LegacyGT.com

CB Radio in a Legacy?

So I'm thinking about getting a CB radio to use in my Legacy and my other car and am wondering if anyone here has used them in their Legacies. I take some pretty long road trips from time to time and it would be nice to have a basic CB. Where would the unit would fit best and do the magnetic antennas damage the paint at all? Any insights would be appreciated.

They do still make CB's. My dad was big into Amature radio when he was alive, and had made it all the way to an Extra class license with the coveted callsign WX1R (Coveted since its only 4 characters). He had a magmount antenna on his car for his radio, and it did mess up the paint actually. I'd say try and put something in between the mag mount and the paint if possible. They don't mess up the paint from being on the car, but they do mess up the paint when you take them off and put them on, as the magnets are so powerful that once they get within an inch or so of the metal they suck themselves down with great force.

Can't comment on were to put it, but when my dad had his HAM radio set installed in his car he had a hole drilled in the firewall with a rubber bushing put in that routed the radio straight to the battery with an in-line fuse. I'm sure that the common CB radio would be able to plug right into the cigarette outlet, though. My dad's radio had a bit too much power for that though.

I used Cobra 75WXST (the whole radio is in the mic) with Little Wil antenna (magnetic base). The combo wasn't too great, maybe I didn't install it right, but was useful on a couple of occasions when truckers warned about bears during our cross country trip.

I have a general class ham radio license, but I'm not active anymore.

Back on topic....

They make a mount for an antenna that slides onto the lip of the trunk near the rear window and then tightens down from underneath. It's usually called a "trunk lip mount antenna".

Funny and true story. On my '03 WRX, I borrowed at CB to use when I was going on a road trip. Wired it to the 12V power plug, got a mag mount antenna and was stylin'.

Fired it up, used a SWR meter to tune the antenna, did a radio check and everything was working fine.

Started the car to go for a run, keyed the mike (at idle) to try to reach anyone for a radio check, car dies, WTF? Started again, keyed the mike to xmit, car died again.

Recheck everything...car runs fine, CB works fine, except when idling and xmiting, car dies.

Do a test run on the road, everything runs fine and the CB works great while driving. We guess that the current draw of the xmitting CB is too much for the puny alternator at the low idle speed.

Don't know how it will work on the LGT...not too many people on the CB anymore anyway, except for the hardcore camel smokin', raspy throated old ladies with nuthin' else to do.

i rock a Cobra CB radio and antenna when im on the highway

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/542/img6566k.jpg

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/1062/img6559.jpg

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/7139/img7835n.jpg

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7705/img7853i.jpg

my whole set-up cost about $50 and has been extremely useful on the highway. the antenna hasnt left any marks on my roof (unlike the beacon i got for when i was working at the airport) and has withstood a short 100mph burst on the interstate without moving at all. i can say that the CB has saved my ass a couple times helping me avoid getting stuck in traffic jams and getting around accidents. i wired mine onto the cigarette lighter and have had no problems :)

I used Cobra 75WXST (the whole radio is in the mic) with Little Wil antenna (magnetic base).

I have the same unit. Picked it up from Amazon. It depends on your expectations, but its probably the best compromise- small and not expensive. Plus you get the NOAA weather broadcasts also. The mic unit will fit in the cubby between the front seats or in my case, on the floor near the driver's seat.

Archived