LegacyGT.com

Best bang and sound for the $$$ catback

VaughanCustoms

So after test driving the Legacy GT I found out this is really what I want. So I will be getting one in the very near future but I love the way the Boxer motors sound with exhaust but I am used to a Mustang where I can get a catback for like $400 lol. I see some for over $1000 and like omg but at the same time I don't mind spending money to get some quality stuff that sounds amazing. What is everyones thoughs or experiance with exhaust and how much is it? I would like to stay arond the $500-700 range

spt,avo,autospeed,or borla catbacks

for your question on intakes i would suggest using the search button. this forum has been around for a long time and most of us dont like lazy people. good luck with your purchases

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

What year LGT do you have?

New intakes are generally looked down upon.. You will need to be tuned for it(lose power and economy if not) and it doesn't help anyway. the OEM airbox and filter are good to over 300whp.

I've heard FMS and Gimmick exhausts, both sound good and are cheap (look at the vendor forums on this site). You get what you pay for though, they tend to have slight fitment issues from what I've read, although an exhaust shop should be able to take care of it for fairly cheap. I'm a bit Magnaflow fan though, hard to beat the quality and customer service.

'08 Legacy 2.5i - hybrid intake - delta 1000 - E85 - magnaflow exhaust

I bought the OBX exhaust for around 400 or so. I really like the sound and the quality so far has not disappointed. As a metal worker the only thing i could say is the welds aren't that pretty but there is nothing structurally wrong with it. I'll post quick sound clip if i can

Nice yeah I was looking at those and for the value not a bad buy. I won't really have many mods so I am not really sure on sound but the clips I saw on youtube sound pretty sexy. As far as ugly welds go I mean I like things to be nice but at the same token it will be under the car and not a huge issue.

Nice, good info. So if you want to do a CIA on these cars a tune is in store. The Cobb tuner seems to be popular? Running a K&N panel filter anyone run these and actually see benifits? just trying to gather all my info so when I get the car I can budget parts that I want to get for the car.

Well sorry, I don't mean to come off as lazy its just there are so many post and theads that list these items its hard to get solid answers. Maybe there is a better way to search that I don't know about but its tough sorting through it all. I have build muscle cars and this is my first japanese and my first turbo car so there are questions.

I don't know what year LGT you have. You can log on an 05/06/07 without CANBUS more cheaply with a vag-com cable than with an 08/09 which requires an OpenPort device.

Check this forum:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/index.php

I was where you are 18 months ago. Through reading the forums, I've now tuned my LGT through Stage 2 and Stage 3 with the help of open-source tuners and internet resources. I'm a long shot from an expert or even knowledgeable, but I'm competent.

Tits mcgee

Basically the ECU on these cars has a fairly strict set of parameters that they operate within and it's got a limited ability to compensate for changes in hardware.

When you change your intake system or air filter the MAF sensor needs to be rescaled so that you get a true reading of how much air you're flowinginto the motor, which the ecu uses to calculate how much fuel is needed to make a proper BANG.

Ok makes sense. My Cobra was less picky but it has a full tune a fully forged motor that I built myself. I get the feeling that you guys think I am stupid but I have fully built 2 cars one of them a full restoration from the ground up. Its just always better to be prepared and know what your getting into and know what to buy from people with personal experiance. I have had to replace parts in the past because on paper is seems like the best choice but in acutality not really what you want or looking for so I am trying to minimize money wasted. I have also worked in the Automotive and Parts industries for over 7 years. Thank you for the info. BTW I am buying a 05 Legacy GT from djkxgo0k on here.

Well post any other questions you have and we will try to point you in the right direction.

Didn't mean to be a dick but your first post in this thread had some of the "red flag" questions that indicate extreme noobness and the same ol noob questions can usually be answered by skimming through the Stickys on this forum.

Basically the ECU on these cars has a fairly strict set of parameters that they operate within and it's got a limited ability to compensate for changes in hardware.

But the beautiful thing is this can be changed so that the cars ecu can handle pretty much anything you want to throw at it by changing the parameters. You just need to find someone whos adept at making these changes. Or you can read about it yourself and do it.

that's why he gave you some good keywords to search on.

bottom line, if you start changing your cars setup, either look into changing the ecu settings yourself or find someone who does it. Theres plenty of guys on here who offer it as a service.

http://OpenECU.org

Ok cool thanks, I am just used to cars not so computer driven. My 1967 Mercury Cougar is all mechanical and my 1998 Cobra is tuned and chipped but on the Mustangs they are not that dialed in when stock you can do many bolt ons before you have to worry about tuning. You get all your power from the mods with the tune but not like a requirement.

The Cobra motor I built

http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r644/MVaughan88/IMG_20130827_144038_zps77ae5943.jpg

http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r644/MVaughan88/IMAG0257_zps8e53e145.jpg

Looks nice.

Per your original question, I have a GMS catback (with mid pipe resonator) on my 06 LGT. I just put on a 3" Invidia downpipe on yesterday and I love the sound. it's not that loud considering it's a full 3" turbo back now. It's super bassy, you can feel it when you're behind the car. The Invidia is also catted, so that helps.

With those two exhaust components, I can hear my turbo spool rather clearly, which personally, I love. The GMS catback was about 400 I think when I bought it a few years ago. It's not perfect fitment, but it works fine. I put it on probably 2.5-3 years ago, just took it off for the first time yesterday and it's holding up well. To my surprise, the resonated section isn't even rusting! The rest of it has but that's to be expected out here with very harsh winters.

If I had a bunch of extra money, I might consider getting a more mainstream brand CBE (SPT, Borla, etc) but really, I think those would be too loud for me since they aren't resonated. The level I'm at with this setup pleases me AND the GF, so...

http://i.imgur.com/acN8qPr.jpg

Archived