LegacyGT.com

brake pad install cost!

rvlmtfnk

i went to cochran subaru down in monroeville, pa, and they told me that they charge $200+tax to install brake pads and to machine the rotors. they say they only install brake pads after machining the rotors. sounds like a lot of money, but obviously i don't know the going rates... should i just bring it to pep-boys and have them install it ($99), or do you think i should just bite the bullet and get the dealership to install it. they seem friendly and much more professional than pep-boys though.

^+1 although how will he resurface his rotors?

was it 200 just for front pads and rotors or was it for front and rear?

$200 is actually a prety good shop price for a 4-wheel brake job with rotor resurfacing.

usually a shop will charge 2 hrs of labor each for front and rear making it 4 hrs total for a 4 wheel brake job.

Sure do PepBoys cheap semi metallic pads and have them put them on, once they squeal(sp) like a pig destined for bacon you'll wish you had the dealership or yourself do them. Still, you could ask." is that the best price you can do it for?", sometimes they will lower their price. But then again your avatar show's you have GC05's so you must be a "baller" so a simple $200 bones is chicken feed!

tHe HoV

^+1 although how will he resurface his rotors?

It's not always necessary to resurface. The fact that the place he's taking them wants to resurface either means that they've run into problems in the past from not doing so, or that they'd like to pad their prices.

As was said above, unless you've got some bad grooves cut into your rotors, you don't always need to resurface them.

all that said, yeah 200 bucks for 4 wheels plus resurfacing isn't a bad price at all... though I'd still rather do them myself. On the other hand, the OP only mentioned 200 as an *install* price, not install plus parts.

well i went back to the dealership to get everything done today because the blizzardy weather + bad brakes = BAD. so i just bit the bullet. apparently the cause of the problem was that my rotors were warped. so they machined all four rotors, and while they were at that, i told them to install new brake pads since they were almost gone anyway. $220 for labor ($110 each for front and rear), $95 for front pads, $85 for rear pads. so total came out to be $410+tax.

i gotta say i was very impressed with the service dept at #1 Cochran Subaru. brought the car in, 15 minutes later they tell me what's wrong, and 50 minutes later all the rotors were machined and the brake pads were on. i think they got a few guys to work on the car so that they could get off work by 5pm. but in any case, very prompt service. i would recommend them for sure.

Did you know that brakes are covered under warranty? Or is your car out of warranty?

I paid about $800-900 to get all four brake pads and rotors done (OEM parts). New pads and rotors including labor. This was at an independent shop before I knew that Subaru covered brakes under warranty.

i'm out of the 3/36 warranty, and the gold plan extended warranty i have doesn't cover brakes...

they told me new rotors would have been an addtional $360 for all four, but i guess they wouldn't have had to machine the old ones, so labor would have been less.

normally, pads are covered for 12k miles or 12 mos because most manufacturers consider them a wear item.

now if the material cracks or comes apart, then they might consider that a defect covered after 12k, but i'm not sure about subies....

any ideas...

I agree, $200 is good price for resurface and oem pads. Check if they flush your lines with new fluid as well. I have done several brake jobs on other vehicles and alot of times if you don't turn your rotors, the new pads won't seat properley and you will end up warping your rotors beyond repair...Of course it depends on your driving style...But for somone that does not have the time to do it themself $200 for the whole deal is a good price from the dealership. I

Archived