LegacyGT.com

OB tire upgrade

mhamilton

Looking to upgrade tires on OB with 17x7 rims.

Since neither the Pzero and the Conti Extreme come in the stock size for an OB (225/55/17) what size should I move to ?

225/45/17 or 235/45/17

The 235 will put a little more rubber on the ground be a slightly better match for the speedo - but will it be too much sidewall overhang for 7" stock rims?

Another alternative is Avon 235/50/17.

Or Bridgestone RD960 AS 225/50/17 (expensive)

Advice please.

Driving in california. Rain, not much snow.

Tire Diameters:

225/55 = 26.74"

225/50 = 25.86"

225/45 = 24.97"

235/50 = 26.25"

235/45 = 25.33"

A quick review of specs at TireRack shows the 235s needing a 7.5" rim mimimum. Doesn't sound like the 235s are a good idea. The other 225s will introduce at least a 3% speedo error. Why not just stay with stock size summer tires?

Along similar lines, Iwas thiking about replacing my stock wheels (winter now) with a set of 18x7.5 rota's or something cheap. Its nearly impossible to find tires in 225/50/18. I think only Blizzak's come in that size for $180 a tire!

Back on track, if you can find them in that size, Falken 512 are a great all season and have nice stiff sidewalls, and makes for a great "higher" performance tire over stock.

I would go with the Avons, I went on the Tire Rack website and they look like they would be good A/S tires. When my Potenzas wear donwn, that's what I am going to get. I am in Cali too, so I gotta be ready for some rain and some snow for the winter snowboarding trips to Mammoth or Big Bear.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Different tires vary in width & diameter even for the same nominal size, keep that in mind :)

The stock 225/55/17 RE-92's are 26.9" diameter, the Pzero's in 235/55/17 are very close at 27.1" - they'll work fine if that's what you decide on.

I'm thinking about the Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge when I'm ready for tires, looks like they fit what need pretty well.

Well I am reall nervous about putting a 235 tire on the 7" rim

The Pzero nero (with the OE Mustang tread ... wonder what that looks like)

is the ONLY 235 I have seen that allows a 7" rim. I bet that it is really not a good idea. Too much sidewall overhang will make for poor cornering.

I think I have to go to 225/45 if I want the PZero. The Speedo error is somethign I can live with.

They are good in cold weather, not snow; but my Yokohama Advan S.T.'s have phenomenal dry/wet grip and hydroplane resistance. I would put them at about the same level of grip as SO3's. They have a reinforced side-wall and outer-tread especially for heavy, high-ground clearance SUV's and Bently's. Negates the bobbing and front tire-folding understeer.

Archived