LegacyGT.com

Howitzer shell casings for exhaust tips?

I'm just wondering if this is a good idea or bad idea here. I have a couple buddies wanting me to take a couple howitzer casings I have and convert them to exhaust tips. I'm not quite sure I even want to attempt this or if its a good idea. However I was recently rear ended, so I do need to fix my exhaust soon so I figured I'd explore the option on these forums.

Anyways here's some of my reservations:

For one it's brass, and I can't find anyone that has done something like this online. Surely some gun-ho Marine would of already done this I would think, unless there was a good reason.

Also, besides the weight, or trimming it down, I'm thinking the colors would be a bit much - or perhaps after enough heat it will just be black? idk how this would look or sound. I'm guessing lots of polishing when cleaning the car will be needed.

Some suggestions are to just trim the piece I need, and just run brass tips. One other suggestion is trim it down, but keep the base with the primer displayed in the rear. And actually have the pipes dump straight down before the base.

Does anyone have some ideas on this? Or any reason why brass is a bad idea for tips? Any input is appreciated.

My current plan was just to shine them up and put some cattails in it, for decorations inside the house.

Current exhaust: Agency Power Catback polished tips & ERZ Downpipe

IMG_20150725_220314.thumb.jpg.b3ae789e227ad5bef5d8800df76e741f.jpg

IMG_20150725_220255.thumb.jpg.baff71d8c3cf8876ab4a1f3e093ea2f8.jpg

IMG_20150725_214201.thumb.jpg.bc274ac4a11e33ae4c5cc19138b98e82.jpg

IMG_20150725_220757.thumb.jpg.7af29bf181f7ce8d4707dcabc197109c.jpg

parklot.thumb.jpg.e70f95228b6899ad16a37c6b15c17a69.jpg

Ya so that's one negative thing haha. I have heard of people getting their catalytic converter stolen before. I really only drive her on the weekends and is always garaged kept, so hopefully I never have to deal with that.

I think it's a cool and unique idea but in the end i don't think it will matter. No one will really know what it is, it will likely turn black or that brownish that all brass rounds turn when been out in the elements for ever and you usually just pass or kick into the ground more when police calling. So you and a few friends will know what it is but that is it. I think the effort and extra cost you will put into it for the Howlitzer shells won't be worth it. Maybe in Fayetteville or Jacksonville but thats it.

Maybe if you had 25mm, 20mm, .50 cal, or maybe even 7.62mm rounds with projectile or faux projectile and wrapped them around the exhaust tips. Remove the powder and primer of course.

Oh and I have been a 0331 (Machinegunner) for the past 7 years.

Archived