LegacyGT.com

Should I buy a '99 Outback with bad headgaskets?

Hello back again! About a year ago I bought a '95 Legacy with a 2.2 that had bad headgaskets and had been severly overheated. I pulled the heads, had them done and put it all back together with new gaskets and timing belt kit. Works great although gutless(130hp :lol:). Just couldn't stand driving something so gutless so we sold it to our nanny as she's a new Canadian and never driven in snow. Perfect car for her!

Anyway now I'm looking at '99 Outback 2.5L with blown HGs. Are these motors as tough as the 2.2s? Can they survive being overheated and could I get away with just heads, gaskets and timing belt again or will the block be damaged?

Is there a big difference in performance? Sadly its an automatic.

Thanks!

So my friend in his stock 97 Outback sport with the 2.2 and a 5speed. And me with a 96 Legacy L with a 2.2 and Auto. Off the line he gets me BARELY we become just about neck and neck.

Performance difference between the two. I can't see much.

He is stock. I am stock other then a cone filter.

• I Donated

the head gaskets on the 2.5s are infamous for having problems. There is an updated gasket kit that you can buy to eliminate future problems.

I would go for it if the price is right. All the work needed will be almost the same as your old 2.2

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived