LegacyGT.com

What'd you do to your FIRST Gen. Subaru today?

whats a perfect power 6? Man I can't get rid of the rats in my shed. I put two plates of poison and its gone the next day. Dog brings a dead rat up to the porch a week later. So I put another plate of poison and sure enough the next day its all gone. If fact the rat trades poison for trash, he leaves a subaru relay (i assume it came from my parts box) in the dish and takes all the poison, sometimes he leaves a piece of dog poo, but theres always something left in the dish. So apparently I have a rat immune to poison who thinks a subaru relay and a dog turd is a fair trade for some rat poison.I gone thru two boxes of this poison and he doesn't fall for the typical cheese on a rat trap. I'm gonna have to try something else. I'm going on a road trip as soon as my car is done, road worthy. Ill probably head up to the oregon/ashland area to see some friends and family.

Bought a new door lock for the right hand front. After having previously been rebuilt twice by a lock smith and had no lasting effect.

the old girl has been off of the road for over 9 months now...

thinking of cleaning her up and flogging her up to get a GT86 GT (base model over here) she needs a few things though....

1) Engine Rebuild

2) Front Input Shaft Seal

3) bit of Panel trickery.... and replace the bar.

Met a 380's rear end a few weeks before she was due to come off the road. :(

so that increased costs etc...

Input shaft seal I'll do myself along with the Engine Rebuild (barring the Machining and port polishing on the heads) still trying to find a good place for that In Adelaide.

Edited by AfterBurner_1

If fact the rat trades poison for trash, he leaves a subaru relay (i assume it came from my parts box) in the dish and takes all the poison, sometimes he leaves a piece of dog poo, but theres always something left in the dish. So apparently I have a rat immune to poison who thinks a subaru relay and a dog turd is a fair trade for some rat poison.

:lol:! This rat sounds like a genius. Maybe if you leave him some plutonium, he'll trade you for some Subaru parts you need, that don't already belong to you!:lol:

This last week I changed the air filter and assisted my old man with changing the rear brakes, which were squeaking like crazy. Turned out the previous owner had just put on some used break pads, they were for the front, not rear, and in the process he or she had broken the break caliper clip on one side, so it was flopping all over the place. The other side, the pad was to the metal. God only knows how long it was this way! I think my baby was abused :confused: Gonna try to bring her back to former glory, but with my bank account, it's gonna be one little thing at a time. Next on deck: Shifter assembly. Flops around like a sock in a dryer....:lol:

BTW, the manual diagram for the shift linkage is pretty lame. Anyone know where I can find better shots of one going in? I looked in the posts, didn't find much online other than pics of other shifters, that may not have even been for my make/model.

798667630_SubaruLegacy001.thumb.JPG.9906ae61791a1a65fdf1c38945a59f5e.JPG

1994-legacy-mt-shift-linkage.gif.35ca9bf934fa85db40f81606122fe122.gif

Another Arizonian! I'm in Prescott, enjoying less than 100* temps. You ever get on the local SWIC chapter of NASIOC? They do a cruise every year that goes up white spar road through to jerome and sedona. Its a great road, especially near Jerome with the banked corners and fresh asphault.

Maybe these pics will help, They're outta the Haynes repair manual. I have a 93 L FWD parts car(minus the engine) that had pretty decent calipers/pads and rotors if your interested. It had 225,000 miles but the brakes looked like they were recently gone through. I'd pull em off for 60$ plus shipping. Or, if your in the prescott area come by and pick them up.

P7010087.JPG.b39fdb37bfc3ef4a847b856338397c31.JPG

P7010089.JPG.7408ca66a7db3467555031792a5a57f9.JPG

Edited by USLiberty

The brakes are replaced already (:) Thanks for offer of parts)... it'll be some time before we are road-worthy to go that far north, but hopefully in the Fall (my favorite time up in Prescott)! I appreciate the blow-out diagram of the shift assembly, we don't have a Haynes manual yet, just the Chilton's. Scarily enough, my car is well over 225,000 (90K on a re-built engine, according to the seller), but the engine is strong as can be. Immediate problem is now shift linkage and possibly an exhaust issue we haven't pinned down...could be baffles, or something in catalytic converter. Hoping to tackle one priority after another, cosmetics last. Could take time, we live off a teacher's income!:redface:

Well the center baffle is easy enough to

remove if you dont have emissions testing.

As for the shift linkage, what's wrong with it?

Is it just loose? There are a few things you can

do. You can try getting an upgraded stay rod

bushing. I believe that's the name for them. It's

piece #12 on the second diagram. Also, there is

a spring down on the bottom of the first diagram

that is like $1.50 from Subaru that'll tighten it up.

Piece 14 on the first is what I've heard usually goes

bad. It's the little bushings inside of there that tend

to wear out completely. I changed out that on the

2.5RS as it's an entire unit, upgraded the bushings

(#5) down at the bottom...big freakin pain, the

bushings (also number 5 on the shifter itself) and

the spring and it seemed to tighten up my system

a lot. Never tried that piece #12 from Kartboy but

I bought it for my Legacy so we'll see if it works

when I get around to changing out the shifter parts.

