LegacyGT.com

Creaking sounds coming from the rear suspension

GetAwayDriver

LGT-

I have an 05 ULT sedan with the stock dampers and iON spring setup. I have noticed that there is a noticable creaking sound coming from the rear suspension setup. This has been occurring since the car had about 30K on it but only recently has it started getting worrisome.

The car currently has 35.7K miles on it. The springs were installed with no problem when the car had roughly 14K on the odometer.

I am not sure what exactly is going on. I checked out the rear setups and couldn't find anything noticablly wrong. When the car was in for it's 32K at Subaru, I asked them to check the rear and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. The car drives fine but that sound would leave you to believe otherwise. Depending of the "severity" of the speedbump or obstacle, the sound gets worse. And for the record, I do not (by any means) try to WRC the car over those obstructions.

I am thinking that either the dampers or springs in the rear are beginning to go or possibly the bushings need to be replaced; or a combination of the aformentioned problems. One of the mechanics said that that sound is exacerbated by cold temperatures, but it's really warming up now and it's still very noticable.

Has anyone with this combination-or a similar one-had these problems? I just wanted to troubleshoot the problem. I may be taking her on her fourth crosscountry drive soon and want to get this resolved prior to that.

Thanks

05 LGT wagon w/ approx. 37,000 miles - completely stock.

I have had an incredibly annoying creak from the rear suspension for at least the past 20,000 miles. The sound is most noticeable after going over speed bump or exiting a driveway, although as it worsens it is becoming noticeable during regular driving too (off-camber turns when accelerating). The sound is only created during the rebound (upward) of the suspension.

There is nothing visibly out of order and all fasteners have been checked for tightness.

The car has been to the dealer at least 4x's with complaints of this issue while it was under warranty. They have failed to resolve it every time and finally resulted in telling me it was normal. Attempts to fix including spraying all the bushings with Silicone spray and replacement of some of the bushings (can't remember exactly which ones).

The dealership now will not return calls or address the issue and as such I will be writing a letter to SOA on this matter.

If you find a solution to this issue, please share all the info you can...

I have the exact same issue with mine and I am running Cobb sways with all the upgrades connections and this is definately the source of the creaks...speed bumps are the worst and most embarrasing!

I am running Ohline fixed perch and ION's as well...!

I tried with Suby many a times to get this done and got the same look...nice to hear there is a solution...grease the swaybar bushings is the word!

J

Endlinks... My Cobb RSB DESTROYED the factory endlinks. New KARTBOY endlinks all around = end of noises!

If you can move the dust boot at all on the factory links I would think that would be your culprit.

Archived