LegacyGT.com

Rebuilding Bilstiens?

dbrunone

So I read somewhere awhile ago (don't remember where) that my stock 07 Spec.B Bilstiens need to be rebuilt/replaced every 50k miles. That seems sort of excessive to me. I have 66k on the car now, and I haven't touched them. Is this actually true? Also, are the Bilstien HD's on TireRack an OEM replacement? Thanks for any help

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If your shocks are fine dont touch em. I did alot of research on this and bilstien US Service sucks a whole lot of coconuts. a set of bilstien HDs and the cost of rebuilding are actually comparable. Im going HD soon. my shocks are done. I LOVE JERSEY ROADS!

If your shocks are fine dont touch em. I did alot of research on this and bilstien US Service sucks a whole lot of coconuts. a set of bilstien HDs and the cost of rebuilding are actually comparable. Im going HD soon. my shocks are done. I LOVE JERSEY ROADS!

Are the HD's the same as the OEM ones though? How many miles on yours before youre replacing them?

No. They are different.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The biggest benefit of rebuilding is getting the shocks matched to your springs. Give the spring rates to Bilstein (measured if possible, spec if not) and they'll rebuild your set much better than "close enough."

There are 6 JDM versions of Bilsteins, one USDM, and HD, and they're all different.

Large bumps will get your car floaty. Small bumps and sharp cracks will feel more harsh. In the front end you may start to hear clunking over bumps and the steering will follow ruts more (you'll feel like you're fighting to stay straight.)

You should not have to rebuild struts every 50k. That's a streth even for coilovers. I pulled my oem bilsteins at 60k only because I broke 1 during install of springs. I replaced them with HDs because it was cheaper.
lol

You should not have to rebuild struts every 50k. That's a streth even for coilovers.

This.

You should easily get 100k out of a set of struts. Bilstein doesn't make shitty parts, so you can expect them to last quite a while.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/search-service/service.html

BILSTEIN SERVICES - Official Bilstein Shock Absorber Shop Services

Revalve or Complete Rebuild (utilizing existing or recommended valvings)

Standard shock (mono-tube Non-adjustable)

$65.00 each

Struts (mono-tube Non-adjustable)

$75.00 each

Looks like $280 base price for typical rebuild? I guess if you've damaged bits then the price will add up, doesn't include shipping of course...

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/search-service/service.html

BILSTEIN SERVICES - Official Bilstein Shock Absorber Shop Services

Revalve or Complete Rebuild (utilizing existing or recommended valvings)

Standard shock (mono-tube Non-adjustable)

$65.00 each

Struts (mono-tube Non-adjustable)

$75.00 each

Looks like $280 base price for typical rebuild? I guess if you've damaged bits then the price will add up, doesn't include shipping of course...

Plus a new rod, Plus new bushings, plus shop labor, plus dino evaluation, plus unwanted rush service (heard from other forums)

NOTE: All revalved shocks and struts are dynamometer performance checked. Additional parts and services that are not included in the normal scope of revalving will incur an additional charge (examples include shock rods, tubes and/or end loops and machine work). Development fees apply if it is necessary to meet specific valving targets. Dyno sheets are available upon written request.

Replace piston rod (Appropriate rebuild fee from above must be added)

Exact same fitment between the two. Only difference is HDs are valved slightly more agressive.

It's a bolt on for you.

Also, the HDs have a map of the Nurbergring printed right on them!

Thanks, that's good to know. Because LGT struts won't clear my current rim/tire combo.

What? Do you know what a dynomometer is?

the damper, strut , shock , piece of rubber , whatever it is is measured on a machine that records the action or resistance to movement . it happanes from slow speed to high , takes about a minute to do & you press print & get a paper w/ a graph on it , then you check spring/wheel rate vs carried load & determine which way to go w/ valving .

the damper, strut , shock , piece of rubber , whatever it is is measured on a machine that records the action or resistance to movement . it happanes from slow speed to high , takes about a minute to do & you press print & get a paper w/ a graph on it , then you check spring/wheel rate vs carried load & determine which way to go w/ valving .

OK, I was trying to envision a car on a dyno that had rollers with bumps on them ... :lol:

lol

that is a chassis dyno

A dynomometer measures torque from a rotating machine whether its an electric motor, an engine, or from the wheels of a car. It is not a tool that can measure resistance of dampers in any of its forms.

lol

Archived