LegacyGT.com

Using a 2006 remote keyless fob on a 2005?

As some of you are aware, the unlock button is quite sensitive on the 2005 keyless fobs and it is really easy to unlock your car with the keys in your pocket. I noticed they redesigned the unlock button on the 2006 keyless fobs. Will a 2006 keyless fob work on a 2005? Any tried it? Does the redesign lessen the accidental unlocks that are experienced with the 2005 version?

-S

As some of you are aware, the unlock button is quite sensitive on the 2005 keyless fobs and it is really easy to unlock your car with the keys in your pocket. I noticed they redesigned the unlock button on the 2006 keyless fobs. Will a 2006 keyless fob work on a 2005? Any tried it? Does the redesign lessen the accidental unlocks that are experienced with the 2005 version?

-S

You're kidding right. I thought senior members knew about the search function?:)

this is something you'd have to talk to the dealer about -- you'd need to order the new remote and have it programmed to work with your car.

Last year didnt the dealer release a TSB on the keyfob? or at least a few dealerships were replacing the springs in the fob to make it require a little more effort to push. I'll see if i can dig up the old thread that discussed that.

You're kidding right. I thought senior members knew about the search function?:)

I did see the "sensitive remote" thread, but I didn't see any posts about using a 2006 fob. That is the reason for the post. Err....it would have helped to search for "06" and not "2006". My bad! DOH!

I rented a 2006 outback in CO a week ago and the redesigned fob is really nice. No accidental unlocks in the 2 weeks I had it. That is the main reason for the post specific to the 2006 fobs.

-S

It works. I lost an original key/fob, and the dealer supplied a 2006 style fob as a replacement. It's much better, I can actually bend over and tie my shoe in the office without opening my trunk.

Good luck trying to get the dealer to replace your fobs under warranty though :lol:

HTH

Steve

If you specifically complain about the '05 remotes being too sensative they are supposed to replace them, and the '05 remote part number has been superceded by the '06 number.

I've had the remotes for both of my Legacy's replaced under warranty for being to sensative...

I complained about my remote and was quoted $120 for 2 new remotes + reprogramming.

Not sure if it was because the service writer was new or not. She said she was going to talk to the Subaru Rep next time he was in. Haven't heard back in a few weeks.

man, i havent used my key fob almost 2yrs since i had my aftermarket system installed.

and even then, i guess i was one of the lucky few who didn't suffer from the sensitive keyfob.

that'd be nice if they switched to the on the key fob, like the JDM ones. maybe somewhere down the road they will?

I complained about my remote and was quoted $120 for 2 new remotes + reprogramming.

Not sure if it was because the service writer was new or not. She said she was going to talk to the Subaru Rep next time he was in. Haven't heard back in a few weeks.

you don't need reprogramming...just swap internals. ;)

Archived