LegacyGT.com

Guys - I'm curious as to everyone's personal experience with EBCS. And everyone's opinion, specifically:

At stage 2 type levels, is it worth it?

Is it an added point of failure, what are longevity experiences?

Did it get you more HP/TQ?

Why/Why not get it?

Thanks so much guys!

I run the Grimmspeed one on mine. Cobb makes one too - its the same one that the Mazdaspeeds use. It was highly suggested (Cobb)that I have one when I did the turbo swap because it apparently really helps the tuner dial in your curve and controls the boost at those levels.

I don't think, where you're at, its needed. It wouldn't hurt though. I've never come across readings of them "failing". Concerning more power? I guess it just allows better "control" of your power from the ECU.

Note: I hear my EBC chatter (like a "ttttttttttt") all the time - working - at low boost and rpm, which I called to make sure its normal :lol:. I think the Cobb one is quieter. Its my piece of mind along with my AOS from Crawford (which I need to get installed) for my engine/turbo.

I'd say it's unnecessary until you upgrade the stock turbo. While it wouldn't hurt, you'd have to be retuned for it If you're dead set on it, at least wait until you're already going in for a retune to mess with it.

I think the first two have answered the question perfectly. I have a Grimmspeed EBCS sitting in my office right now. It will be installed as part of the turbo swap.

• 3 years later...

Saw the grimmspeed video and it scared me off into doing it myself. Has anyone done theirs by themselves and how hard was it and how long did it take?

I hadn't planned on a turbo upgrade, but I'd like a tune once I get the charge pipe and bov installed and tuners tend to like this EBCS.

Pointless at stg2. Response on the stock turbo is so fast because of it's size and the short header there just isn't any advantage. You do not need a tune for a charge pipe or for a BOV either. You are wasting money and time on trinkets like this. Get yourself a high-flow metal cat J-pipe and either the Turbosmart Kompact bypass valve or the stock Evo X BPV and then tune for stage 2 with just those mods. Until you go to a larger turbo you don't need anything else.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I got the Cobb one with the Grimmspeed adapter.

Also at stage two, but I'm looking in the near future for turbo swap. Tuner didn't recommend it, but I thought it would just be a nice addition to getting protuned.

If you're getting a tune anyway, it's not going to cost extra beyond the cost of a BCS, and those can be had for well under $100. It's just not worth doing as a standalone mod.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Pointless at stg2. Response on the stock turbo is so fast because of it's size and the short header there just isn't any advantage. You do not need a tune for a charge pipe or for a BOV either. You are wasting money and time on trinkets like this. Get yourself a high-flow metal cat J-pipe and either the Turbosmart Kompact bypass valve or the stock Evo X BPV and then tune for stage 2 with just those mods. Until you go to a larger turbo you don't need anything else.

Do you have a make/model on the J pipe. i'll probably do some upgrades next week. thanks

"J-pipe" is what people have started calling the exhaust pipe coming out of the turbo on the 5th-gen LGT, as well as the '15+ WRX and '14+ Forester XT, since "downpipe" isn't really all that accurate anymore.

I think he wants a suggestion on brands or models of aftermarket items, not an explanation for the name ;)

And in answer to that, anything except the Nameless one!

Call it a double cheeseburger if it makes you happy ;)

Archived