LegacyGT.com

TORQUE Wrench questions...

Are they all created the same...

I want to get my own. I think if I am changing and rotating tires it would be advisable to have.

Which one should I get and why? Any luck with any of these or should I just spend the extra and get Craftsman because it's the ALL AMERICAN tool for everything and spend....$126.00?

Here are some listed on AMAZON I found...I'm not a mechanic so...any

technical advice would be welcome... They range in price from $23- $65

1)Neiko 3/8-Inch 10-80 Foot-Pounds Automatic Torque Wrench

2)Pittsburgh Professional 1/2" Drive Click Stop Torque Wrench 20-150lbs

3)Gorilla Automotive TW605 Torque Wrench

4)TEKTON 2445 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench, 25-250 Ft./Lb.

5)Mountain 16250 1/2-inch Drive Torque Wrench - 25-250 ft/lbs

Your advice is appreciated as I start to build my own "garage."

Look for something either electronic or clicky in the 10-150 ft/lb range. Some of the suspension stuff (top hats to strut towers) needs the low torque figures and any bolt that needs more than 150 ft/lb can be cranked on with a breaker bar after the wrench tops out.

Honestly, you'll find that the wrench spends most of its time set to the lug nut torque spec.

Go to Sears.

I have 3 craftsman torque wrenches. Good value. I'm not a big fan of the cheaper ebay stuff out there.

Not that I torque everything. I want to know I can trust what I do torque.

I'm responsible for a big list of Snap-On trque wrenches here at work. I have brought my Sears ones in from time to time to be calibrated. They seem to hold there cal well for what they are.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Good advice so far.

I have a Craftsman clicker style. I'd recommend them, but I just looked at the Sears website and the reviews are pretty mixed on the current model.

I'd go 1/2" drive and 150 ft-lbs should be plenty. There aren't many automotive situations where you'd need more.

The brand of wrench is not so important. Neither is the actual torque spec itself. The reason for using a torque wrench is to make several fasteners achieve the same tension or tightness. Any of the wrenches will work OK if you take care of them, don't drop them, release the tension on them when storing them, and simply use it exactly the same way every time. Consistency is what torque wrenches are for.

^ slightly false brand does matter. Not all torque wrenches are created equal. Even with-in the snap on brand they have varied quality of specs. The electronic ones tend to be more accurate. The click type can vary any where from 6-10° from the read value. Usually a good electronic snap on torgue wrench will read 1-3° of the read value.

On a second note though. I doubt you are planning on any heavy race builds that require precise torqueing of internal engine nuts and bolts. So don't buy a snap on. Just buy a craftsman. Or any decent electronic wrench.

The brand of wrench is not so important. Neither is the actual torque spec itself. The reason for using a torque wrench is to make several fasteners achieve the same tension or tightness. Any of the wrenches will work OK if you take care of them, don't drop them, release the tension on them when storing them, and simply use it exactly the same way every time. Consistency is what torque wrenches are for.

So the torque value doesnt matter .. let me evenly torque my lug nuts to 15ftlbs and see how my car does on the highway for a long period of time ... im just yanking your chain, lol

So the torque value doesnt matter .. let me evenly torque my lug nuts to 15ftlbs and see how my car does on the highway for a long period of time ... im just yanking your chain, lol

The numbers matter but the reason that they're there is to make sure that they are all the same. Obviously if something has a 75 ft.lb. torque spec, you can't bring them down to 20 ft.lb. and have it work as expected nor could you take them to 140 ft.lb. either. But if they are at 72 or 78 ft.lb. they will work fine as long as they are all the same. The key is consistency.

The key is also re-calibrating or testing it 1x a year to ensure you aren't under or over torquing things.

-Mike Paisan

AZP's First Private Track Event, June 19 at NJMP Thunderbolt $315 including Classroom and Mentor!

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Torque values are typically for clean, unlubricated fasteners. If the threads are oiled, or if they're seriously corroded, you will NOT get an accurate amount of torque on the fasteners. This is very common with lug nuts or lug bolts used for wheels & tires.

The comment on periodic recalibration is an excellent one....

TS

For just wheels, just go for the Pittsburgh from HF. They're not very accurate or consistent(I wouldn't use them for anything that's around the min/max) compared to higher end brands(we have a machine at work used to test/calibrate the tools). When it needs to be recalibrated, just take it back and exchange it.

Archived