Yeah, I will have to do emissions in about 9 months. When I bought the car, the tags were still good, and the owner lived in a county that didn't require emissions (Pinal)...so I want to repair the exhaust system if it needs. The car actually sounds alot like a Volkswagon when it starts, and when I accelerate. During idle, it is so quiet, I wonder if it is still running! I heard that Subes and Volkswagon share some commonalities, but I doubt that it should sound like this, even with dual exhaust pipes. As to the shifter, yeah, we figure it is the bushings. Bitch to put in, eh? Good to know the parts won't cost an arm and leg though. Thanks for the info, we will use it!

Yours has dual exhaust?

And yeah, some of the bushings are

pretty cheap. I believe you could get

most of the bushings done under $100

and it should, should feel like a new

shifter again. Maybe not 5th, but the

ones that are affected by it.

• 2 weeks later...

The last week I've spent wiring the fans up, turns out the fanshroud is larger on the automatic fwd than the turbo. Also swapped the steering wheel and lock cylinders(what a pita!) Today I emptied the tranny oil and engine oil. I use scottys tranny cocktail, this is my second change on it (7000miles). I also changed motor oil from mobile 1 synthetic to castrol titanium synthetic. I saw a few dyno results of the castrol out performing mobile1. Either way its in. Also bled the brakes, the brake reservoir was filthy, probably never changed the fluid. I flushed it and bled it with a single person handpump vacuum. I used a whole bottle of brake fluid doing so and ill have to bleed the clutch reservoir tomorrow. Pulled the ignition coils fuse and Went to try and crank it over and get oil pressure but got nothing. the starter ecu interlock wiring was wrong. I looked at the starting diagram in my haynes repair manual and the issue looks simple to fix. Also set the ride height to about 6-1/5" to bottom of arm mounts in front and about 8" to the rear trailing arm mounts. Result is a nice stance that isn't as low a my last setup but still slightly aggressive.

I also wired up the hks evc2 boost controller, the 3 pressure/egt gauges under my radio and the aem uego superwideband o2. I turned on ignition with everything working tested the radio which sounds amazing with infinitys. Also tested the link plus ecm by checking throttle tps reading, engine temp, o2 signal, and switched on the fans all through the handgeld tuner. Ill have to bypass the starter issue and make a video of me firing this BA off. I start thinking of all the parts and money I got into it and I could have bought an sti. But then id be like every other geek with some money. This car is turning out much better than I thought amd I haven't even addressed the rear taillight damage.

Edited by USLiberty

Today I wired up my own starter interlock relay that uses the clutch as a safety swith. Worked great first time. I hate dealing with hidden relays and factory wiring. I guess that's why I chose the wire in standalone engine management. So I took the coil packs and plugs out and cranked the motor for a for 30 seconds at a time. Not getting any oil pressure on my gauge worried me. Check a few things and I couldn't find anything wrong. Its a new oilpump, water pump, idler bearings timing b so I guess it needs ti be spinning much faster for oil to reach the factory oil sensor. So I installed tye plugs and attempted to turn it over. No go, sounded like the fuel pump was weird. Just at dawn I remembered I drained all the fuel before I swapped fuel tanks. So hopefully that is it and it will will fire when I gt some gas in it.

so i know its not doing anything but im buying a gt35r with a rotated down pipe and 25D heads for the legacy and later going to buy a ej257 block from subaru lol,

so hopefully someone can help will i have to redo the top mount cause of the 35r and down pipe or should i be okay?

Uhh I guess, rotated turbo with top mount? I'm not too keen on heat soak and the reason to get a rotated turbo is to shorten the piping length of a fmic. Most ppl with that size turbo usually do fmic or a meth kit to keep inlet temps down. A gt35 is a pretty BA snail and spool up probably wont be an issue even with a fmic. If your gonna drop that much cash on a turbo why not use a fmic and rotate the I intake also? That would be ideal. After a hard run My fmic intercooler would be warm on one side and really cold on the other side. I coukdnt believe how cold it actually was. Actually frosty even on a warm arizona day.

Today I got my beast fired up! Wasn't the gas though, my timng was off 90° the ej20g is easy to screw up since there's 2 marks on the crank. It amazes me how many times ive one the timing belt on it yet i still f'ed it up.lol must be the short term memory loss affected by the Rx mj. Ive probably taken the timing belt on/off at least 20 times and 15 of those times were redos. Took about 2 hours to retime it even though i was quite medicated but it instantly fired up. So happy, it sounds extra burly with the ported exhaust. If I stuck a gt35/injectors on this it would absolutely rip. I might just do it too, but I've been getting close to 300 hp out of the factory turbo, I thinks its a vf11 but with fine tuning I've been getting 18psi at <2000 ft elevation. Gotta get the seats in, and button everything up then ill he ready to shakedown. Ill be taking A roadtrip from az to oregon t see some family and friends in the clamath falls/ashland area. Going to take the beautiful pch before it. Completely falls apart.

Edited by USLiberty

Damned throw-out bearing pulled out of the clutch when I started to bleed it. Just my luck, and it means pulling the motor and pulling off the clutch. >=-/. Anyways by the end of the day I had the motor ready to be pulled. Anyone know why it would pull off? I've done this before and forgot what the solution was.