LegacyGT.com

ACT HD Long Term Users

Adam393

I've been trying to find out how many miles to roughly expect out of the ACT HD setup, but have not found anyone posting how many miles they have on their clutches. I know this is a completely YMMV situation between mods and driving style, but I'd like to see some people post up about their longevity.

I've been on the HD and LWFW setup for just over a year/~20k, one failed launch last year, but otherwise a non-tracked/autoX'ed daily driven car at stage 2 levels. The clutch recently has been feeling weird and its making me worried about its health...

Anybody else out there care to give a report on their current long term ACT HD setup, or how long yours lasted, along with "stage" level?

Please only report if you have over 15k miles

Edit: Found someone who said they had 50k out of theirs, so theres one review...

I'll be able to tell you by Sat morning how mine is doing. If it's not my clutch hydraulics (going to be repairing the CSC with a subaru kit and new clutch line)...then it's most likely the ACT HD PP that failed.

I have about 2 years and 20k miles on the ACT HD clutch/PP/streetlight FW.

Well I bled my CMC today and my clutch feels great again. I just gotta keep an eye on the CMC and check the SMC if my top mount is ever off. Somehow a tiny bit of air is getting through, but I'm not losing fluid. Glad I don't have to worry about the clutch for now, but my question still remains for people!

Put mine on, with a TSK3 sleeve at ~98K, and has ~134K now, so over 35K miles. The TOB sings every morning (cold start-up) for the first few engagements. Other than some chatter, which may very well be due, initially, to a bad clutch line that I replaced at the same time. Caused some issues with CSC, and once that was replaced, engagement got better, still not perfect, but if you know what to expect, it's okay. Feels strong, doesn't slip and handles strong Stage 2 without issue.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Stage 2, put on at around 53K, have about 76.5K now, TSK3 sleeve kit too. Using my ACT with the 06+ WRX SMFW. I drive in NYC. Seems to be holding strongly. Like SBT, I also get the TOB noise for the first few engagements, and then it just goes away, absolutely no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

My entire clutch setup is on its way to ACT for warranty replacement. Pressure plate diaphragm cracked, believe I only had about 18.5k miles on the setup. ACT streetlight FW, HD clutch, pressure plate, and even the ACT TOB was used.

Switched to a comp clutch setup last weekend, almost done with the break-in period. Love it so far, very similar feel to my ACT setup.

Yeah, I had no problems with the act til the pp gave up on life. Held my power levels just fine (330+awtq with various mild turbo setups on e85). Loved the stiff pedal feel and knew the engagement point like the back of my hand. I will say that the clutch disc itself was starting to get noticeably worn when I pulled it, but she still had a little life in her.

Only got the comp after talking to losangeleslgt and his input on the comp stg 3.5 setup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How did the pedal feel change after you bled the CMC?

I am running the ACT HD & subaru flywheel, and along with a very stiff pedal, the engagement and pedal feel is pretty brutal and bad chatter at times. I am close to 15000k in.

My engagement is not bad at all, I personally like the stiff pedal as well. I fully bled my system a few weeks ago and the feel is great, but the engagement point wanders when going from a stop, so I'm wondering if there is something going wrong in the system...

FWIW, I got over 85,000 miles on my Spec 2+, it was still grabbing great when I replaced it with a Spec 2 when I put the new short block in.

The 2 is much easier to drive. Feels a lot like my OEM clutch in the 09 Spec B.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

OEM clutch, 90k miles, TO bearing noise growing more and more frequent, clutch grabs as strong as the day it was installed at the factory :)

Seriously though, I occasionally do test my clutch via 5th gear uphill low RPM WOT, and it's never shown a sign of slipping.

I can't speak for others, but my intention is to get a new OEM clutch - even up to 300wtq power levels. They are cheap and proven, unless you are going beyond stage 2.

• 5 months later...
Hey man how's the car? I was the second owner. I couldnt stay away from legacy's long I got a '10 GT now. But ill be honest I miss the 06 BAD!

Good God, I have no idea how I missed your post! PM'd you!

And as a self bump to this thread, I'm just about to hit 25k on this clutch (I just checked the service records, as I keep forgetting when it was put in. 65k and am just about to touch 90k). While the engagement point feels odd at times and wanders a bit in 1st, I routinely test 5th gear pulls every few weeks and it seems to be holding like a champ still. I will be going 18g around July, so I hope there is enough meat on it to last me for a while. I still secretly want it to go out, so that I will have an excuse to get rid of the LWFW!

I have thought my PP or LWFW could be warped, since the PO had a 6puck ACT for about 13k miles until I bought the car and had the HD disk put in. The LWFW and PP were just resurfaced...

I put in a new CMC/SMC and stainless clutch line from MachV, and that has helped a lot with my odd engagement issues. My old CMC was shot!

I'm at 15k with the ACT HDSS/Streetlite combo. It was difficult to drive in the beginning, but after recently swapping out the PO's LWCP for an OEM CP the car feels much better. No slip whatsoever, but the engagement is abrupt. Maybe I'll look into a SS clutch line once my fiancee lifts my mod ban:lol:

Archived