LegacyGT.com

AP or Exaust?

I have had my 05 lgt for about a year now and am ready for a little more. The car has a little over 85,000 on it. I spoke with a local Subaru guy in Vt and he was going to get me a sti uppipe, and build me catless downpipe and a straight shot to the y leaving the stock mufflers. I want to do it but at the same time i know that i can get more power out of an AP, and i can only afford one or the other right now. Whichever i don't do i will most likely do next summer. Any suggestions on what i should do first?

I originally wanted to do the ap but am worried that it might not be good for the car. Is this true?

first off search a lil bit more before you ask a ? that has been answered before... not to be rude just saying. either way get the up for sure, elimiate the precat, then I say get the dp and then a open source tune. Easy way to get to stg 2 and free up about 50 hp. Again search more, and more powar to come enjoy

The AccessPort, like other ECU 'tuning' options (search the forum), are pretty much required to ensure those mechanical mods are effective. Def do some research on these pages before making a decision.

I went Stage 2 mechanical (including a TMIC) with an AP and an e-tune on my 05 5EAT with 98k miles and it's still running great at almost 121k...

If your good with a lap top you can get the cables and go open source tune.

Cobb AP is very easy to use and has nice features. I went with Cobb because I have no idea what I'm doing with tuning. I use http://www.tuningalliance.com for my tuning needs. He's local to me.

My 05 has been on AP since Dec 04 when it first came out for these cars.

You'll also want to remove the catted up pipe and get the resistor for the missing EGT probe if you don't get AP.

Also remove the banjo filter on the back of the passenger side head.

You can also put a smaller boost pill in the hose on the turbo, that will give you more psi. But you will need to get the car tuned doing that.

BTW IMO Cobb AP or a open source tune from a trusted source is the best thing you can do for these cars.

I have a buddy that owns a machine shop. He does a lot of work for the car dealers. He see's Subaru's EJ255 a lot. Most of them have burnt valves. My Tuner has told me, he and others have found a timing flaw in the OEM map. When I told the shop owner that, he said, oh now it makes sense.

I hope you check the oil level a couple a times a week and see how much oil it drinks. You should be topping it off as needed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

OP, first off, welcome to legacygt.com. Secondly, please do NOT install a catless downpipe on an un-tuned ej255. The 2.5l subaru engines use the factory cat as part of the boost control system, much like the boost control solenoid/wastegate/bypass valve/etc. Installing a cat less downpipe can lead to boost creep, and has this wonderful little issue with our ECU's during the transition between open and closed loop fueling.

Basically, you can, and most likely will lean.

Lean=bad juju.

My personal recommendation would be to purchase all necessary parts, and have money set aside for a tune, either via an AP, or an opensource tune, install said parts, and tune it immediately.

I say go with an AP for now and flash a stage 1 tune on there. That way you'll have a slight gain in power to hold you over until next summer. Then after doing the work to the up/down pipes, you'll be set to go with a stage 2 tune right away.

Thank you very much project and slimjoe, that is exactly the answer i was looking for. This forum is awesome! Meow does anyone know how stock cans sound with a full catless exaust? Maybe some sound clips... the only reason i was going to do that is because im cheap. if the answer is "dont be cheap and buy a nice catback" than so be it.

A buddy of mine has a full catless running into stock cans and its still very quiet. My WRX has a catless DP and with stock cans is also very quiet. If you are looking for sound look elsewhere.

+1 on getting a tune if you change your exhaust.

Infamous tunes take out the timing flaw in the stock tune . He is the way to go for a reasonable and safe tune.

My 05 Wagon is at stage 2 catless with stock exhaust from the DP back. It's fairly quiet, if you want more sound. Put a washer or two between the Y pipe and muffler flanges. Sounds louder.

I have 2 washers betweeen mine.

You can also contact Mike at http://www.tuningalliance.com he's more local to you and tunes my car. He can email you maps.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived