LegacyGT.com

Is mobil 1 dangerous for my engine?

I've heard from someone that mobil 1 is bad on Subaru engines. I've heard this from some friend whose friend had a blown engine on his subaru after changing to mobil 1. The guy at jiffy lube (where I always get my engine oil changes done) told me that this wasn't true. I guess that he must know more about oil than I do because he's doing oil changes for a living. I don't know who to believe. What should be the best oil brand and viscosity rate for my engine? I love my car and I don't want to blow the engine with bad oil. This is my daily driver and I don't want to ruin it this way. By the way none of this is true I just made it up. This is a trap thread I've just created it to see who would answer without reading the whole thing. Now let's sit back and laugh at everyone who will attempt to flame me without knowing that the joke is on them.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Furthermore being a mechanic does not mean you follow oil analysis. If you truly care enough, searching for the answer works really well.

Edit: ^^^ could probably apply to every oil thread (real or fake) on earth...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

FWIW. Given ours is a 2.5i.

Annapolis Subaru used a Ford dino/syn blend, can't remember the brand name.

OTOH, other threads here have quoted a SOA email warning against synthetic, IIRC something about not activating the variable cams properly.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

THIS IS NO JOKE :spin:

I have read the same thing :eek: this sounds like a very serious issue. Does anybody know of any other synthetic oils that will not harm the Subaru engine?

I use Wesson regular. No problems so far.

Canola cooking oil is some pretty amazing stuff!

(the contributor in this post is a trained professional and performed this post with emergency supervision on hand, it is not to be performed by amateurs)

I like a good Italian olive oil for the first 30k mi, then go with an Extra Virgin Greek or Turkish olive oil once the engine is good and broken in.

For Imprezas and Forresters assembled in Japan, I hear that it's better to use sesame oil.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I use Wesson regular. No problems so far.

Is that Smith & Wesson ?

BTW great thread, this is perhapps the bestest oil related thread me's has ever read!

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived