LegacyGT.com

What do you think of my new setup?

That black paint looks nice, what else is new?

LOL

That's some outside the box thinking. I guess you know that air filter will clear the battery holder ? Or are you planning to put a elbow towards the front of the car ? Oh I see you can just rotate that inlet tube.

Will you have to modify the under engine cover ?

Nice job!

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That's some outside the box thinking. I guess you know that air filter will clear the battery holder ? Or are you planning to put a elbow towards the front of the car ? Oh I see you can just rotate that inlet tube.

Will you have to modify the under engine cover ?

Nice job!

Thanks!

The inlet needs a tweak. It hasn't been fitted in the car yet. The wiper bottle is on the pas side on my car so there is plenty of room in the fender well for the filter. I run a custom steel under tray.

So - how is there enough room in the front of the car for all that? With the radiator / AC in how does it fit? Very tightly?

Because outback and lots of custom work.

What manifold is that? Did you hack up a 5th gen em or is that a custom jobie? :wub:

Looks like a flipped 4th gen manifold....

Custom manifold I made myself.

This is the same turbo kit I've been running for the last 4 years. I made a new intercooler and pipe. I'm also going to clean up the engine bay a bit. It was pretty DIY looking.

I'm hoping for 500ftlbs at 4000rpm and 450hp at redline at 24psi.

Previous numbers were 450ftlbs and 436hp at 24psi.

It's also emissions compliant and passes the Colorado sniffer test.

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae227/5250Performance/image.jpg1_zpsntz3ip7n.jpg

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• 2 weeks later...

Not working to make it emissions complaint.... IS compliant. And has been for the last 4 years at the 436hp mark.

Original build thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/something-you-have-never-seen-before-146680.html?t=146680

Super slowly getting it put back together. Got this whole buying a dyno thing going on...

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae227/5250Performance/2015-10-11%2017.21.46_zpsnmz2zzkd.jpg

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

is that a cat wrapped up? if so why? lol

I wrapped it cause it gets really hot and I wanted to protect everything around it. In hindsight, it makes trips to the emissions center a PIA. They always want me to cut it off so they can inspect it. It easily passes the sniffer test and I give them a copy of the invoice for the cat with its cert number on it and they pass me. It's not like I can fake the sniffer test.

The motor has somewhere between 30k and 60k miles on it. It was built in 2008ish and had a blown headgasket shortly after the low mount turbo kit.

I put Cometic Phuzion headgaskets in and used ARP 625+ head studs. I'm hoping the heads stay sealed this time.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

What advantages does this setup up have over the stock configuration?

Jump in to correct anything I'm wrong about.

Probably efficiency. Shorter exhaust paths to the turbo inlet, so likely faster spool (rather than out through manifold, through crosspipe, merging with other bank, then up pipe). Short charge pipe routing, even with a FMIC. More direct downpipe routing (with the option to just use a 90 degree bend as a hater pipe)?

5th gen LGT's went to a setup similar to this I think.

Disadvantages:

No rumble, so people hearing you do pulls off in the distance won't immediately know it's a subaru. Turbo is more vulnerable to damage, although anything that's likely to damage the turbo would also probably smoke the oil pan anyways.

• 1 month later...

Archived