LegacyGT.com

Rear noise below 10 degrees F.

Anyone run into this? 2012 model: When the temp is 10 degrees or colder there is a noise from the rear window area of the vehicle that sounds like the clink of an icicle breaking (only louder). It continues for the entire drive while the vehicle is in motion, last night for about 20 minutes, increases in frequency with bumpier roads. While my wife drove I went into the back seat to try and locate the source. You can sense an associated "percussion" (for lack of a better term) from the glass if you put your fingertips on the rear window. Thinking it might be related to the window seal I pushed on the glass in each corner but the noise did not change while we drove. This morning, with warmer temps, no noise. Any thoughts or similar experience/fixes appreciated. Thanks.

Had a similar experience over the weekend. I took someone to the airport and the entire way there i heard a cracking type sound. When i got to the airport and got my passengers luggage out of the trunk, i noticed the pockets in the frame had loose ice in them. I removed the loose ice and did not hear the sound on my way home.

Anyone run into this? 2012 model: When the temp is 10 degrees or colder there is a noise from the rear window area of the vehicle that sounds like the clink of an icicle breaking (only louder). It continues for the entire drive while the vehicle is in motion, last night for about 20 minutes, increases in frequency with bumpier roads. While my wife drove I went into the back seat to try and locate the source. You can sense an associated "percussion" (for lack of a better term) from the glass if you put your fingertips on the rear window. Thinking it might be related to the window seal I pushed on the glass in each corner but the noise did not change while we drove. This morning, with warmer temps, no noise. Any thoughts or similar experience/fixes appreciated. Thanks.

This is exactly what mines does as well on both the 2010 I had and the 2012 I have now. I have also tried everything you have. Next time this happens I am going to take it to a glass shop to see if they can figure it out. Please let us know if you find a solution first.

Not sure if this is what some of you are experiencing ...

There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin #12-147-13) for:

"Pop Sound from Right Rear Wheel Apron Area"

Application: 2010-2013MY Legacy and Outback

The purpose of this bulletin is to provide a repair procedure to address a customer concern of a “pop” type sound coming from the right rear wheel apron area. The sound may occur over bumps when a twisting motion is introduced into the vehicle chassis at low speeds. After verifying the customer’s concern and performing the procedure, be sure to road test the car again to confirm the sound has been eliminated.

COUNTERMEASURE IN PRODUCTION

A countermeasure was made in production to eliminate the sound starting with VINs: Legacy D*038088, Outback D*292979.

(The .pdf is 20 pages and 2.3 MB which exceeds the forum limit for download attachment)

Not sure if this is what some of you are experiencing ...

There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin #12-147-13) for:

"Pop Sound from Right Rear Wheel Apron Area"

Application: 2010-2013MY Legacy and Outback

The purpose of this bulletin is to provide a repair procedure to address a customer concern of a “pop” type sound coming from the right rear wheel apron area. The sound may occur over bumps when a twisting motion is introduced into the vehicle chassis at low speeds. After verifying the customer’s concern and performing the procedure, be sure to road test the car again to confirm the sound has been eliminated.

COUNTERMEASURE IN PRODUCTION

A countermeasure was made in production to eliminate the sound starting with VINs: Legacy D*038088, Outback D*292979.

(The .pdf is 20 pages and 2.3 MB which exceeds the forum limit for download attachment)

Yeah, so what is the pop? It sounds like the rear window is popping. What do they do to fix it?

Here's another thread about this issue.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rear-thumping-noise-208219.html?p=4443947#post4443947

After the inner wheel liner is removed from the right rear wheel well, there is a section of the interior fender well area (in front of the brake line) that has three (spot welded) panels that overlap. The fix involves removing the sealant on the edges of the panels, then crimping over the edges combined with a series of (30) punch dimples to remove the flex resonance from the panel. Re-seal, paint, undercoat to finish the fix.

• 2 months later...
I have a 2011 Legacy that does the same thing. I believe it is caused by the rear "deck" (where the back seat speakers are, right behind the rear seats). The dealer told me that they've had several cases where they've had to remove that deck assembly, pad it, and reassemble it. For some reason, the problem only occurs in cold weather. I'm taking mine in for service while it is still under warranty.

I have noticed this, and it definitely sounds like ice cracking. The trunk design catches a lot of snow / ice below the read window, and I had assumed it was this ice releasing from the window / truck drainage areas...

My car is dry now, and the noise has not returned even after several -12 F days.

Sounds like we were talking about two different noises.

The metal popping noise I believe is associated to the TSB issued for the back passenger wheel well area.

The crackling noise sounds like ice that has formed in the trunk lid seal channel. I noticed that any time I washed my car there was a fair amount of water that accumulated in the channel. I would need to blow out the water if I didn't want it to streak the back of the car while driving.

As mentioned by others, this icing build up in the trunk lid channel sounds like the culprit.

... If you're wondering, this picture of rear deck lid channel was when I had to fish out a poor fitment LED brake light bulb, that fell out inside the tail light housing during a long trip home. :spin::spin:

I removed the LED brake lights and resistors after this PITA event and went back to OEM brake light bulbs. :mad:

P1010004.thumb.jpg.0e3c5920253e9db72bb679a522a1389c.jpg

• 9 months later...

I have a very loud popping or cracking noise coming from the rear of my car as well in cold weather. Its quite cold in WI right now so the noise usually has some residual effects throughout my drives. I have had my headliner replaced and this noise does not happen when its warm. I have also had my truck re-adjusted multiple time. I have owned the car for five years (OO if 2010 2.5i limited), but it has never been this bad.

Has anyone gotten their dealer to actually fix this? Its bad enough that I am about to walk away from Subaru.

Make sure to check your headliner as well. They have small plastic clips that like to unseat themselves. I had a loose one and pushed it back in and the noise seemingly went away to some degree. That being said I have been warming up my car like crazy lately which minimizing the loud cracking noise anyway.

The plastic push clip that was loose was in the middle of the rear window about 4 inches into the headliner. A strong push got it to click back in.

Please keep me posted about yor windshield, this noise has been going on for years!

i too have noticed this, the colder it is the louder and longer it happens. the worst i heard was when i had 2 other passengers (both men) and it was my first winter and their first time in the car and there was a particularly loud pop and WE ALL kinda 'yelped' out at the same time. lol. funny as hell now remembering, but it sure was embarrassing and concerning at the time. --(the rental car i am in (2013 crysler 200 limited (P.O.S.) is doing the same thing, just not as bad.)--

about a month ago i was detailing my car because it was unseasonably warm and noticed my head liner was ''not tucked in'' at the very back. i didnt do much with it at the time as didnt feel anything on the edge, but will have to check further back. thanks for the tip santillins15.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived