LegacyGT.com

Perrin inlet install issue! Please help

During installation of the Perrin inlet we noticed that the hose from the BOV to the inlet is about 1.5 inches off. How the hell do you attach that thing? Because there is a wire grouping and vacuum hose in the way. I really need to know what to do because as of right not I have no car. Fredbeanparts states on there site its for 2005-2009. I don't think that's entirely true after attempted install.

Believe that the 2007+ OEM versions are different (with different # and location of vacuum and BPV connections) so perhaps the Perrin one is based on the newer version and that's the source of the issue.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I contacted Perrin stated the inlet for the 08+ WRX is the same for 2005-2009 Legacy GT. Perrin redesigned the inlet for the Legacy which is now the same one for the 08+ WRX. However from what I've researched (and what you mentioned) later model Legacys (07-09) have different BPV hose locations due to an air compressor IIRC. Because the factroy BPV hose on my 05 won't reach the BPV spigot on the Perrin inlet and there is some other hoses, wires, bracket in the way. It's been a nightmare and I don't have a car until I figure how to make it work or find a suitable replacemnt. The factroy inlet was garbage and really not keen on using something that falls about at the turbo.

I may take photos and do thorough walk-through if I get this too work. Because Perrin does not provide instructions for the Legacy.

My hands hurt.

Edited by 2.5GT_dude

I contacted Perrin stated the inlet for the 08+ WRX is the same for 2005-2009 Legacy GT. Perrin redesigned the inlet for the Legacy which is now the same one for the 08+ WRX. However from what I've researched (and what you mentioned) later model Legacys (07-09) have different BPV hose locations due to an air compressor IIRC. Because the factroy BPV hose on my 05 won't reach the BPV spigot on the Perrin inlet and there is some other hoses, wires, bracket in the way. It's been a nightmare and I don't have a car until I figure how to make it work or find a suitable replacemnt. The factroy inlet was garbage and really not keen on using something that falls about at the turbo.

I may take photos and do thorough walk-through if I get this too work. Because Perrin does not provide instructions for the Legacy.

My hands hurt.

The start-up air pump (sits next to the oil filler neck) on 07+ (so the 05-06 catted UP could be de-catted) is what you're referring to and why the Perrin doesn't work. I found this out the hard way when I bought an OEM Turbo Inlet replacement from an 07+ LGT and had the same issues that you're describing. Not sure if there's an aftermarket one that will fit without modding, so you may need to go back to an OEM one.

If possible, run to your local parts store and have them cut you a length of the proper size hose, just make sure it's a reinforced type. It won't be a permanent fix, but it will get you by until you can order a proper aftermarket hose. (silicone or otherwise)

If possible, run to your local parts store and have them cut you a length of the proper size hose, just make sure it's a reinforced type. It won't be a permanent fix, but it will get you by until you can order a proper aftermarket hose. (silicone or otherwise)

From what we've seen at here Perrin fitment is hit or miss. Sometimes they work fine but most of the time they need to be "massaged" in. If you can find a longer metal pipe to extend the re-circ valve connection. Again not the best but it will work. We recently did an AVO inlet and while it fit better there are still issues. Overall no after market inlet fits like they say it does. I've done APS, AVO, Perrin, Samco, Agency Power, and a few cheapos. They all have their quirks.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

And if you need to drive your car to the shop in order to pick up any of these above parts you should be able to cap the inlet and let the BOV vent to atmosphere temporarily while you drive there.
Slammed more than your girlfriend.

The last Perrin inlet I put in (ver. 2) on a 20g e-bay turbo, went into an 05 LGT wagon. It fit amazingly well. Huge improvement over the previous design. I cannot comment on 07+ fitment.

However, I still recomend an OE inlet.

And if you need to drive your car to the shop in order to pick up any of these above parts you should be able to cap the inlet and let the BOV vent to atmosphere temporarily while you drive there.

Like he said, go get a longer hose, clamps and a short pipe for a coupling.

Your not going for the most hp possible.

Keep the common things stock where possible and upgrade the tmic, up/dp, boost pill and tune.

You relly don't need to spend money on this type of stuff.

I've got 280whp/300ftlbs with just those mods and a vf52.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The issue is my factory was rotted away, this was an easy replacement. I'm so pissed that it's listed for all models and its not designed to early ones clearly. For the life of me I can not find the factory for my car and the dealership tells me all they have that works is for the 07+. Which does not work. So I am kind of at a loss.

Have you tried re routing any of the lines/wiring? While they might fit a certain way, you are putting in something Subaru never intended to be there. You could un bolt the re-circ valve hose from the manifold and see if that gives you the little bit of extra room. Just saying there are always options. Not all of them are easy.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

^What Jake said. There's a small (I believe 8mm) bolt just above the throttle body that hold the BPV return hose in place against the mani. If you take it off, and unclamp the hose from the BPV itself, you should have some wiggle room to try to make it fit.

I've been having some fitment issues with my Gimmick inlet, so if you're having hassle with the Perrin one, I wouldn't go for anything other than an OEM one if you go another route. I had to buy a new hose for the PCV return and T the boost control and evap return hoses together to make it all fit.

It's cool; I'm with the band

well make sure that the diameter of the hose that fits onto the turbo is the right size because ive got the same perrin inlet tube and it did not fit...i had to go buy a thick radiator hose and cut it to fit onto the turbo then with that on there the inlet tube fit.

I've been having some fitment issues with my Gimmick inlet,

Hmm, the name of the manufacturer should give you insight into the quality of the products... ;)

-mike

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

The Perrin one?

Yes

well make sure that the diameter of the hose that fits onto the turbo is the right size because ive got the same perrin inlet tube and it did not fit...i had to go buy a thick radiator hose and cut it to fit onto the turbo then with that on there the inlet tube fit.

It is. Only issue was the BPV return hose. If you look at this thread below you'll see the difference with the 05-06 and the 07-09 BPV inlets and return hose spigots.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turbo-inlet-problem-171058.html?t=171058&highlight=inlet+turbo

Edited by 2.5GT_dude

• 3 years later...

I know this thread is old, but since I'm dealing with the same thing.

Perrin inlet is designed for '08+ WRX.

BPV hose for '08+ WRX is 14465AA100.

The LGT hose is 14465AA070.

I'm betting the '08+ WRX hose works beautifully.

Sort of... None of it fits really well together. Even the V2 Perrin (for the 08+ WRX) is a stretch.