LegacyGT.com

Stage 2 LGT passes CA Smog

Scooter

Hey there! I don't think many of us have had to face a CA smog test yet, so I thought I'd report on my experience. After 12 years living in Michigan I moved back home to SoCal a couple months ago. In order to get the car registered in California I had to pass the smog test. I decided to just take it in as-is to see what would happen, and I walked away 20 minutes later with my certificate, no problem! Car specs:

2005 LGT Sedan 5MT

Stock air filter *

Bosal STi catless UP (looks stock)

Cobb HiFlow Cat DP

TDC Stage 2 ACN panel filter map (Cobb AP v2.0)

Chevron 91 ACN gas

The car runs so very smooth on the TDC map that I kinda figured it would pass the sniffer, but I wasn't certain. I was not expecting the Cobb DP to pass the visual check, of course, but the engine bay looks stock and the tech never got down on the ground to look under the car. I'm also lowered (KW's) and have OZ Ultraleggera wheels, so I'm a little surprised that they didn't seem to suspect engine mods, too... but maybe they chose not to care..? I was friendly and just played dumb, "hey, just moved here and need the car smogged, but don't really know what that all involves." They didn't ask about engine mods or anything; they just ran the test.

For those interested in the Idle Emission Test Results, here goes:

750 RPM - HC (PPM) Measured 34 [Ave 17, Max 100]; CO (%) Measured 0.18 [Ave 0.0, Max 1.00]

2624 RPM - HC (PPM) Measured 15 [Ave 12, Max 130]; CO (%) Measured 0.25 [Ave 0.1, Max 1.00]

So you can see that even though I was slightly above the average (of passing cars), I was still way below the max allowable for both hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide emissions. Not too shabby for the HP, eh?!!

Kudos to Cobb and TDC. :wub:

* - I normally run the AVO panel filter, but I took it out to wash it after the fires and haven't put it back in yet. I didn't think an aftermarket panel filter would fail the visual inspection, but I didn't want to chance it.

At this time I'm not going to mention the name of the shop, so please don't ask. I think it's moot for now, anyway, since most of you aren't due for your first smog check for another couple years anyway, right?

Cheers - Scott

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

On a side-note, I feel I should complain a bit that you SoCal folks don't seem to be very observant! I've been here over three months now and have been driving pretty much every weekend between San Diego (El Cajon) and Cypress to visit the gf, but I have yet to be spotted!! lol Oh well, I guess it goes both ways: I have not yet spotted many of you, either. :p

so if a stage 2 will pass would a turbo-swapped car pass?

im going fp green soon, so this info would be good.

i imagine the only real difference is more gas so slightly higher emissions?

how high does the smog technician rev?

car for sale. PM me!

I believe the sniffer for awd vehicles (non dyno test) is at idle and 2500 rpm. BTW it does not at all surprise me that a catted Stg2 LGT would pass the sniffer. The max allowable emissions are actually very high. The problem is that a thorough smog tech should have failed the car on the visual inspection. Most don't care and will let you get away with a bunch of stuff, but you never know what kind of guy you are going to get.FYI, I took my parents' bone stock 2001 Honda Accord with 160k miles to get smogged last week and the sniffer read 1ppm HC, 0.00 CO and 1ppm NOx. That is damn clean. Basically means that the LGT of the OP polutes about as much as 20 Accords... that is pretty wow... no judgement here since my car will soon be running around catless again but it does put things in perspective.

so if a stage 2 will pass would a turbo-swapped car pass?

im going fp green soon, so this info would be good.

i imagine the only real difference is more gas so slightly higher emissions?

how high does the smog technician rev?

You should have no problem as long as you have a functional cat. But the FMIC will need to have the oem BPV, also wouldn't hurt to bring the vehicle code document stating a FMIC is perfectly legal.....

I believe the sniffer for awd vehicles (non dyno test) is at idle and 2500 rpm. BTW it does not at all surprise me that a catted Stg2 LGT would pass the sniffer. The max allowable emissions are actually very high. The problem is that a thorough smog tech should have failed the car on the visual inspection. Most don't care and will let you get away with a bunch of stuff, but you never know what kind of guy you are going to get.FYI, I took my parents' bone stock 2001 Honda Accord with 160k miles to get smogged last week and the sniffer read 1ppm HC, 0.00 CO and 1ppm NOx. That is damn clean. Basically means that the LGT of the OP polutes about as much as 20 Accords... that is pretty wow... no judgement here since my car will soon be running around catless again but it does put things in perspective.

that's also because our cars are 20 times more awesome.

car for sale. PM me!

Completed my registration this morning and got my plates.... so what is everybody doing about mounting the front plate?? Michigan doesn't have a front plate, so my car did not come with a bracket or anything. Hmmm... this has probably been discussed before, so I suppose a Search is in order!

• 11 months later...

Scooter,

Thanks for the post!

I was just about to post a new topic about this but the fancy technology told me a similar item had already been posted.

I'm about to unload all my OEM exhaust components because I just moved and have no more storage avaialble. However, I didn't want to be up a creek when it comes time to get my first smog test. After reading your post I'm not too concerned letting my stuff go.

Oh, and for the front license plate do a search and see if you can find some pictures that I may have posted. I think my solution is by far the best I have ever seen on a legacy. I'm like the other guy. I never had a plate for 13 years but I got pulled over for no plate a year ago and after that I decided to put it back on but had to modify it to my liking.

I'm trying to wok or I woudl take the time to upload another pic.

You should be able to search my posts and find license plate.

thanks again!

Completed my registration this morning and got my plates.... so what is everybody doing about mounting the front plate?? Michigan doesn't have a front plate, so my car did not come with a bracket or anything. Hmmm... this has probably been discussed before, so I suppose a Search is in order!

Just do what I do...don't run on plates at all! :lol:

"Officer, I just got the car detailed and didn't get a chance to put the plates back on."

• 3 months later...
The problem with the front plates in CA is not the cops pulling you over, I don't have a plate in the Miata, and never will, but the problem is the parking enforcement officers, I have gotten 4 in 2 years, 2 in Santa Monica, 2 downtown LA. Those guys unload in their pants giving tickets. Dislike themmmmm Dislike.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Stage 2 with a Cobb off-the-shelf Stage 2 map, gutted up, gutted shorty DP, stock cat in the mid, everything else stock. Passed with flying colors yesterday.

770 RPM - HC (PPM) Measured 46 [Ave 17, Max 100]; CO (%) Measured 0.04 [Ave 0.0, Max 1.00]

2452 RPM - HC (PPM) Measured 13 [Ave 12, Max 130]; CO (%) Measured 0.04 [Ave 0.10, Max 1.00]

Went for a smog check yesterday.

Okay, so I didn't pass, but I didn't actually fail. The tech was unable to hold my revs steady at 2500rpm. It wandered from 2300-2700 and the machine aborted the test. The guy said it might be a vacuum leak somewhere but he wasn't sure. Idle and drivability is fine, but I did swap out the AEM CAI for the stock box just before the test to pass visual (which I did). Any ideas on where I should start with this?

Archived