LegacyGT.com

Momo Steering Wheel

I've owned my '05 LGT from new and it only has a little over 100,000 miles on it. For the past several years the factory Momo steering wheel has been separating at the two joints near the top. (See photo)

My local Subaru dealership wants over $600 for a new part and another $200 for installation. Has anyone else seen this and have you had it repaired?

Any suggestions on good repair/rebuild shops?

Anyone have a good used one for sale?

Momo-Damage.thumb.jpg.4a086e462e1d3b827c90990c2dfc6f29.jpg

Cheap route for repair, put some high strength glue under the separation and wrap some string around the whole area to hold it in place. Let it cure at least 12 hours.

Mine was separating on one side and this is what I did.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Watch the couple of threads where the guy's have crashed their recently.

My Momo is in great shape still. Bought the car late June 2004. Hey it has a birthday coming up next week.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The install takes 10-15 minutes (5 if you know what you are doing). The dealer is insane for charging $200.

My thoughts exactly but I should point out that that's 200 Canadian dollars or about $150 USD. The dealership charges $110 (CDN) per hour and he based the time on recent air bag recall replacements. I guess they don't work quickly when Subaru is paying for it.

It would be nice to find a used one here on the forum.

Cheap route for repair, put some high strength glue under the separation and wrap some string around the whole area to hold it in place. Let it cure at least 12 hours.

Mine was separating on one side and this is what I did.

Thought of that but the gaps on both sides are so big now that there's not enough material to fill the spaces.

Thought of that but the gaps on both sides are so big now that there's not enough material to fill the spaces.

Just another idea for a fix. There's a few sites that sell leather steering wheel wraps that you can sew on yourself, might be able to trim down those sections and tightly sew in the gaps. This is going to be my next step, since my wheel is very worn.

Example:

http://redlinegoods.com/Legacy05shiftboot.php

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvi0j8AAqI8]How to Stitch a Race Leather Steering Wheel Cover - YouTube[/ame]

My wife's balls are delicious.

I found this place in Texas that rebuilds steering wheels. They tell me they can replace just the upper part of my steering wheel for around $200. They even have a photo on their web site of a wheel from a 4th gen Legacy on which they've repaired the same section by replacing it with a wood insert. Not the look I'm going for but I know they've worked on that wheel.

http://www.craftcustoms.com/pages/Make-Model-Subaru.htm

Now I only have to (carefully) remove the wheel from my car and ship it to them. I'll be without the car for a few weeks but luckily I have my Miata to drive.

Swapping steering wheels really is a simple job. Get a steering wheel/crank pulley puller from any auto parts store for $20 or something. They come with enough attachments to be universal, and are super handy.

Replacing literally takes 5 mins. You get two torx out from either side of the steering for the airbag , disconnect the airbag, and then remove the nut holding the steering down.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Replacing literally takes 5 mins. You get two torx out from either side of the steering for the airbag , disconnect the airbag, and then remove the nut holding the steering down.

Not if you're following proper protocol. That would include disconnecting the battery. And while that doesn't add much time, I'm sure the dealer has a bullshit protocol of documenting radio presets and other things they don't actually do before returning the car to you, which conveniently (for them) adds up to more than 1 hour of time, for which they can justify charging 2 hours labor.

do you really care for the MOMO embossed on the bottom? Because you can get any leatherwrapped 3 spoke subaru wheel thats exactly the same design for around $75-100 shipped. Tons of subaru's came with a variant of that wheel - legacy's, outbacks, forresters, imprezas...

Are DAMD wheels the only route to go if keeping the airbag and only replacing the rim?

No . Prova , K2 and a whole host of steering wheels can be used. They are all expensive though.

My high mileage turd.

How about wrecking yards? I'm sure someone here might have one for sale....

Good idea, but is there anyone out there with a good used OEM steering wheel (with shift buttons) for sale?

DAMD wheels? Not likely at those prices...

My high mileage turd.

Good idea, but is there anyone out there with a good used OEM steering wheel (with shift buttons) for sale?

DAMD wheels? Not likely at those prices...

The buttons transfer over if the donor doesn't come with. the piece you remove the 2 screws for the airbag also comes off to show the hidden screws holding the buttons from behind.

The wheel came to me like this....

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/33505AB3-46EB-4D71-927A-863A07DEB311_zpszkusbcgf.jpg~original

Once I got all the guts out of my wheel like Cruise Control and buttons it looked like this.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/5872157C-53ED-4096-B328-B47DF8DFCDD8_zps4x0yqaqi.jpg~original

Archived