Now I have done it - test driven the diesel Legacy

ehsnils

Would you like to own this car?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to own this car?

• Yes
    • No

http://www.bedug.com/pics/DSC_3056_small.JPG

It was a nice ride, basically not that different from the '04 gasoline 2.0L I have when it comes to the drivers area.

The difference was that the engine did have better torque - a lot better at low RPM:s, at least while you did keep it over 1000rpm. I did a test acceleration from about 800rpm, and it was never hesitating, but there were some minor vibrations at that RPM.

The engine is a 2.0L diesel engine with a combined supercharger and turbo, which means that it has better torque at lower rpms and a good performance at high rpms.

You wouldn't notice that it actually is a diesel in normal situations, a slight diesel sound when the engine is cold, and that it has to be glowed to start. The latter surprised me a bit since direct injection has been around for a while now.

One thing that is really surprising is the size of the engine - it's about 2" shorter than the 4 cylinder gasoline engine - which means that there is an incredible amount of space between the radiator fans and the engine. That would make it very simple to replace the belts. :wub:

I was also informed that there will be a beefed-up diesel in the future, but not that much more powerful right now, about 170hp.

And I also did get the answer why the diesel for the moment is delivered only with the MT5 gearbox - it's because the engine has a much higher torque - which the current AT gearboxes can't stand. They are developing a new AT gearbox especially for the diesel, so we will probably see that in a year or so.

And no word on a 6-cylinder diesel, which would make the car a beast to count on when towing. But the 4-cylinder isn't bad at all!

As for the pricing - it's a little more expensive than the gasoline, and the road tax here is about the double compared to the road tax for the gasoline version, but currently that evens out and makes the diesel cheaper already after about 4000km according to the salesman.

So - with AWD in a wagon with diesel - can you get a better car for daily driving? Sure - Jeremy Clarkson still don't like diesel!

453747.png

According to the information I got there is a combination. I didn't disassemble the engine to check... But I asked specifically about it. But of course - I may have been misinformed. Something to investigate.

Whomever gave you that information is wrong. The diesel only has a turbo, no supercharger.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/R5SxB_xltLI/AAAAAAAAhC4/ljGHom7NMcw/s1600/SubaruDiesel4.jpg

I have to vote no, but just barely.

I vote no, because I want my Legacy to be a performer.

But, if that were fulfilled, a second car could be cool to be a diesel, and more utilitarian.

And as much as I like the Legacy wagon... a utilitarian diesel subaru would take better form as a Forester, or even a correctly executed Baja replacement with diesel power, which will probably NEVER happen, since they missed the mark with the first one.

Legacy -> Performance driver's practical car.

Diesel -> Utilitarian worker/economical car -> better served by Forester body style.

Both good, but they don't really intersect to very much common ground.

I am not saying they should not build it, although, diesel seems like a better choice for either more utility (SUV/CUV/Truck-let) or economy (impreza lineup)...

I am just saying, I would either buy a Legacy with a higher performance gas engine, or a different subaru, like a Forester, with a diesel, because the combinations just make more sense, for the intention of the vehicles.

Subaru can build it if they want, but if my views make as much sense as they do to me ( :D ), then I wouldn't be surprised to have a diesel legacy not do as well as other formats.

And we've been over the subject of Legacy being Subaru's bread and butter, and that requiring a little action and effort on SOA's part, to get the cars out there, and advertise them, AND to differentiate them from the more mainstream front-drivers out there. If people want a Subaru Camry, they will find that the Toyota Camry is a better Camry. Legacy needs to be LEGACY, not Subaru's Camry version.

That is a fair comparison, and that is fine.

I just think it will be interesting to compare the sales figures, especially in the US, (europe is more diesel friendly for passenger cars, anyway)

and see if Forester, Impreza, Outback, and Legacy compare... or if Forester and Impreza diesel sales outpace Outback, and especially Legacy diesel sales.

Part of it might be that Impreza and Forester out-sell Legacy anyway, and SOA does nothing FOR Legacy to sell...

But if I were getting a diesel, it would either be a work horse, like an SUV, or as cheap an economy car as possible. If i were looking for a new Legacy, I would buy one for the same reason I bought the one I have... because it is a somewhat premium, affordable performance sedan, not for it's economy, or it's ultimate utility.

"comparisition"? I didn't know you were a President Bush fan. :lol:

Yeah good one....take a dig at a very well respected member on these forums who also happens to be a moderator....English isnt his first language and I think he does phenomenally well on here. What chance would you stand on a swedish forum?

As for the car...I like it, I voted yes....America isn't ready to accept the diesel yet, so I don't know how long it will be until they see them over there. I saw one the other day on the road here, everytime i see any 08+ wagon here I'm reminded how much of a shame it is that it is not available in the US anymor :(

Why don't any of the cool cars come to the US???

I wouldn't want it as my only car, but for the wife a diesel forester or legacy wagon would be great! The Forester can get close to 600 miles on a tank (16.7gal tank)!

What a great deal on family roadtrips!

Why don't any of the cool cars come to the US???

I wouldn't want it as my only car, but for the wife a diesel forester or legacy wagon would be great! The Forester can get close to 600 miles on a tank (16.7gal tank)!

What a great deal on family roadtrips!

Taking prices from Gasbuddy.com; lowest price gas in NY (not sure where you are) gas is $1.64 and diesel is $2.50

From the Subaru UK website, the diesel Forester gets an extra 8.75 mpg (US) over it's gas equivalent.

For a 600 mile drive, you will consume 16.3 gallons of diesel ($40.75) or 21.4 gallons of gas ($35.10).

Therefore it's still cheaper to drive a gas powered car.

Archived