LegacyGT.com

Unfriendly WRX drivers

I don't get it!! When I had my WRX I would wave or get waved to from other Subie owners driving WRX's, Legacy's, Forester XT's and sometimes even a Outback. Now I have a Legacy GT. This morning while driving to work I saw 2 WRx's (one blue & one black) following each other. Due to traffic and a slowdown in their lane, I was able to pull up next to them. I beeped and waved. Both of them looked at me like I had 2 heads and then when the traffic freed up...they tried to get ahead of me. What the heck!! I know what kind of car a WRX is and the power it has...why do they have to act like that?? I just wanted to say hi to some fellow Subie owners. I just don't get it.

Oh well...I guess the friendly Subie wave is going the ways of the dinosaurs. :(

Rob

P.S. I will not give up. If I see another Subie...I will still wave. Especially if I see another Legacy GT. I have not seen one since I got my LGT yet.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i used to wave to other Subes in the SVX, and i don't think they realized its a Subaru. :lol:

i have been waved at a few times where i was busy checking out the other car, and just plain forgot to wave. :redface: i try to when i can, though.

So far I haven't even been able to make eye contact with another Subie owner. I've been next to two LGTs, two STIs, and countless WRX and Outbacks. I almost always look over for acknowledgement, but they never look back. Oh well.

Since most of you are from up north and Subaru are common as rice, and people are generally more snotty, and so other Subaru owners aren't part of the "exclusive" bunch anymore, but down here in North Carolina I always get a wave back from any WRX or STI that I wave to. I've seen 2 GTs and 2 is, but none where close enough or in the right position to wave to and expect something back.

Mojo

I keed I keeed

I'd say they're trying to figure out why the honda guy wants to race, then they feel a need to show that their car is faster... so they use traffic as a slolom course. Personally I don't wave, but I do look and usually get a lot of heads turned when the bov hits. Had nothing but compliments so far. I have yet to get any strange looks although an old lady flicked me off the other day... I gues she thought I was reving or something when I shifted... lol. The other thing is the high-beam check... seems everyone thinks I have high beams or I'm flashing them because when I shift hard the car sqwats and I guess it looks like a high beam flash... oh welll... lol.

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

i agree that wrx has turned into the rice community car....

All sorts of asian kids are getting this car now, and its really lost its exclusivity. It's almost become the car to get instead of the honda civics (if u have the money). It's really quite a shame.. As much as i love the subie and want it to be successful, i don't want it to be as common as the civic. It's a waste on people who don't truly appreciate the car...

I don't agree it is the rice community car and that only asian guys are buying the car either. I do agree that it is the car for a young guy to have because of the relatively inexpensive mod potential and performance. All that these guys need is a little education on the subie wave thing basically - so keep waving and they will get it sooner or later.

All sorts of asian kids are getting this car now, and its really lost its exclusivity. It's almost become the car to get instead of the honda civics (if u have the money). It's really quite a shame.. As much as i love the subie and want it to be successful, i don't want it to be as common as the civic. It's a waste on people who don't truly appreciate the car...

/nod Hense I bought the LGT...

That and I'm getting old!!! :eek:

i used to wave to other Subes in the SVX, and i don't think they realized its a Subaru. :lol:

i have been waved at a few times where i was busy checking out the other car, and just plain forgot to wave. :redface: i try to when i can, though.

No S, I've never seen one, then yesterday on my way home POW....Red SVX, I've been dy'n to see one after see'n your Avatar...

My '02 WRX was my first subie so it took me a while to notice the wave because I was not aware of the community. I noticed people stopped waving or acknowledging in the middle of '04 . Now with the LGT I get no love, except two days ago when a STI gave the wave, which made feel accepted again.:D

The new Civic Si is a snail. People that want to fix up a Civic are getting the earlier models from '92-'95 and dropping B16A or B18C motors in there along with aftermarket turbos, etc. Still, if anyone is going to go through all that trouble, why not just get the WRX? AWD is always better than Wrong Wheel Drive. :)

I'm just saying that a lot more asian guys are buying the car, and ricing them out.... hehehe. But what am i to talk... asian girl getting her first subie (Legacy 2.5i). I just love the feel of the car, even after driving my mom's `97 Legacy wagon through high school...

No better time for me to learn the Subie wave than now!

I haven't had much luck getting waves returned, either. I do, however, get a kick out of it every time (4 times so far) a WRX owner asks me why I bought by OBXT instead of a WRX when the WRX is SO much faster. I just smile and tell them to look up the numbers. :)

Since most of you are from up north and Subaru are common as rice, and people are generally more snotty, and so other Subaru owners aren't part of the "exclusive" bunch anymore

Yup, that's the impression I have here in the Midwest (Ohio + Indiana) - snottiness or to common. I crane my neck to check out another Subie on the road, but it seems I never get the same response back. However, when I visit my mother in Atlanta, fellow Subie drivers make an effort to greet each other.

- "I've worked with better, but not many."

i've had ONE sti come up and wave, but most wrx/stis don't even know what the legacy looks like.

i've also had a 3000gt come up and try to race me as i was coming back from the grocery store ... pretty funny, guys kept dropping from 3rd to 2nd but i wouldn't play along ...

I followed a couple modded wrx's near my place a few weeks ago, and when I turned off on a side street the driver in front waved out his window. I think some WRX drivers know whats up, others don't. The problem is the WRX is a bit to common now and a bunch of punk kids are driving them who don't respect the car like other subie drivers do.

Archived