LegacyGT.com

Est fuel range reading

New car. Have not run it out of gas as of yet. How accurate is the fuel tank range reading? Obviously the manual says not to go by it. But how close is it? My fuel light came on last time and it said I had 150km yet before empty.

From my own experience with mine it seems to get more accurate as time goes by. I can get my car within .5 gallons if I have too. I did notice that it would count down to 10 miles left before I installed my fog lights, now it stops at 30 (I had to unplug the battery, so the ecm reset).

Alex

From what I can tell, the fuel range estimator essentially uses your average fuel economy to calculate your range based on either the amount of gas that is left in the tank or the mileage driven since the last fill up.

Anyone else think the same thing?

I think it calculates the remaining miles based on current driving. IOW if you were driving like a maniac for 1/2 a tank and getting 15 mpg, it'll base it's calulations on that. Then if you drove like grandma for the second 1/2 tank, the miles to empty will reflect that as well. I've noticed it will adjust your driving periodically on a given tank. I've also had a couple gallons or so left (based on the manual's stated fuel tank capacity) even after the miles to empty hits ---.

+1

My fuel economy had been 11 mpg since I only drive accross the street to go to work. When I drove to a meeting about 50 miles on the highway, my display stayed at 50 miles to empty for about 50 miles due to my mpg going through the roof.

Archived