LegacyGT.com

Best Daily Driver Suspension Setup

bdtollef1398

I've noticed a lot of variance in what everyone recommends for the best suspension setup for a dd car. I'm leaning towards Eibach Pro springs on stock struts but at 50K miles I realize that upgrade is all too soon approaching. I already have 18 x 8.5 wheels on 235x40 rubber with a slight rubbing in the fronts - need to dial in more negative camber. What does everyone recommend for a good dd setup? I live in Bay Area and this car will not see Tahoe but I don't want to go lower than 1.5 all around. Thoughts on springs, struts, sways, etc...

Tell us about your past setups- have you had lowered modified cars before? Some think coilovers w/ 8kg springs are perfectly fine for a daily; my father in law thinks the stock suspension is perfect for daily.

If you want a little drop and nice damping, Eibachs springs and Konis would be a nice pairing- you adjust the Konis to match the springs, and everything plays nice together.

I run iON springs and Koni struts on our wagon- a low, even drop, 2 finger gap all around, slight rake, perfect spring rates for Seattle roads- it's my wife's daily driver, she loves it. It has Cusco front and rear sways too, it's nice and civil.

If you don't want a stiffer ride, but better damping, run the stock springs with Koni struts- some have had great success with that setup.

Can you tell I like Konis? :lol:

I am really looking forward to my Bilstien HD/ Spec-B Rev-C Wagon springs combo.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

+1 for the Swifts :)

Bilsteins with Swifts here. No problems, very comfortable ride.

GetErDun drives his baby around in the back seat with swifts. I've ridden to lunch in the back seat over some pretty wicked bumps and the ride is just stellar. Not an agressive drop, good driver feel and great ride. All round good stuff.

EDIT: ^ GetErDun has swifts and koni inserts

Whatever you do don't pair swifts with stock struts. WAY under dampened. Like floating on glass until you hit a pothole and hit bumpstops.

As for "best", try to get rides. There is next to zero objectivity in the world of suspension comfort and performance ratings.

Whitetiger probably has it best though. If you get Konis, then at least you can better dial in any spring set you choose.

Do a lot of research. Asking here will just scratch the surface.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I'm happy w/ my combo of Bilstein HDs w/ STI pinks in front, JDM LGT wagon springs in the rear, and a JDM rear sway bar (w/ AVO reinforcement brackets). I've had this setup for the past 50k miles or so. Didn't want to lower the rear, so I went w/ the JDM wagon springs in the back.

Tell us about your past setups- have you had lowered modified cars before? Some think coilovers w/ 8kg springs are perfectly fine for a daily; my father in law thinks the stock suspension is perfect for daily.

If you want a little drop and nice damping, Eibachs springs and Konis would be a nice pairing- you adjust the Konis to match the springs, and everything plays nice together.

I run iON springs and Koni struts on our wagon- a low, even drop, 2 finger gap all around, slight rake, perfect spring rates for Seattle roads- it's my wife's daily driver, she loves it. It has Cusco front and rear sways too, it's nice and civil.

If you don't want a stiffer ride, but better damping, run the stock springs with Koni struts- some have had great success with that setup.

This will be my first lowered car. I'm want the best of both worlds: drop and smooth ride. I'm leaning towards springs with Konis more and more

Whatever you do don't pair swifts with stock struts. WAY under dampened. Like floating on glass until you hit a pothole and hit bumpstops.

As for "best", try to get rides. There is next to zero objectivity in the world of suspension comfort and performance ratings.

Whitetiger probably has it best though. If you get Konis, then at least you can better dial in any spring set you choose.

Do a lot of research. Asking here will just scratch the surface.

Thanks Whitetiger ClimberD - you're right in that I've a lot of research to do. So far I've rolled the fenders but need to dial in some more negative camber up front to help tuck the wheels in a bit.

I went from coils to Koni and EE springs, couldn't be happier.

I think that combo beats el cheapo coils any day.

This is what we've see over the years. On my LGT I ran stock springs w/Konis and STi Pinks with Konis. The konis will allow you to dial things in. I used to drive in NYC and then go out to the road race course with my car. The Konis allowed me to have the range to adjust it.

Don't get roped into the "coils are the best" scenario. Despite Konis being pricey they carry a lifetime warranty, and are great dampers.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

This is what we've see over the years. On my LGT I ran stock springs w/Konis and STi Pinks with Konis. The konis will allow you to dial things in. I used to drive in NYC and then go out to the road race course with my car. The Konis allowed me to have the range to adjust it.

Don't get roped into the "coils are the best" scenario. Despite Konis being pricey they carry a lifetime warranty, and are great dampers.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I for one am constantly tempted to drop my KW v2 coilovers and get epic/eibach springs and Konis. Would love to do a back-to-back, but money doesn't grow on trees.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived