LegacyGT.com

The "2.5 WapWapWapWap" sound.

I am sure that there are several threads about this but the search feature on this board sucks (I bet tomorrow if I search "WapWap" this thread does not come up) so I am making this thread.

This is my third Subaru, third Subaru with the 2.5 engine so I am used to what I call the WapWapWap sound that comes from either the engine or the AWD tranny.

BUT my 2008 is just the loudest car I have ever had in my life! It is actually making me think about NOT getting another Subaru as my next car! The noise is just driving me nuts!

Is there ANYTHING I can do to get that Subaru AWD noise a bit lower? I thought it was noisy in my Impreza! Yikes!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope its engine noise. You can get a muffler shop to add another muffler after the last cat. My 08 is stock and is quiet

If its the transmission then something may be wrong? Or maybe you have cheap tires and they are super loud. My bros truck 'mud' tires are loud and make an uneven kind of sound on the freeway

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Guys, this is the sound that all 2.5s make brand new. Each one of the three I have owned have made the same noise (I bought two of them new) and my father in laws Forester makes the same noise and has made it since it was new.

It just seems that my Legacy is louder than any of my other Subies.

when does it do it ?

Bro, they ALL do it (well, my wifes 6cyl. Outback doesn't), you must just be used to it. :)

It starts out when you are moving along and then gets faster and faster as you get faster and faster.

Go and ride in a non-2.5 flat four Subaru and you will notice a much quieter ride.

i realy don't know what your talkiing about .. make a video or some thing .. i hate for you not to buy another subaru because of something stupid..

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

i realy don't know what your talkiing about .. make a video or some thing .. i hate for you not to buy another subaru because of something stupid..

Frank this is a common thing dude, I have seen countless threads about it.

And like I said, when I brought my first Subie to the dealer they said it was a normal sound.

I am just wondering if there is a trick to lower it a bit.

Bro, they ALL do it (well, my wifes 6cyl. Outback doesn't), you must just be used to it. :)

It starts out when you are moving along and then gets faster and faster as you get faster and faster.

Go and ride in a non-2.5 flat four Subaru and you will notice a much quieter ride.

http://media.kval.com/images/081021morris.jpg

Outrageous! Egregious! Preposterous!

the only thing i can think of is when you have the rear windows open and the pressure ossiliation that is verrryyyy annoying, but other cars do it much worse than the subies i have

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

the only thing i can think of is when you have the rear windows open and the pressure ossiliation that is verrryyyy annoying, but other cars do it much worse than the subies i have

No dude, it isn't that. :)

Archived