LegacyGT.com

Brake Fluid Overflow - Cleanup? Damage?

While changing brake pads/rotors over the weekend, when I compressed the caliper piston to put the pads in, brake fluid from the reservoir overflowed. Although it doesn't appear to have 'exploded' (don't think it got on paint), it did get on the parts below the reservoir (as well as the street).

Does anyone have any advice on how to clean it up properly (both off the car and the street)? Also looking to see what/if anything may have potentially been damaged by this event?

I'll assume the cause was brake pads wearing down, using more fluid, then when in for service the techs topping off the fluid. When expanding calipers, less fluid was required in system, therefore the overflow. Given this, is there a procedure or level the fluid should be adjusted to prior to starting this job (i'll assume MIN), to prevent this from occurring in the future?

Thanks All!

I would use some brake kleen and clean as much of it off the vehicle as you can.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I'll assume the cause was brake pads wearing down, using more fluid, then when in for service the techs topping off the fluid. When expanding calipers, less fluid was required in system, therefore the overflow. Given this, is there a procedure or level the fluid should be adjusted to prior to starting this job (i'll assume MIN), to prevent this from occurring in the future?

Thanks All!

Bingo, and though I dont think it's "procedure" so to speak, I've always siphoned a bit of fluid out if I was replacing pads on a car that were severly worn. Plus its easier to replace the fluid at the same time if you first suck a bit out of the master cylinder.

Maybe it's cause I've only ever done one end of the vehicle at a time, but never even had this as a concern....just put the new brake pads on with a loosened reservoir cap.

Of course, I compress my piston in all the wrong ways too....

Archived