife and slid it in an opening working it around the edges until the reflector popped off (be careful not to snap off the corners of the lights).

Step 7 - Put the light back together and stick it in the oven. I did the same temperature and time as when I first baked them (260 F for 15 min). I then pushed them together and much as I could, put the screws back in and popped it back in for another 5 min.

Step 8 - Good luck putting your car back together! It looks messy and hard but everything pieces together like a puzzle.

I don't have too many pictures but here are some and an example of how to do the pop its for those who don't know.

IMG_0318.thumb.jpg.ddecb89c67ff044d4bf938ee42cf8a04.jpg

IMG_0319.thumb.jpg.87624527f5ef3517464f10e10a73f8a3.jpg

IMG_0320.thumb.jpg.538f309e5f4e05f2c976f75de70e8c16.jpg

IMG_0321.thumb.jpg.512d211db9a385ec9570ff4e12544128.jpg

IMG_0322.thumb.jpg.8f3c95068cb72ac3f61721ab9991e298.jpg

IMG_0323.thumb.jpg.8bc8552eac3738261ed623eb1429f180.jpg

IMG_0324.thumb.jpg.efb642c3810d673c310b887e0764366d.jpg

IMG_0325.thumb.jpg.3907a89a529e05b0e7d996f331297762.jpg

IMG_0326.thumb.jpg.2ed74b70e0b1e7bd7f9858ae43631f3f.jpg

IMG_0328.thumb.jpg.62c4b9ddbfb411ea2d5051fd9358ad28.jpg

• 7 months later...
No excuse not to clear your lights guys. I admit I was nervous so I set the oven @ 170 degrees. Lights in for 20 minutes, came right apart. Cleared them and put them back in the oven for 10 minutes, then used a bead of GE waterproof silicone and slapped them back together. Very happy with the results.

• 4 months later...
I have read through most of this tread and will be doing this and the blacking of the crome... but is there a way to tint the lens? Would I just pick up some window tint and tint the inside of the lens? And what about the rear lens? Edited by Subie Lovers
more to add

subie lovers, if you are going to tint your headlights, tint the outside. It is not legal to even tint headlights or tail lights but if you get any crap for it, you can remove it with ease instead of having to take the whole lens apart again. I have my tails tinted and you want to use a flexible tint. You can but it from Home Depot or Lowes. There isn't a lot of adhesive on that style tint and it flexes easy. If you use window tint, and remove it later on, it will leave a lot of the adhesive on the lens. Just my opinion, but I would black them out and leave it alone in the front.

• 2 months later...
Question Fellas, I cleared my light about two weeks ago, however, my projectors were way off after install. I can't seem to get them aligned and it looks like the beams of light are "bug-eyed" out. Any suggestions?

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

Did you recheck the housing and make sure it sealed correctly?

I think I did...in fact, I resealed it with new silicone. I'll include a pic to show you what I mean, but it's like the main part of the beam faces slightly outward (bug-eyed). The horizontal adjustment only pulls the bulb over so far towards the center.:confused: Think I have to pull them apart again?

That maybe your best bet, to make sure it's aligned in the housing correctly.

Also, recheck the bulb and see if it's seated right. If it's off, it will cause your beam to be slightly off too.

My wife's balls are delicious.

That maybe your best bet, to make sure it's aligned in the housing correctly.

Also, recheck the bulb and see if it's seated right. If it's off, it will cause your beam to be slightly off too.

I'm certain the bulb is seated correctly, guess I have to double check the projector assembly to make sure it's in the housing correctly.

What a pain...ugh

Edited by doobaruGT
text correction

so I'm baking them now for the second time trying to reconcile the aiming issue and the first light looked as though the housing was seated correctly. I'm not sure what else to do if this doesn't work...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
great write-up pretty easy... ya just gotta make sure you get those turn signal bulbs that are painted silver.. it just looks cleaner that way. What I DIDN'T do was place a bead of silicone down before i put the headlight back together...I felt like the existing stuff was plenty but I realized last week in the dark that there's some space between the front and back pieces of my headlight still so I'd recommend that extra little bit of silicone before re-assembly

• 2 weeks later...

grew some balls, not my first redeo in baking headlights hahah just hate the time consuming process but was very happy with the outcome!

IMG_00187.jpg

IMG_00191.jpg

(warning i lost some chrome on the halo part :( the turn signal chrome was much sturdier but you literally touch the chrome on the halo and it will come off)

IMG_00194.jpg

rustoleum's semi black. i know i always get questions on whether to use high gloss, gloss, semi, flat, satin, etc etc

IMG_00197.jpg

note the halo ring missing some chrome :(

IMG_00199.jpg

rebaked to reactivate the old glue, lense is filthy in this pic NOTE** to remove the amber reflector on the 08-09 it's a little scary but again requires some balls. its glued onto the clear plastic lense by maybe 2-3 corners. while your headlights are hot you should be able to pry it off. work you way from the corner, it WILL sound like you're breaking something but it will come off with patience

IMG_00212.jpg

end result, instagram pic lol. bug/tar remover or any paint cleaner will remove adhesive residue, i dont know if i would use goo-gone or whatever. hit it up with some plastix after and it shined nicely

IMG_00214.jpg

while my headlights were off and apart, i closed that little peeper hole and the cut off is much sharper!

• 3 months later...

attempted clearing my headlights yesterday but couldnt remove the bolts that are found underneath the headlights (where the bumper attaches too) I could get all but one. Tried spraying pb blaster on it and everything. Anyone have any ideas as to how i could tackle this?

cheers

• 2 months later...