LegacyGT.com

Need help with rear bearing hub removal

I am having trouble getting the large bolt off the spindle. Instead of a cotter pin being through the spindle the outside of the nut is bent down into a channel at the end of the spindle. To get the nut to move you have to bend it out. I can't seem to get a screwdriver tip small enough in there to bend it out. Anyone ever remove the nut and what did you do to bend it out?

Thanks for any help.

Vince

I just replaced 2 axles and all wheel bearings so I had to take all of mine off. I used a punch. One that is used for finishing nails. Just dont make the mistake to try to pry bc mine broke. Also, do you have air tools? It will be WAY easier to get the nut off with them.

FYI, you don't need to bend the notched piece out...that central hub bolt is independent of that "locking" mechanism you're seeing. I've done mine and I just used a large socket wrench and took the handle apart on my jack, put that over the wrench for extra torque, and BINGO! It just requires A LOT of torque to get it off....GL!

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

Its a pain to unbend... I broke the tips on a few small screwdrivers. I ended up using a chisel. I ground the tip of the chisel in half so that it was thin enough to fit in the square keyway.

I wish they would have either used a cotter pin, or a spindle nut and square woodruff key.

Oh well keep at it, it's a pain but it will unbend.

Thanks all for the replies. I tried turning with it bent, but didn't have enough umph to budge it. Ended up using a punch and bending it out.

The roaring from the bearings is gone now, thanks again to all with your replies and help.

Archived