LegacyGT.com

Dual Port Heads - EJ22E

• I Donated

I know this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find the thread...hell, I think I even made the thread about it.

Anyways, both of my 96 Legacys have dual exhaust ports on an EJ22. The Outback is all stock, and the GT was swapped from the 25D to the 22E.

Anyways, my understanding is the dual port heads were standard on the first generation EJ22 cars....but when things switched over to OBDII in 96, single exhaust port heads became standard.

What gives? Why do I seem to have two odd ball engines? Looking at Alldata, parts catalogs, etc.....all the 96 EJ22 exhaust part listings are for single port only?

paging johnegg - you always know this oddball shit lol

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

the 96 outback with a manual trans came stock with the ej22. i don't know if it was dual port (90 - 95) or single port (96 - 00).

for the GT it all depends on what year was swapped in. 95 auto trans engine is the easiest to swap since it came with dual port heads and the EGR both of which the GT and outbacks all have / need, in the 90s.

what does the ID tag under the hood of your outback say for engine?

this link shows the ej22 engine id # over the years for the legacy L sedans and wagons. car info should be near the top of the page.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_6/engine/engine_assembly/

and this one shows the engines used in the 96 outback manual trans cars. destination codes are greek to me , but i think it probably refers to california vs. the rest of the country.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_44/engine/engine_assembly/

"Mass production is going on at Fuji" - These dudes must have had more engines built than they knew what to do with. It's very possible that dual ports made it over to the 1996 models equipped with the EJ22E when they were all supposed to be single port by then. I guess Subaru was just trying to lower it's over-stock & "clean out it's bins."

"Mass production is going on at Fuji" - These dudes must have had more engines built than they knew what to do with. It's very possible that dual ports made it over to the 1996 models equipped with the EJ22E when they were all supposed to be single port by then. I guess Subaru was just trying to lower it's over-stock & "clean out it's bins."

this is how i ended up with a 76 impala with a numbered 4-bolt main block but only drilled for 2-bolt, as well as a 350 block with 400 heads on it. i tracked the numbers and such and found out it was made at the end of the cycle, and was told that they used pretty much what was still sitting around to get rid of it.

Archived