LegacyGT.com

93 Octange or 87 + octane boost

Silly question... With gas well over 3.25 (in NJ) and well higher elsewhere... I was wondering if buying a case of Octane booster along with regular gas would end up much cheaper. Currently I'm spending around 400$ a month to drive back and fourth to work. I haven't priced Octane boost in quite some time, nor have I looked for it in Cost Cutters, or BJ's, but I would think buying it in bulk would obviously be cheaper then buying by the individual can. Regular gas is about 50 cents less a gallon less then super. Your thoughts????

Maybe if you buy it in bulk, but it may be even more effective if you also could control when it's added. You don't need it most of the time, only when you want to avoid knock situations. So secondary injectors controlling injection of octane booster? OK - it will be a hack, but you will save it for when it's needed.
453747.png

I've thought about this too. I'm no expert but I think the octane boost only raises it 2-3 points per bottle. The amount you would have to add to get to 93 and the fact that 93 is only 25-30 cents more per gallon than 87, it doesn't add up. Plus I would be worried about the octane boost being uniformily distributed in the tank.

i think my gas door says 87+octane boost. Or does it say use premium only? choices.

Quote of the day. " never gamble with anything you cant afford to lose."

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

Silly question... With gas well over 3.25 (in NJ)

:eek::eek::eek::eek: OMG $3.25!!! I don't remember the last time I paid $3.25. $3.80's is more like it.

Really though, premium is what $0.25 more per gallon. A fill up when the gas light is on is about 15 gallons. So that's $3.75. Are you really going to save any money?

You could always trade in your GT for a 2.5i, at least you will save in the long run with the better fuel economy.

The first, last and only time I looked at a bottle of octane booster it said it was worth "Up To 10 points!!!!" then in small letters on the back of the bottle said that 1 point is worth 0.1 octane, so essentially, a whole bottle (oh did I mention is said in 12 gallons) was worth 1 octane. In essence, worthless.

I'd say just get the premium, there's way too many things that can go wrong when you pour a bottle of snake oil into your tank.

let me have my input as well

3.25 is actually some 50 cents cheaper than what I am paying.

87 octane will save you some 3 bucks a fuel tank (15 gallon fillup, 20 cent difference between premium and 87). WHY ARE YOU SO CHEAP ?

If you want REAL improvements, lay off the pedal and drive slower, and accelerate at a slower rate. Here's the wonders of that in Chicago traffic !

280 miles

22.8 mpg (dash)

21.54 mpg calculated at the pump.

By far, the best mpg over a full fuel tank ever. About 40 % was done in conditions of relatively light traffic, the rest was spent in bumper-to-bumper rush-hour traffic (as in going to and from work).

- granny acceleration

- shifted at 2000 rpm

- cruise control ALL the time

- max speed 60 mph- engine braking (coasting in gear to a stop - not violently downshifting)

I can routinely get 30 mpg on the highway if I behave. Real 30 mpg.

IMG00249.thumb.jpg.83495fda831fed47b309ba511b73253f.jpg

IMG00238.thumb.jpg.1bed635dc80312a08ad97b2483ca6a85.jpg

IMG00239.thumb.jpg.9ab27638f28a08f5dc685fbf4b2d28a2.jpg

Archived