LegacyGT.com

Project Legacy Gt outback begins...

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting strut spacers will not solve the bottoming out issue. I really don't see a point of a 1 inch spacer if you do not get any additional usable travel out of the stock suspension.

I have some 20mm spacers coming. So that should fix the offset problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Put on my winter wheels for shits and giggles. 17x7 225/55/17

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/13/a9904ad43a489e56f1d98d24f35ce10a.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/13/2353efc74b6536d312684cd7e0c024bc.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/13/8e70c6fe30d4db85bef397c5c8f485b0.jpg

Getting strut spacers will not solve the bottoming out issue. I really don't see a point of a 1 inch spacer if you do not get any additional usable travel out of the stock suspension.

I have some 20mm spacers coming. So that should fix the offset problem.

Lol ever stop and think maybe you bought the wrong vehicle for your hobbies/life?

Personally, I would have purchased a turbo Forester with manual transmission or a turbo Outback Wagon with manual if they made one, but that's not an option. Good on the OP for trying something new and making his car what he wants/needs it to be. Some people find it silly to buy a LGT and then throw a fortune in suspension/brake/wheel upgrades to make it track worthy, when they can just buy a track worthy sports car off the showroom floor, but to each his own. For my needs I just want stock ride height, but with stiffer springs to sharpen up the handling, prevent bottoming out, and to support the rear end better when hauling bikes or towing a small trailer. I won't be doing a Outback suspension swap myself. I have a couple other ideas in mind but I'm still researching.

BTW, the car looks a lot better with those 17" wheels and tires.

Trust me, I would have loved an outback xt with a manual....

I am sorry that I offended anyone for not lowering my car and put some massively wide concave wheels under those massive wheel wells. And I don't see how the gt brakes are too weak for the larger tires since the 3.6r outback has the same exact brake setup.

I am going to get some 235/50/18 tires on the stock 18x7.5 wheels. The 20mm spacers will give me an offset of 35mm. My winter setup is 17x7.5 +40mm offset.

I think it should look similar, if not a little more aggressive.

As for the bumpers, I am planning on getting the 13-14 outback bumper and probably the black outback wheel arch molding kit.

For reference I took my 91ss put spacers and tires 3xs bigger than stock. Why? Because I can. Same thing here, kudos to you man! Big arches just mean big tires!

Plus how many foresters have oversized tires? Alot. Even outbacks.

So keep after it, everyone has a different vision.

Why do we upgrade for more power? Because we can. Why does OP lift his LGT into a monster? Because he can.

Thank you captain obvious.

Trust me, I would have loved an outback xt with a manual....

I am sorry that I offended anyone for not lowering my car and put some massively wide concave wheels under those massive wheel wells. And I don't see how the gt brakes are too weak for the larger tires since the 3.6r outback has the same exact brake setup.

I am going to get some 235/50/18 tires on the stock 18x7.5 wheels. The 20mm spacers will give me an offset of 35mm. My winter setup is 17x7.5 +40mm offset.

I think it should look similar, if not a little more aggressive.

As for the bumpers, I am planning on getting the 13-14 outback bumper and probably the black outback wheel arch molding kit.

No one here is offended. Your car you do what you want. I see what you were going for but I think you are limited by the platform, hence the buying a different car comment.

I think you misunderstood what I said about tires and brakes. The most recent photos show the fender situation is going to limit you unless you get ballsy and start trimming. It already looks like you are close to rubbing. Typically when people do this kind of thing they go with smaller wheels and larger rubber. I was saying you don't have the option to do that because the GT brakes are too big. 15's aren't going to fit.

Well I am not going to get AT tires. I am not going to take the car offroad. I am really not interested in fitting a 70 series tire on my car.

The original goal of the swap to to fix the bottoming out issue and to give me extra ground clearance so I don't scrap my hitch bike rack everywhere.

The stock gt tire 225/45/18 is still way undersized vs. the outback tire 225/60/17. I can safely go 235/50/18 with an tire diameter that is still smaller than the stock outback tire.

Thank you captain obvious.

http://cdn.soundandvision.com/images/styles/600_wide/public/090914_Signals_promo.png?itok=_ldGivqv

Now it needs a nice push bar on the front with some fogs. That would look killer!

I think a big part of why it doesn't quite look right is the bumper covers. the bottoms of them are "pointing" too high on the wheel now. Outback bumpers would probably correct this no doubt, but I think the easiest thing would be to modify the current bumper covers by cutting a slit in them, say 3-4 inches from the bottom back from the wheel arches almost to the front, bending it down a few inches, fixing it in place with a piece of aluminum and some epoxy then fibre- glassing in the gap and finishing.

Not sure if that makes sense. Basically get the bottom/rear of the front bumper cover to be pointing down, and lowered an inch, leaving the front where it is. So its sloped down more. Just a thought.

Or just attach something to the bottom of it to give the same visual effect.

Edited by brandon.mol

Installed the wheel spacers.

Before

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/20/5e2812347e6f821708ebc963da85ca04.jpg

After

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/20/73a5722738c523a43ff7d234a29c310a.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/20/1dd4f1a80c341a75013878a46a4bf30f.jpg

The adjustable trailing links and new tires should be here on Saturday. Will post an update of the install.

I dont think I would go this route but I am LOVING this thing man!! I think it looks GREAT! What tires/size did you end up getting? Very interested to see what it will look like with a little meat on the wheels.

I had thought about doing this a while ago, having a higher suspension for the winter and lower for the summer. Seeing you actually do it has confirmed it even more in my mind. Cant wait to see what set of rims you go with, think it looks great!

I plan on doing a couple of rallycross events in the cny area. Really interested in how the car will handle on the dirt.

As for tires, I went with 235/50/18. It's already a good 1.3 inches bigger in diameter. I could probably fit a 235/55/18, however, I don't want to risk it.

I can't wait for the winter to come.