LegacyGT.com

Add me to the GT head gasket failure list

At the end of June during a gas stop I popped the hood to check the oil as I do every couple fill ups (I've never had to add oil, just a habit from owning an oil guzzling Audi long ago).

I was greeted with this crusty coolant reservoir.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x135/NVAKeith/LGT/94A6CA89-8E77-44B7-A945-4416794A25DF_zpsvifgklyb.jpg

It has never looked like that before! I checked the reservoir level and it was at full. I was going through my mind for reasons why it would have overflowed. My first suspicion was that my oil change mechanic must have topped it off during the last oil change. I stopped by to ask him and he didn’t recall topping it off. So I left thinking he may have inadvertantly put windshield washer fluid in there, mixing up the two adjacent yellow-capped reservoirs of blue fluid.

A couple weeks of commuting went by and the reservoir level didn’t change much and it didn’t overflow. I was set on my theory that windshield washer fluid was added to the coolant reservoir so I changed the coolant at home with fresh super blue.

After changing the fluid it was obvious something was wrong. The reservoir would overflow on highway drives and the fluid level in the reservoir was erratic as in it was different when I would randomly check it. That’s when I realized that the radiator had an air pocket in it and when I refilled the radiator directly and topped off the reservoir, the air pocket in the radiator would come back within a couple days. In denial of the obvious problem, I tried replacing the radiator cap to rule out that it was letting the system suck air on cool down, but that didn’t help. While idling after driving on the highway I could see air bubbling into the coolant reservoir from the radiator overflow hose.

Looking back, I suspect the radiator had a big air pocket in it when I had changed the coolant (I don’t know as I didn’t fully pop the cap before opening the radiator drain) and the radiator had lost enough coolant that it wasn't overflowing on my commute but still had enough left to keep the engine cool.

I dropped the car at the dealer and they confirmed it was the head gasket. They drove the car monitoring the coolant temp and said it wasn’t overheating but the combustion gasses filling the radiator was enough to justify tearing it apart.

They had the heads checked and they were fine. Once apart, they could see one small spot where the head gasket was leaking.

In conclusion, got new head gaskets under powertrain warranty; only 1,800 miles left on it! Had them do the 60k service and replace the clutch while it was apart.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So glad to hear it was under warranty. Funny how your story and chain of events sounds exactly like what I went through. I was just out of warranty though. Glad all is well with the car now. Did they install studs or just redo the head bolts?

Head bolts. I didn't ask about doing studs, should have, but I was just holding my breath that it would be taken care of without drama. Back when I had my WRX my tranny needed new syncros and the local dealer service really didn't want to touch it. When I finally got them to fix it I had to sign something stating that if they found evidence of abuse when they opened the tranny that I would have to cover the bill, etc. For the head gaskets the same local dealer cancelled my appointment twice due to techs calling in sick. So I ended up at a different dealer out of town for this, and I'm glad I did, they were awesome.

They did ask if I wanted to upgrade the clutch, but since I'm not going stage 2, I was fine with a stock replacement.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x135/NVAKeith/LGT/BA2BA978-9BE2-45A1-A02B-2DB2B9D41C20_zps18s3y27y.jpg

Just horrible, makes me want to cry as I've blown 2 head gaskets on my old bugeye, 2nd time I decided to part out the car. These boxers are always a time bomb and throwing 23psi of boost at it scares me everyday I drive it... This is just horrible horrible horrible!! Do we know how many LGT's have failed here on the forums? I've only heard of a few...

Continually updated list of 2010-2012 LGT owners who've done head gaskets.

2010Leggy @ 105k miles

Swannee225 @ 75k miles

Sarang @145k miles

solgt @ 78k miles

acumenhokie @ 55k miles

redstriker @ 24k and 85k miles

Slider

BBPeik

MoralHazard @135k miles

and 2 others that I cannot recall their names as they are not on here very much at all.

List of 2010-2012 LGT owners who've done head gaskets.

2010Leggy @ 105k miles

Swannee225 @ 75k miles

Sarang @145k miles

solgt @ 78k miles

Slider

BBPeik

and 2 others that I cannot recall their names as they are not on here very much at all.

Rookies!

acumenhokie @ 55k

The left and right? Or two seperate instances of HG failure? Mileage and mods?

2 separate instances.

First time is was around 24k with only a OTS stage 1 tune.

Second time was this year that I got fixed back in July at 85K miles on Stage 2 with supporting mods. Although, that was partly due to the First replacement of the head gasket and the dealer I went to at the time didn't do it correctly.

Same gasket failed or did they replace both like they should?

The first time it happened, they replaced both gaskets as they should, but they didn't bring the heads back into spec and didn't mill them down at all. Thus causing them to go again later on due to being heavily pitted. Second time, a different dealer did it correctly and sent the heads to a machine shop to be brought back into spec.

All those #ynansb (you need a new short block) aren't just to look pretty. Time and pressure kill anything mechanical...Me personally, I would get a rental for a week or so and then get a built short block then rebuild on that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

On turbo motors not so much...they usually give out from head lift. You can always unmarry the AP and play dumb...but that is a risky proposition as well. Your car could be blacklisted in Subaru's system, which wouldn't go over well with a potential trade or new buyer.

Best to accept the eventuality of having to pay to play!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Archived